The "I'm painting a Captain America Shield" thread

The testors paints are more transparent and smoother for me. They give a more realistic anodized looking finish than the dupicolor, and the shades of each color are better. Valor had a different experience though.

Id like to see a shield painted with the Testors stuff.
Maybe its worth checking out. Im about empty on the DC red so I need to restock anyway.

Speaking of Valor...where are you with some more advice?

I'm sure he's busy today.

I posted a pic of shield with the testors paint in the other thread... not sure which one that was though.. lol

Yes! I saw those Shields. Your work is brilliant. certainly my biggest inspiration.
I can't really tell the difference in color with the Testors in your photo, could be something that has to be seen in person.
Are there any tips and suggestions you can offer for application of the Testors paints?

I have my blank sitting here in front of me and after going through, what felt like, 50 threads...... I can officially say I'm scared about how to get my shield painted and looking good..... Is methylated spirits good to use for cleaning the shield of any fingerprints before painting? I want my shield to be awesome but I'm freakin out about making mistakes!!

:$

Robo has to hang around for at least another week.
It's been so humid lately that I'm concerned about cure time, so just on the safe side I will have to be an uber geek and have a RoboCop helmet and Captain America shield hanging around the shop....

LMAO No worries! Sounds good!

I have my blank sitting here in front of me and after going through, what felt like, 50 threads...... I can officially say I'm scared about how to get my shield painted and looking good..... Is methylated spirits good to use for cleaning the shield of any fingerprints before painting? I want my shield to be awesome but I'm freakin out about making mistakes!!

No worries! Acetone is good for cleaning it up of any oils and fingerprints. And you probably will make a mistake! Bit the acetone will take the paint right off so you can try again. :thumbsup

I had an interesting idea regarding the Duplicolor paint:
The main problem people seem to be having with this product (me including) is that it does not spray out of the can as nicely as some other brands.
Even after a complete warm-up of the paint and borderline abusive shaking, the paint still comes out in an almost unpredictable "cloud".

If the problem has less to do with the actual paint formula and more to do with atomization, perhaps extracting the paint from the can and using in a professional paint gun would make application much easier and cleaner.

I've extracted paint from cans many times when I've wanted to use them in my airbrush for fine kits. Most of the time, the paint is already thinned out and ready to go right into the airbrush.
The only downfall to this is that you have to make sure the paint is constantly stirred during the extraction process to release all the gas that was trapped in the can.

With the Duplicolor paint, being laquer based, I am confident that the formula is stable enough to full extract from the can and use in a professional full-size paint gun.

Next week when I am back in the shop, I will test this process out. First I have to buy more of the red since I burned throught the first can doing my tests (but a very valuable investment as I learned a lot from this paint) and I think I can get better results in round 2 by using the paint through an alternative application vehicle.

If I'm wrong or it just does not make much of an improvement - no harm done, I've still learned something AND I still have the Testors products to try out.

I should probably purchase a sheet of alluminum from the hardware store to test on. I don't like the idea of having to paint and strip the shield over and over again.

The testors paints are more transparent and smoother for me. They give a more realistic anodized looking finish than the dupicolor, and the shades of each color are better. Valor had a different experience though.

Definitely test them both. That's the beauty of these cheap options. $25 and you can compare the two.

Definitely test them both. That's the beauty of these cheap options. $25 and you can compare the two.

Absolutely. :thumbsup
What I will do is see if I can control the Duplicolor better in a full-size paint gun and also pick up the Testors paints and test those out as well.

Since I am in no big hurry to finish this, I have plenty of time to practice and experiment.
Who knows - I might just learn some new things along the way!

Yes! I saw those Shields. Your work is brilliant. certainly my biggest inspiration.
I can't really tell the difference in color with the Testors in your photo, could be something that has to be seen in person.
Are there any tips and suggestions you can offer for application of the Testors paints?

Same as the dupicolor, just easier to use in my opinion.

Absolutely. :thumbsup
What I will do is see if I can control the Duplicolor better in a full-size paint gun and also pick up the Testors paints and test those out as well.

Since I am in no big hurry to finish this, I have plenty of time to practice and experiment.
Who knows - I might just learn some new things along the way!

Hey, if you have an airbrush, then get the tamiya airbrush paints and mix your own colors to get the right shades of red and blue! That would by far be the best option I think.

To those who have done a battle damaged shield, educate a young padawan please!! LOL

What is the best way to get some or the bullet grazes or scorch marks on the shield?

To those who have done a battle damaged shield, educate a young padawan please!! LOL

What is the best way to get some or the bullet grazes or scorch marks on the shield?

I personally like using acetone to wipe the bullet streaks into the shield (so it looks like the bullets scrapped the paint right off, revealing the metal beneath). Then use a matte finish black brush paint to add detailed burn marks around the bullet marks. Then use a black matte spray from far back to give a smoke look on certain parts. Adding silver paint in small section to the bullets marks as well looks nice as it appears as smeared lead on the surface.

I personally like using acetone to wipe the bullet streaks into the shield (so it looks like the bullets scrapped the paint right off, revealing the metal beneath). Then use a matte finish black brush paint to add detailed burn marks around the bullet marks. Then use a black matte spray from far back to give a smoke look on certain parts. Adding silver paint in small section to the bullets marks as well looks nice as it appears as smeared lead on the surface.

Friggin' great idea. I recall having to remove the paint from my shield two times with acetone. I can see how with just a dab one could easily create bullet streaks. Nice tip.

I'm surprised that after all the effort to make it you could take paint off! :lol

Ok, so I'm a bit frustrated here. I'm on my 5th attempt at painting the shield now. This last try, I put the paint in a warm bucket of water for 20 minutes, shook the bejesus out of the can, had the shield mounted vertically. I also, cleaned the shield like a made man with acetone, and wore gloves to prevent any finger printing. My red has come out splotchy and uneven. I've painted a ton of things, never have I had so many issues with a rattle can of paint. Please forgive my attitude here, but HELP!

Ok, so I'm a bit frustrated here. I'm on my 5th attempt at painting the shield now. This last try, I put the paint in a warm bucket of water for 20 minutes, shook the bejesus out of the can, had the shield mounted vertically. I also, cleaned the shield like a made man with acetone, and wore gloves to prevent any finger printing. My red has come out splotchy and uneven. I've painted a ton of things, never have I had so many issues with a rattle can of paint. Please forgive my attitude here, but HELP!

Can you post pictures of your latest attempt?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back