Old Batteries Inside Graflex, Need Help

SirJediKnightTim

I'm in the process of purchasing a Luke 3 cell Graflex that has the original batteries inside.

1. Do you guys have any idea as to what kind of damage the battery acid could have done?
2. Can they be removed easily, or do you think they will be stuck inside?
3. How can I remove the old battery acid?

I bought a Heiland 2 cell and the endcap wouldn't unscrew because of the rust.

I poured in some vinegar and let it sit for a while. It ended up loosening the cap and took off most of the rust. I even cleaned the spring and it took off a lot of rust on it.

FB

Interesting. Did you have a problem getting the old batteries out? Has the rust "come back"?

<div class='quotetop'>(franz bolo @ Oct 29 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]1347105[/snapback]</div>
I bought a Heiland 2 cell and the endcap wouldn't unscrew because of the rust.

I poured in some vinegar and let it sit for a while. It ended up loosening the cap and took off most of the rust. I even cleaned the spring and it took off a lot of rust on it.

FB
[/b]

There were no batteries in it. The battery acid got into the tube and started to corrode it. The rust hasn't come back yet.

I think it all depends on the extent of the corrosion.

Good Luck

FB

If the acid leaked out of the endtube and got onto the plating on the outside, that would be bad.

Otherwise, it'll probably be fine. You'll probably be able to just dump the batteries out, perhaps with a little gentle thumping. Don't touch the batteries but take a look at them to see if they show corrosion. If they do, then they have leaked. To neutralize the acid in the tube, sprinkle baking powder inside. Wet an old toothbrush, and scrub the baking powder around. Rinse, and dry well. The inside won't be pretty after the acid had its fun but as long as it didn't get on the outside you're okay.

I think it's Baking "Soda" that you want to use. You can use the baking soda and vinager in combination to neutralize the acid and clean out the gunk.

Steven

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back