My Rocketeer Jetpack

asavage

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all, many saw this video on our site, Tested.com about my engine painting for my Rocketeer pack.

Inside Adam Savage's Man Cave: The Rocketeer Rocket Pack - Tested

It's an ACME kit and I've rarely received such fine castings, really a cinch to put together. Cutting out the vent holes wasn't trivial, but the castings are crazy clean and lovely. I'm including some pics of my engines.

I also decided to invest in having the entire rocket pack chromed. It was spendy (over 1600 bucks). But MAN it's gorgeous.

I'll post more pix as I progress, which may be after comic-con, hard to say, because I've got a LOT to get ready for Comic-con.

Having a hard time locating the fan. Anyone? I'm going to use some LED strip lights like this:
Amazon.com: HitLights Warm White Double Density 600 LEDs Flexible Light Strip, 3528 Type SMD, 5 Meter or 16.4 Ft, 12 Volt, 48 Watt: Home Improvement

to light the inside of the pack. Anyone here do Arduino programming? I'd like a startup sequence where you push a secret button and the inside lights up kinda warm white and yellow (like the inside of an old radio) and then the fan starts to spin, and then the engines glow (I'm planning to use more strip lights and some recessed clear vacuform to make some engine glow look cool).

Also: does anyone have a pair of Rocketeer gloves that they want to sell me?

Another member here is painting my ACME helmet for me (with the liner, thank you!) and I'll post pix when I get it from him. Trading some toolage with the Munson for the jacket and I should have a servicable finhead in short order!

Nice, really like the engine work you have done. :thumbsup
Chrome is a bit on the shiney IMO, and wow $1600? I can get mine done for around $450 but decided against it since it just doesn't have the right look, again IMO.
I look forward to seeing the finished piece though I'm sure it will look fantastic.

This is one of those props that is so cool but I just can't get into the movie. Amazing job Adam.

Adam didn't see in your pics the thrust vectoring panels. I PM'ed you about a pic of a rocketeer prop display I saw at Disney World.

This is one of those props that is so cool but I just can't get into the movie. Amazing job Adam.

:lol funny, I never really got into it myself either... But I still had to include a helmet in my collection because it is still iconic. Probably would love a jetpack too :)

man do i wish to have that kind of cash to spend on amazing s tuff like this. Its a bit too shiny for me, but thats just personal taste. anyway, its still awesome, and i envy you

Nice stuff, Adam. I have an ACME kit waiting to start. I was considering silver rub n buff for it since I never have luck with the chrome paint. Do you have a plan to knock back that shine?

It won't stay that shiny. I'll age it down and beat it up. But it was pretty astonishing to pull it out of the wrapper.

This won't make an appearance at SDCC, I have other plans for the CON.

Anyone from the RPF coming to Wootstock? We're doing one on the Thursday night in SD.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back