Is fiberglassing the inside of my pepakura helmet safe?

Bruisedmilk

So I've begun inserting the fiberglass cloth into my pepakura helmet for con this year, and when i talked to my parents about it my mom who used to be a nurse freaked out because fiberglass can cause cancer apparently.

This tidbit of information made me uncomfortable, but looking around i didn't find anything alarming online. But i thought i would ask people more experienced with this sort of thing.
Is fiberglass safe? :confused

Fibreglass resin, when still wet is very dangerous. Inhaling the fumes and smell when it it is not hard is very bad for your lungs, brain etc... Once the fibreglass resin has set and hardened then yes, it is safe. So using it on the inside of your helmet is fine as long as you wait till its fully set before putting it on. Just make sure you use a respirator and are in a well ventilated area when you start mixing it.

What the Welshman said.

When you do apply the fiberglass/resin, you MUST have a respirator that is approved for organic vapors. You can get them at home improvement stores. The cost can be a little bit annoying (around $40), but if you don't have it... oh man just get one. And not a paper mask or a surplus gas mask. The real thing. Your lungs will thank you!

Motorcycle helmets are made from fiberglass. So are boats. I don't see any cancer warnings on them, even in California.

People without any hands on experience seem to freak out at anything stronger than wet newspaper.

Just tell her you'll do drugs instead.

after all your glassing and bondo has set up you are fine.. the inside,... just sand till you dont get, "pricked" if you take a gloved hand along the inside and get snagged, you must sand! and when its all nice n smooth... you could always spray some plasti dip inside or just stipple some latex as a barrier between you and the glass., you can also cut some thin craft foam strips and cover the inside as well. its all just one giant adventure in fun, cancer....bah!!! something, some where some how gonna getcha..... can't get out of here alive.... unless you can alter time, speed up the harvest or teleport off this rock.

Thank you all for your input, i used a respirator and took all the necessary safety precautions when applying the fiberglass. My main concern was whether or not it was dangerous if it was dry, and since it isn't i feel a little better.
I think i will put something on the inside too, mostly just for comfort.

...or just stipple some latex as a barrier between you and the glass.
Assuming you do not have a sensitivity to latex.

Keep in mind that the respirator filters do not last forever, that is why they should have a spot on there where you can write the date that you installed them. The moment you open the cover the clock starts ticking. I replace mine every 3-4 months or so. People will now either jump on me for replacing them too often or that I am going to get cancer. But I only use mine occasionally, it's not like I do this for a living.

You should also be wearing some sort of eye protection too, not just regular glasses. I was cutting acrylic too fast so it was half cutting, half melting and a small blob flew up, bounced behind my glasses, and almost hit my eye. Luckily I have quick eye lids (causes problems when I try to get the pressure tested at the eye doctor).

Also, chances are if you have a newer bathtub it is made of fiberglass too.

Personally I prefer to use casting resin inside my pep pieces, when you use fiberglass if you don't lay it down right you can get sharp points.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back