The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

Ok, so I'm a bit frustrated here. I'm on my 5th attempt at painting the shield now. This last try, I put the paint in a warm bucket of water for 20 minutes, shook the bejesus out of the can, had the shield mounted vertically. I also, cleaned the shield like a made man with acetone, and wore gloves to prevent any finger printing. My red has come out splotchy and uneven. I've painted a ton of things, never have I had so many issues with a rattle can of paint. Please forgive my attitude here, but HELP!

Which paint?

I bet he's talking about the Duplicolor. It does like to go on uneven.
Im hoping with my tests, I can extract the paint from the can and see how it atomizes out of my full size paint gun.

Yes I am talking about the Dupicolor. The environment I painted in was 75^, shady spot, low humidity.

I'll post pics later tonight when I get home from work.

Yes I am talking about the Dupicolor. The environment I painted in was 75^, shady spot, low humidity.

I'll post pics later tonight when I get home from work.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I love the color and effect, but it atomizes very unpredictibly.
My tests will help confirm or rule out a problem with the design of the can nozzle.

Here's some pictures of the shield. Ignore the white ring in the one pic, it was a camera flash incident. Sorry about picture size, first time i uploaded to RPF.
DSCN0401.jpg

DSCN0400.jpg

DSCN0399.jpg

DSCN0398.jpg

DSCN0397.jpg

How long did you wait between coats? More than 5-10 minutes?
How far away from the shield did you hold the can?
How fast did you spray the paint back and forth?
For the last coat, did you try to go in slow and close for a glossy look? I'm gonna venture a guess that that is what happened and or you waited too long before applying the last coat.

I took a bunch of pictures during my build, but didn't think to take pictures between coats.

Here are some FAIL shots:

DSC01240.jpg

DSC01246.jpg

Sprayed while shield laying flat. I think I went to slow and too close.

Finally I got results that I was satisfied with, nice uniform color throughout.

DSC01283.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

I took the shield to a body shop to have them apply the clear coats. I was hoping the clear coat would bring out the anodized look.

DSC01363.jpg

DSC01347.jpg

It did and I am pleased with the results. As always, thanks to Valor for his help.
If I were to do anything different, I think I would wet sand it lightly before clear coating.

How long did you wait between coats? More than 5-10 minutes? Waited 6 minutes between each coat.
How far away from the shield did you hold the can? 8", even made a set up the was a stick 8" from shield and never went any closer.
How fast did you spray the paint back and forth? I did a quick spray and move, should I go slow and deliberate. I'm trying to follow Valors suggestions from other threads I've been reading.

Has anyone tried putting a clearcoat down FIRST and then putting the color on top of it? I know when I'm painting some metal things if I clearcoat first I get a better bite out of the paint on top.

Chris, could you tell me your method of painting for the testors cans? Do I need to take all the steps like soaking can for 20 minutes in warm water-etc?

Louis that looks fantastic ... and hey! You took my guitar stand idea. Great job!

Thank you my friend. If you're ever down in Florida, first round is on me. Yeah, I went with the guitar stand idea and after I took that picture, I added a styrofoam cylinder (painted black with an added felt pad), and now the shield stands upright. I went that route after my girlfriend caught me looking at the walls looking for a place to hang the shield. lol

Getting back to the paint job, I'm wondering how many people wet sanded their shield BEFORE applying the clearcoat. The Dupli-Color metalcast paints have some interesting qualities. The pictures really do not do the shield justice, as I think it looks better in person. I love how the color is even throughout but appears to change with the lighting. I also love how you can see the spun aluminum beneath the color.

Points to consider: After I painted the shield, I noticed that with just my finger, I could rub areas and remove some paint where I thought it was too dark or uneven. Because of this, I was afraid to wet sand it or apply anything else, out of fear I would remove too much color and have to start all over again. So I took it to the body shop with the paint even in color, but it was not a smooth glossy finish. The guys at the body shop did nothing to the surface either, but I was told that multiple clear coats were applied and that the sprayer did some smoothing out between coats. I am thrilled with the end results. The color pops, and the finish is super strong, shiny and smooth. However, if you look closely at the shield in person, there does appear to be, for lack of a better word, a "textured" look. Again, the finish is super smooth but the color does not give a perfectly detailed reflection. Make sense?

That's why I said, if I were to attempt it again, I might wet sand it before doing the clear coat. Just wanted to share that experience to get feedback from the pros and to help anyone currently working on their shields.

So, as a in progress shield painter. Should I strip and repaint, or wet sand to atttempt to get an even color before going to blue and star epoxying?

Chris, could you tell me your method of painting for the testors cans? Do I need to take all the steps like soaking can for 20 minutes in warm water-etc?

no, I never have.. just shake and spray on a vertical shield. They come out much smoother for me than the dupicolor, but again, Valor had a different experience. My weather conditions here are 65 - 95 degrees F with 30 to 60% humidity.. i do not paint over 60% humidity but that's all we've had here lately.

as far as wetsanding goes, everytime I personally tried it, it made the paint more opaque in nature and less transparent. This also darkened the paint at the same time, naturally. I recommend avoiding wet sanding unless you need to, as it yields the opposite results that you may want.

My test paint was wetsanded, buffed then satin coated and you can see what the pictures look like. It does not really dull the paint, buffing helped.
The satin clearcoat helped to even it all out.

Here is another view of my test paint.
Again, this was painted with the Duplicolor, wetsanded, buffed, satin coated and another buff.
20120625_104139.jpg

Frosty, I think you link is broken. its showing up as Image has been moved or deleted?

Nevermind-I see it now after refreshing a few times.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back