Need some help IDing a model

Thank you very much, the pics are great !

It's an original ILM model ?

I was reviewing the thread and realized we never posted the story of how this model surfaced.

A friend of my family's started working for ILM shortly after Star Wars : a new hope. (Later, in the mid-1980's ,he got me a job there as well, but that's a different story)

He knew I was an avid kitbasher, and I was already doing models for print and commercial work, so he would bring by boxes of trash from the Model Shop, which consisted mostly of sprue runners with a few parts on each. There was also the occasional resin-cast pieces, either unneeded extras or bad casts. in one box of trash was this model, though in 3 pieces. I was able to restore it by examining the broken glue joints.

So there it is, it could have been a background ship, it may have been someones idle lunchtime project, we may never know. It did not have any armature mounting holes, and it was never wired for lights.

It also may have been a protoype for something, there were a few of those floating around-

Here is a picture of my desk @ ILM, (sorry for the poor pic quality) if you look on the desk under the lamp, you'll see a small grey model -

http://www.cryogenesys.com/ilm/ilm_011.jpg

That was a protoype for the movie "Explorers" that was never used.

Cool story, cool pic, that proto model looks VERY interesting. Thanks for sharing.
How i wish TESB was more documented in the model shop, so many of the models were in fact flash in the pan, quick and dirty, one shot wonders.....hell, even the Probe droid didnt get a great portfolio until recent years.

lee

This was a fun thread to read! Thanks to those who described ID's in text and not missing images :)

I made a parts map with what I could find here. Let me know if I did anything wrong or anyone knows the last 2 ID's here. I can remove the image as well if I shouldn't have posted this.

background_ship_IDs.png

Based on the scan I saw of the M30 with the Jeep, I was unable to clearly tell if it was part of the kit or not. There was only an image of one side, and it wasn't visible to me. It's probably from one of these kits but I wasn't totally sure which. If someone had a scan of the M30 with the Jeep we could know for sure if it's there or not, but the SSM scan is missing.

Ok Scott you were absolutely right about part #14. I checked the scan again for the M30 when I wasn't so tired, and it is from the M30 with Jeep.

Here is the updated map:
background_ship_IDs.png

That leaves just #5, but I'm hesitant about my #9 ID. Feel free to share thoughts on it.

#9 looks like the grill f a half track in the same scale with the other hal track part. I'm pretty certain it's correct.

PS: I'm glad you're doing this. It's a cool little assemblage of parts.

Krokohunter/Niels figured out #5. I forget what it's from but I have a mold :-D I'll ask him.

There's another unknown piece UNDER the large M30 piece on the front. You just can't see it :)
Just finished mine last week.

FullSizeRender (1).jpgFullSizeRender (2).jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back