Skyrim: Steel Axe (FINAL pg. 4!)

Re: Skyrim: Steel Axe

Are you ******** sh**ting me!! AMAZING! JUST AMAZING! That's all I kept saying to myself while I looked at each picture in this thread. Truly inspiring! I mean it!

The first pic of the polished cold cast head made me swear out loud!

An absolutely astonishing achievement, such clean precise work!

Rich

AMAZING!

quick question... what happened to the little bits that go by the pommel. did you just decide not to add them?

Wow thats really awesome and especially since Ive been a big fan of both skyrim and your work. Not to questions anything, but is there a reason that you chose to go with the twine instead of the leather strips that were used in the game?

Anyways, I really love the prop and look foward to seeing your progess with it!

what happened to the little bits that go by the pommel. did you just decide not to add them?

I've got them, they're just not added on yet. They go on top of the leather, since cutting those sections out around the leather wrap would have been a bigger headache. These aren't finished by a longshot; still need a fair bit of weathering to go as well.

is there a reason that you chose to go with the twine instead of the leather strips that were used in the game?

The problem with those big leather straps is they would have to be threaded under the leather handle wrap and make the backside really lumpy and irregular. The hemp was a sort of compromise there between aesthetics and comfort when holding the axe handle.

23048230.jpg

Hi Volpin, this is amazing stuff! I've got a question about this mold making technique... where you use a wooden reinforced frame. I couldn't figure out how you went from the cardboard base (with mold stuff and nubs)...to the wooden frame(s) and overcoat of more mold stuff. Can you describe this technique and the different mold materials you use and show some more pics?

This is very interesting!

THANKS!

Better late then never, but I can't get over this axe. The buffed versions are so incredibly perfect that it's getting ridiculous.

Finally got around to shooting this finished project. Shot in front of a Shield of Whiterun I also made for my Dragon*Con costume.

Unfortunately I didn't get any shots of my client's finished axe with the correct handle wrap color, but I've still got my personal red-handled piece. Enjoy!

8094320504_17fe415142_b.jpg

8094327058_52ccd6a89e_b.jpg

8094317001_2e795b4b6a_b.jpg

8094319115_9cff541a14_b.jpg

8094323582_4965348435_b.jpg

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back