Scratch Built Delivery Ship 3011AD, The Nylon Gag MK.1 FINISHED.

Re: Scratch Built Red Bull Delivery Ship 3011AD, The Nylon Gag MK.1

Wow, this is exceptional and inspiring work. The fine detailing on the engines is...incredible. The paint job is so crisp and clean, which really pulls together the organized chaos of the greeblie work you did. Love the stocky design of the ship itself too...it has a great, solid and classic feel too it.

Psycho detailing, love it! Awesome work on the engines.

Don't know how I missed this build, out F#%king standing!

Really amazing build. Oh I love it !!

You know, I was thinking about how the greeblies on this bird felt like something yuumi would do. ;)

This is a pretty cool design. The rear profile reminds me a little of the attack cruisers from "Starchaser, the Legend of Orin" somewhat (probably because of the hexagonal shape).

WOW! Thats about all I can say. Engines look really great, lovethe detail.
Ship is bigger than I originally thought it was. Cool

You know, I was thinking about how the greeblies on this bird felt like something yuumi would do. ;)

This is a pretty cool design. The rear profile reminds me a little of the attack cruisers from "Starchaser, the Legend of Orin" somewhat (probably because of the hexagonal shape).

This man has a talent and expressing it very well.
It is inspiring me a lot.

Last edited:

This is pretty amazing I love the details

Mate, most excellent work !!!!

May I suggest you cut back the fairings a bit ? It would be a shame not see the detailing on the middle part of the engines....Just my thought.

This rocks. Looking forward to more and more :cool

Dave.

Ello Chums,
Thanks again for the great comments, glad you like the lighting.
This last week i've concentrated on adding a bit of detail to the front intakes, painting and weathering the intakes and weathering of the engines.
Also i've attached the engine fairings to the main body.
Front intake with some simple detail additions, wanted to keep these fairly clean

frontintake1.jpg

Then gave them a coat of black primer then a top coat of Metallic grey and titanium silver
Then gave the whole thing a black pastel wash, with more intense colour at the front of the intake, then a heavy drybrush with crome silver

frontintake2.jpg

Gave the deflectors and the engines a pastel wash with black and a light wash with brown, then a very light drybrush with crome silver again.
Later i will do some more streaks and dirt with oils but for now i'm happy with the look.

frontintake3.jpg

frontintake4.jpg

Then did a rough assembly of the engines just to see whats what.

frontintake5.jpg

And with a fairing.

frontintake6.jpg

Next i covered the last of the exposed card board on the bottom of the fairings using 1/2mm (0.020) styrene sheet.

frontintake7.jpg

frontintake8.jpg

Let them dry overnight then shaped and rough sanded them

frontintake10.jpg

Recessed 1/4-20 unc nuts into the top of both fairings after a long and boring process of trial and error with the final location.

frontintake9.jpg

Covered these nuts with top plates for each fairing after gluing the nut in position

frontintake11.jpg

Then attached the fairings for a test run

frontintake12.jpg

Finally painted and fitted the actuators to the back of the engine deflectors

frontintake13.jpg

frontintake14.jpg

Next is permanently fixing the fairings to the wings with a bit of a deflector at the front, will do a few mock ups in cardboard first.
Thanks for looking
Comments welcome
The Gag

Absolutely incredible! I've never been able to do all of these little details, I'll look at something for ages, and never be able to think of what to put there... This is amazing!

Hello Folks,

I just wanted to write a short note to say how much your comments mean to me and how much they motivate me, words like incredible, amazing, astonishing are such bold words and not words i hear every day, so thanks alot guys, i feel very humble, thank you so much.

mydigitalvoid, where abouts are you in Miami, i'm just down the road in Homestead, by the race track.

DMC 12, this is my first experience with scratch building of any kind, i only started this project and my return to modelling in October of last year.

But if its one thing i have learned is layers. Layer your detail/greeblies, start with some kind of basic structure for everything to sit on, then add some basic greeblies, small boxes, tanks and containers with may be a few detailed parts with more complex shapes, then add some tubing and finally the wiring and may be some additional specific details on top. You would be suprised how easy it is to build a very simple but quite detailed tub.
Just let your imagination go, i have only been robbing from 4 models for this entire build so far, 2 identical motogp bikes, a ship and a tank, everything else is plastruct styrene shapes, tool holders from my job and interesting shapes i have seen in various house hold products i have picked up.

Just experiment, this entire build is one big experiment.

good luck

Gag

Mornin All,

Thanks for the comments guys.

Just been plodding away, had some trouble with inspiration during the middle of the week. I couldn't decide what to do next. I was over thinking everything and there for achieveing nothing, so i just went with the flow.

PIX

Had the dilema of how to attach the engines but still have the ability to mess with the wires and everything.
So first i made covers.
Picture180.jpg

Then i decided on how to blend the fairings in with the covers

Picture181.jpg

Picture185.jpg

Filled then sanded

Picture191.jpg

Started the detail around the forward strobe and how to run the wires to the LED.

Picture192.jpg

Picture196.jpg

Picture206.jpg

Added the rear green/right hand side, red/left hand side flasher lights.

Picture201.jpg

Did everything again with some more added detail.

Picture207.jpg

Not sure what to do next, will probably do a simpler version on the inside of the fairing.
I decided I want to keep the wing surfaces fairly detailed and also have some raised panels. Think a bit 'Falconish', sort of retro fit by the pilot.

Anywho'syourdaddy,
Thanks for stopping by

The Gold Medal Gagsterman

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back