Yet Another Noob IM MK VI

BobbyFromBUF

Hi All,

First, I'd like to start off by apologizing for creating yet another IM build thread... I know there are TONS already. I just need an outlet share with someone, otherwise I am going to ruin the surprise of the costume on Halloween by sharing all these half finished photos with everyone. It's mostly to just get it "off my chest" so to speak. So, with that in mind, thanks for letting me "let it all out."

Quick background on me: I'm 33. I'm 5'8" 187lbs. I have never attempted to build a screen replica costume before. I was never even allowed to build models as a kid because my Mom thought it was too messy. I actually wanted to build a Hero ANH TK, but saw the initial purchases of armor parts, and my lack of experience as an obstacle. Quite honestly, I thought I would drop about $500 on molds, and then immediately ruin them by making mistakes.

So, this brought me here. I felt like the foam parts pepakura design was a design that would allow me to make my mistakes, learn from them, and then replace those parts later as my skills improved.

So far, I think this strategy is working. I'm learning quite a bit every time I sit down at the workbench. :)

At this point, I need to incorporate shout outs! A huge thanks to Stealth - your herotutorials helped me find this amazing community via youtube. Also, Stealth, your general attitude toward costuming made me realize it was ok to make mistakes, and that it wouldn't be the end of the world if I did. To "keep it fun" for a lack of better words. Jowe, Dubean, and Robo your work on the pepakura files enabled me to have a place to begin. Also, XRobots, your tutorials revolutionized the way I was thinking about all this stuff.

As a total NEWB, I honestly started the whole thing from scratch. No knowledge, no skills, and few tools.

I'm having some trouble adding my pics on ImageShack. I'll add some later if I can figure out what the problem is... Thanks again everyone!

So, I got in the habit of arranging the pieces in a similar fashion to the way they would be joined together so that I could stay organized and minimize mistakes...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So, I used Dubean33_-_Samuray_Easy_Iron_Man_foam.pdo as my file for the helmet. I actually printed and cut the paper parts templates out, and then assembled them with masking tape to check the size. (Later on I spray painted the paper helmet gold because I couldn't help myself.) Then I printed and cut them out again to create the foam templates.

I realize this step might have been a bit unnecessary, but as it was my very first foam costume piece it actually helped me understand where the edges need to come together, and how they should curve in or out.

Here are a few looks at my bucket. By the way, I have kind of a wide head, and this helmet fits me perfectly (I think). I was trying to ensure that the ears did not stick out too much.

Next I moved on to the chest, abs, back, neck, and shoulders. Here are a few looks at those pieces. I realize that my seams could be better, and that in some places my glue is a bit sloppy, but I think I'm doing ok for a first timer.

I did make 1 custom modification already. I felt like the abs were a bit snug so I added 2 small pieces on the under side to help give me a better attachment point. Also, on the chest piece there was a very complicated fold that would have ended up under my armpit. I sort of allowed that section to be rounded out. In looking at screen caps, I don't think these mods will throw the look off by very much, and I think it will make the costume more "wearable".

#fatguymod

Hehe!

I used this helmet file. I found it here on the RPF...

Dubean33_-_Samuray_Easy_Iron_Man_foam.pdo

For the rest of the costume I used the ones that Stealth posted.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add these pics:

Back parts traced out.

Back.

Abs showing detail of fat guy mod. The part that is circled in red is the extra piece.

Foam shoulder pieces laid out for assembly.

Shoulders assembled, but not attached yet. Waiting for my roll of 1 inch nylon strapping to arrive in the mail.

Very clear WIP. Nice work. LOL @ "fat guy mod."
Thanks TKSteve! I was trying to show some of the in between steps of how my build was progressing. Rather than just, finished pics of the whole armor done.

As for the fat guy mod, I'm really not THAT big, but it did make the armor more comfortable... Glad to get a laugh though :)

I honestly had to go out and buy a glue gun to start this project, and I'm quickly learning the HUGE difference between 15 seconds, 30 seconds, and 45 seconds, haha. It really does make a difference. I also learned that if you do gob too much glue in the seam, and it pours out on the finished side, that if you wait about 45 seconds after the initial application the glue will harden just enough that you can sort of pluck it right off leaving a fairly smooth edge. Too little time, and it pulls off stringy. Too long and it becomes rigid, and you risk ripping the foam...

Man that's so awesome! The fat guy mod for extra comfort is a great idea.
Could you please tell me how you attached the foam pieces together?

wauw this is looking really well for your first build ! I hope my first build looks like that ! Love your helmet and the "fat guy mod" haha
Welcome to the forum and good luck with the rest of your build

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back