Luke Skywalker ANH Costume Build

uzthe4c

Hi everyone! Finally got my 20 post to start posting some pics of my Luke ANH custom I have been compiling and putting together for two years now. I am not one to post until I get pretty close of being done but everyone knows your are never truly finished.

I have been reviewing several forums, junkyard listings, awesome topics and threads on several designs, screen used items, fabric, accessories and most of all those whom already put together costume that just look amazing.

I have collected several accurate pieces, created assemblies of the belt myself and designed and worked with my seamstress "My Mother" to create what I have today. I designed my tunic and my boots and thought they came out fairly well for my first go at it. Thanks to ALOT of screen captures and Google searches as well as the Star Wars Vintage Photos that my buddy runs on FB.

Well I am excited to share my pics as well as some fun photoshop shots I put together. Sorry these are not professional shots but for now it will do. Please enjoy and give me some feedback for improvements. Every comment is welcomed.

Luke ANH Costume:
Tunic: hand-made, weathers and sewn with Linen material - off white
Belt - 2 inch Tandy Leather dyed with Brown
Hardware Belt - Local Hardware Store
LightSabre - 3 cell Graflix
Droid Caller - Kolbalt - ( not correct version)
Triangle Pouch - Screen Accurate
Long Pouch - Replica created
Dual Pouch - Screen Accurate
Pants - Khaki
Leg Wraps - Hand-Made
Boots - Hand-made Boot Covers - Waiting for Suede dye

Thanks for looking:
G-man

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Finally got my 20 post to start posting some pics of my Luke ANH custom I have been compiling and putting together for two years now. I am not one to post until I get pretty close of being done but everyone knows your are never truly finished.

I have been reviewing several forums, junkyard listings, awesome topics and threads on several designs, screen used items, fabric, accessories and most of all those whom already put together costume that just look amazing.

I have collected several accurate pieces, created assemblies of the belt myself and designed and worked with my seamstress "My Mother" to create what I have today. I designed my tunic and my boots and thought they came out fairly well for my first go at it. Thanks to ALOT of screen captures and Google searches as well as the Star Wars Vintage Photos that my buddy runs on FB.

Well I am excited to share my pics as well as some fun photoshop shots I put together. Sorry these are not professional shots but for now it will do. Please enjoy and give me some feedback for improvements. Every comment is welcomed.

Luke ANH Costume:
Tunic: hand-made, weathers and sewn with Linen material - off white
Belt - 2 inch Tandy Leather dyed with Brown
Hardware Belt - Local Hardware Store
LightSabre - 3 cell Graflix
Droid Caller - Kolbalt - ( not correct version)
Triangle Pouch - Screen Accurate
Long Pouch - Replica created
Dual Pouch - Screen Accurate
Pants - Khaki
Leg Wraps - Hand-Made
Boots - Hand-made Boot Covers - Waiting for Suede dye

Thanks for looking:
G-man

AWESOME !!!! Looks spot on....."It's just not fair"...lol

This has never been one of my favorite costumes, but you certainly pull it off exceptionally well!! You certainly look the part and did a great job. I am impressed.

If I can offer just a couple of minor suggestions though, I think the 'soft parts' of your costume are a little too loose. I would suggest looking for a pair of tan colored Levi's for the pants, and the sleeves of your top/shirt (Gi?) are a little too loose as well.

Otherwise, it's definitely spot-on! I'm extremely impressed by the accuracy of the belt & props! Great job!

DS Operative,
Thanks for the kind words and feedback. The pants are very hard to pull off the exact color. Especially in different lighting. Plus watching the films and looking at screen shots the color really changes with the lighting and such. Plus I am 6'2 so I am a little tall for a Luke so things appear a bit different on me then Mark...lol.

The Tunic again is a scratch build with no patterns. It was pretty tough to determine all the lines. I did notice some slight changes I would like to make as well but some of your points are noted. I need to weather a bit more as well.
Also thanks on the compliments on the props and belt. I think all the work came out great.

G-man

I'm really impressed! You definitely nailed the belt, pouches, etc. The saber and droid caller are spot on based on that picture as well.

The Tunic looks nearly perfect from what I can tell, although you may want to weather it a bit more, which is what I plan to do when I remake mine. Do you have any pictures with your arm held out parallel to the floor so that we can see the taper of the sleeve? Several things that make this tunic unique is that it's cut from four different pieces of material. The left front, right front, back, and collar. The sleeves are included with the first three parts with a wide sleeve hem. Also it features splits on the lower sides just under where the belt goes when worn.

The pants are tricky because they need to be slightly form fitting, though baggy enough to bunch a bit at the knees, which should allow you to flex your legs with ease. Also to allow for the puttees to be wrapped, there is a split on the inseam, from below the knee, to the ankle to allow the pants to be wrapped around your leg and lie flat when the puttees are wound on. I didn't do this with my pants, but I will be with my new pair as it will all fit together better when worn.

The coloring is tough, because as you mentioned, the colors look different depending on the lighting conditions. For my new version I'll be making my pants from Brushed Denim Twill in a 9-10 oz weight, in Natural, and Vanilla Sanded Twill (a creamy off-white color) for my new tunic. The puttees and boots for my costume are a wheat colored suede that reacts in different light. In some light it appears almost pinkish (as can be seen in the sequence where Obi-Wan rescues Luke from the Sand People) and an off white color (as seen during the chase with the stormtroopers in the Death Star.) If you can afford boots, I can't recommend Jdos Productions enough! His work is superb and the quality and accuracy of his Luke ANH Boots are worth every penny!

Great looking costume my friend! Looking forward to seeing more, whether it be this one or another.

Spectacular G man! You even have the droid caller D ring in the right spot!
:cheers:cheers

Thank you Cameron!
I appreciate the feedback. Yeah after reading several posts and threads on these boards I did get it on the correct spot for the droid caller. It was tough because 1. That little plastic piece is so fragile and I think my D ring was a bit bigger in size. So the plastic piece did crack so I just E6000 it to death with the D-Ring in it.

Thanks again,
G-man

I'm really impressed! You definitely nailed the belt, pouches, etc. The saber and droid caller are spot on based on that picture as well.

The Tunic looks nearly perfect from what I can tell, although you may want to weather it a bit more, which is what I plan to do when I remake mine. Do you have any pictures with your arm held out parallel to the floor so that we can see the taper of the sleeve? Several things that make this tunic unique is that it's cut from four different pieces of material. The left front, right front, back, and collar. The sleeves are included with the first three parts with a wide sleeve hem. Also it features splits on the lower sides just under where the belt goes when worn.

The pants are tricky because they need to be slightly form fitting, though baggy enough to bunch a bit at the knees, which should allow you to flex your legs with ease. Also to allow for the puttees to be wrapped, there is a split on the inseam, from below the knee, to the ankle to allow the pants to be wrapped around your leg and lie flat when the puttees are wound on. I didn't do this with my pants, but I will be with my new pair as it will all fit together better when worn.

The coloring is tough, because as you mentioned, the colors look different depending on the lighting conditions. For my new version I'll be making my pants from Brushed Denim Twill in a 9-10 oz weight, in Natural, and Vanilla Sanded Twill (a creamy off-white color) for my new tunic. The puttees and boots for my costume are a wheat colored suede that reacts in different light. In some light it appears almost pinkish (as can be seen in the sequence where Obi-Wan rescues Luke from the Sand People) and an off white color (as seen during the chase with the stormtroopers in the Death Star.) If you can afford boots, I can't recommend Jdos Productions enough! His work is superb and the quality and accuracy of his Luke ANH Boots are worth every penny!

Great looking costume my friend! Looking forward to seeing more, whether it be this one or another.

Psab,
THANK YOU TOO! Great feedback. Interesting info on the Tunic and pants. I can say I went freely with the tunic. No pattern whats so ever and just kept staring at photos. Luke's Tunic appears to me in different lengths in different shots I looked at but that might also be because some were pre-production shots. Also the material he wheres seems heavier yet flexible. I don't think my local stores carries anything close. But I think for my first one it came out great. It's actually is 4 pieces as you mentioned which is really funny and I did not even know that. I could never find any Gi that looked like that so making it was definitely the only option.

Pants - Great idea on the pant material. I found several pants with the same cut in the back, the v-shape that you see when Luke fights with the Tuskin Raider. I actually found some really nice pants that had a mix of cotton and Spandex to give you that slimmer look and flexibility. But still am trying to find that right color. That has been that hardest part. It seems yellowish in one seen and light brown in others.

Boots - I have to dye mine yet but for my first pair they came out pretty good. I learn alot from the first pair. Once I get the outfit photograph I will post it.

Wraps - I did not notice the inseam cut. Interesting!!! I think I need to add some more length to mine. His seem to wrap alot up his short legs...lol. Mine are about 110 inches but I also have big calves.

Well looking forward to swap more stories.

Thanks again!

G-man

The split I was referring to is on the pants. If you look at Mark's ankle in this photo, you can see (ever so faintly) that there is a split from the ankle going up the leg, ending before the knee. There were some better behind the scenes shots showing it, but I can't find them. Also in this shot with Alec Guinness, you can see that once the ankle of the pants is wrapped around, that it is held in place with stretchy black, or brown dress socks, then the puttees are wrapped over this to cover the socks.
2605.jpg
lanhputtees.jpg

In the Dressing a Galaxy book John Mollo (the costume designer for ANH) said that he used Viyella (which is a medium weight wool/ cotton blend) for Luke's Tunic, and Brushed Denim for the Pants.

I use fabric from Sellfabric.com. The sanded twill works beautifully as a Viyella alternative, considering how expensive and hard to find Viyella is. It is really soft, drapes well, but also holds the crease of the collar well. It's also a nice medium weight, but not so heavy that you'll sweat like crazy when worn. The Brushed Denim in 9-10 oz weight is also rugged enough to be put through some abuse, but also softens and drapes nicely when worn. I can't recommend their fabrics enough. Plus with them both being 100% cotton you can pre-treat them before you make your garment to ensure that the final pieces won't shrink in the wash.

DUDE!

Thank you. Yeah I never seen that book. huh! That would be interesting to read. I looked at your site and the Natural color looks good as well. Did you receive your fabric yet and if so how does it look and feel? The brush Denium pants I have read before and have been trying to find a close match. Man, I can not wait to see your new one. I might have to take a breather until I can make another...lol.

There are so many questions and things I like to share about this costume as well. KIT man. Thanks for chatting.

G-man

The split I was referring to is on the pants. If you look at Mark's ankle in this photo, you can see (ever so faintly) that there is a split from the ankle going up the leg, ending before the knee. There were some better behind the scenes shots showing it, but I can't find them. Also in this shot with Alec Guinness, you can see that once the ankle of the pants is wrapped around, that it is held in place with stretchy black, or brown dress socks, then the puttees are wrapped over this to cover the socks.
2605.jpg
lanhputtees.jpg

In the Dressing a Galaxy book John Mollo (the costume designer for ANH) said that he used Viyella (which is a medium weight wool/ cotton blend) for Luke's Tunic, and Brushed Denim for the Pants.

I use fabric from Sellfabric.com. The sanded twill works beautifully as a Viyella alternative, considering how expensive and hard to find Viyella is. It is really soft, drapes well, but also holds the crease of the collar well. It's also a nice medium weight, but not so heavy that you'll sweat like crazy when worn. The Brushed Denim in 9-10 oz weight is also rugged enough to be put through some abuse, but also softens and drapes nicely when worn. I can't recommend their fabrics enough. Plus with them both being 100% cotton you can pre-treat them before you make your garment to ensure that the final pieces won't shrink in the wash.

The natural brushed bull denim looks and feels great. I got a swatch, but have yet to order enough yardage for my new pants. I did however get enough of the Vanilla Sanded Twill to make the tunic (a few months ago actually) and it's exactly what I've been looking for.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on this thread. Either way, I think you're not far off from having a damn near perfect outfit!

One thing I noticed and you probably already have is if you are making you pants to remember the V like pattern at the top of the back of the pants. You can see it really clearly when Luke is on the ground fighting the tuskin. I have been finding pants like that at like good will but not the same color or fabric. But if you are making your own I would definitely recommend that detail.

G-man

Yeah it's definitely a detail I intend to incorporate into my new costume. It's a yoke that is common on jeans. Take a look at a pair of your favorite jeans and you're likely to find it. It's appropriate as well considering that the Luke pants are made of brushed denim. I have a pattern for jeans that has this yoke, so I'll be modifying my current pattern to incorporate it into the design.

Not quite what I wanted but for making my own boot I think it came out pretty good. Created a Boot cover finding the show with the sole I wanted. Tore off the original Sole and sewed together a boot cover with my own design. Made out of 3 pieces. Suede dyed the the boot and weathered it. I think I did a little too much but it was sure worth the try. Learned alot this run and will either try to make another or fix a few things to improve it. Attached it two photos. Once before the show was dyed and another dyed.
G-man

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back