The slide to the Dark Side... My ESB Darth Vader Costume

runnriottt

I can say, flat out this is the best hobby I have ever been involved in. I have built cars, raced lower level NHRA, built and modified computers, dabbled in competitive cycling, photography, among other things but by far being Darth Vader has been the most incredible journey.

Looking back its a pretty long story and Ill not be to windy but this really all started out with a kid in a theater. I was just born for ANH, so I remember ESB as my first film. Most say that you don't remember three years old but I still vividly remember Star Wars and the promo tour for ESB. The tour stopped in a neighboring town and we went to see it and like most kids I wanted to be a storm trooper when I grew up. I told my Dad over and over and over...

So I did in late 2006. I bought an FX kit and built it while under way in the south Pacific. So there I am, on a Navy war ship with Storm trooper armor.

MR2Bantz.jpg

Yep, that is an official US Navy Photo. Went in our cruise book. Bad helmet paint up and all.

Now what?

I found the 501st. Who knew a costume could do so much? I joined late '06 and away we go.

Stormtroopers are great, but hey.. the saga is about Vader. I want to be Vader. I started down the road already in the 501st and where sadly many start with the Rubies supreme. Looked good on the box right?

IMG_1798.jpg

Not in person however. So one outing and it was well... out.

So then begins the process of upgrading. I have many pics of the various stages, but really I have just been solid upgrading this costume even as I type this. So I will show my main show Vader costumes.

My first Con ever, Celebration Japan. I had no idea a Con could be so cool!

2697388505_6bfda13ce9.jpg

I spent a total of 12 hours in costume each day for 3 days. I was a rock star in that suit. Thousands of pictures taken. I was one of only 2 Vaders and for two of the days the only Vader on the floor with the 501st. What a ride.

IMG_0993.jpg

Shortly after, still upgrading mind you... I was offered a chance to work with LFL Japan and the Sankyo ad campaign. Another wild ride of fandom.

IMG_3350.jpg

Entire sets built for the filming, and I have to admit, I was emotional. I am still just a fan, wearing a costume... doing what few have a shot to do. Great memories.

IMG_3349.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3314.jpg

Most of the CM's are here, follow the link below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvQFbyh3Rss

The next year, the phone rang again, this time for Docomo. Another opportunity to be Vader for Japan. Far bigger campaign, but in ways much different. I am on most of the printed flyers and posters here. (well at that time...) Further upgrades even still.

Scan.jpg

05-20-10_1632.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

All the official stuff is great, and pushing the Vader level of accuracy is as well, but nothing is as cool as the kids. There is a huge difference between "nice costume" and "Holy crap that is Darth Vader!" I love the kids and costuming for them is where the rubber meets the road.

IMG_2425.jpg

IMG_1223-1.jpg

So here is my Vader today as I type this.

878151bf-1.jpg

I am honered to be able to wear it and I hope to add to it in time spent. Money on the costume has exceeded what many consider sane for things like this but its more a gift that a purchase. I am able to break down cultural doors and really give back to kids and adults with it.

The proudest thing I have to this suit is the incredible people I have met in it. From the sick child that is still hanging in to the common passer by with a camera its really about the people and kids. I have learned so much.

Next stop... C6. Have Vader, will travel.

IMG_2040.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it in the thread and I will admit I know little of star wars costumes ( I mainly build the weapons) but I got to tell ya in my opinion that was spot on as the helmet to me looked right not to tall above the brim as some tend to be . And with that did you build the helmet or can it be bought somewhere.
Thanks Jerry

DSC_0014.jpg

My helmet is a JB Version 1... Long gone from producing and even then it was hard to come by. There are more accurate helms out there, ( I own one...) but really the lid fills the bill.

Many Vader helmets suffer from what you are talking about, the space between the mask brow line and the dome edge of the helmet. The key I have found anyway is to pad the inside of the helmet.

Most Vader costume wearers are not Prowse size. So the helmet does not ride as it did in the film. I do not directly look out the lenses, I more look out the bottom of the lens and the top of the upper vent. My eyes if I were to be looking straight on would only see the fiberglass of the inner cheeks.

This raises the neck to above the armor like it should and makes the lid look right to the camera... Now the dome mount bing the correct size helps, but the over all look is from the way the lid is worn.

Another trick is to really watch how the helmet is mounted as to the angle of the back of the helmet to the mask as well. Sounds kind of wordy... but many just try to stick the brow lines together with out looking at the placement of the dome. The helmet should have a downward slope toward the back of the wearer. Not flat or in a straight manner.

Even helmets without built on dome mounts can be done this way. Just takes some tweaking.

228376_165417340184723_116843488375442_397854_4231863_n.jpg

Last edited:
That is an awesome story! I too have tried a number of hobbies..but last year on a whim I went to the Phoenix Comicon. I was awesome. Then I saw Darth Vader! Yea baby...I want to be Darth Vader. The next day I brought my daughter to the Comicon and even talked her into dressing up in my son's Darth Vader costume (he was there the day before and the 1:1 Darth scared the heck outta him.

And so there I was..my daughter saying hello to Darth (see avatar). And she was beside herself thrilled. In fact ALL kids were over the top. Yes..I want to be Darth Vader.

Fast forward a year and here I am about to begin building my costume. The local 501s recommended becoming a TK first...but I want to be Darth Vader! Now it is just the matter of deciding which. (ANH is in the lead!)

Did I say cool story?!!

Awesome Story Nate. That's what costming is all about, The Kids and their faces when they see a cool costume. I'm going to Derby City Comic Con tomorrow dressed as one of my own super heroes.

Fantastic story, posts like this are a big reason I come here. You have made a huge impact on those you have encountered. I have been fortunate to spend a lot of time in Japan and they really know how to be fans there. Nice work, keep it up.

B

Ya know... For a guy that fixes steam pipes, Water heaters and what ever else breaks on a 70 or so odd year ship its humbling to be as traveled as I am in the suit.

Thank you all for the kind words.

IMG_0255.jpg

Thank you for sharing your story and photos. What great experiences you've had. With all the great Vader photos you've shared, one can be forgiven for almost overlooking the official portrait in stormtrooper armor - which is awesome in multiple ways in its own right.

Thanks again for sharing your journey and best of luck continuing it.

Hahaha....Quality!

That was you? I'd seen the adverts up on the trains here a while back and liked the use of Vader...Also wondered if it was "official", since it looked as close as you could get to it!

You? All that time!? Impressive! Most impressive!

Very very cool.....Although it didn't convert me over to the Docomo side (Softbank had the iPhone), it did make me smile!

Thanks for that! Classy suit!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back