Best glue for foam

Whit

Hello all,

I'm going to be starting my first foam costume in the coming weeks and wanted to know what type of glue I should use to connect the pieces together.

I've been lurking on the threads and have seen hot glue and barge glue. Hot glue doesn't seem like it would hold up over time and I don't know what barge glue is or where to get it.

Are there any other suggestions for adhesives?

I appreciate all comments on the subject.

I've just started on my first build as wel and use the hot glue gun, but Low temp glue or something otherwise you melt the foam away

Are you talking soft foam or hard foam? Super 77 works on both, but can partially melt EPS foam- Gorilla Glue works for EPS, but you have to bind the pieces together or the glue will expand them apart.

Not totally sure, but I believe it's EVA foam. I got two packs of anti-fatigue mats from Harbor Freight.

I've used hot glue. I used creatology foam and sports pad foam. nothing melted through. it actually melts and helps binds the pieces together.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll start a new thread when I start on my new costume and I'll make sure to post want kind of glue I'll be trying. Maybe a combo of things.

Honestly, the best thing to use with foam is contact cement. Hot glue is good for repairs, but if you are travelling, exposed to heat and the like, you will a lose a lot of adhesion.

haha, wow, this is quite the resurrected thread.

But, since it's back up here now, I'll chime in as well. :)

Definitely agree on contact cement for foam. Top players are Barge, as JWKruser pointed out, and also Duall #88. I use the latter. Both are getting harder and harder to find though.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back