"Captain America, how exciting!" TWS TFA Rescue USO and Ultimates WW2

Ah! I see now! Thanks for all the info Fly. So for the 9.5 inch star it should be a 9.5 inch center circle, correct? That seems to be the consensus of the thread you posted and inquiries to other members.

Aeric

Really digging this thread. Have plans to work on an Ultimates Cap with little of the WWII movie version thrown in. Mainly leaving off the mask since without my glasses I am as blind as a bat.

You have done amazing work fly. Thank you so much for sharing your work. I was wondering what is the use for the general purpose strap on the suspenders? I'm building my rig now and I'm using yours as a guide.

Glad you like the build and put the list to good use. The General Purpose strap goes over the right shoulder when worn. There is a photo buried somewhere in this thread showing how to route it thru the suspenders.

You have done amazing work fly. Thank you so much for sharing your work. I was wondering what is the use for the general purpose strap on the suspenders? I'm building my rig now and I'm using yours as a guide.

Jun 12, 2012, 8:05 PM - Shows the no sow routing of the general purpose strap. It is the source of the second D ring over the right shoulder when the suspenders are worn.
The top end of the map case strap clips to the general purpose strap D ring which would then be situated above the normal D ring on the M1936 suspenders.

Sorry about taking so long on the response.

I have started to go back and replace the photobucket links with imagepost.
It will take some time to get it all sorted.

Hopefully that will keep the pictures up since photobucket went from limited free 3rd party linking to free no linking.

Thank you for all of your information on this! Fly- your TFA build was a guideline I used for my first costume build a couple of years ago. I'm planning on starting over now that I have a little more experience in costuming. Thanks for rehosting your pics because pictures truly are worth 1000 words. Your work, knowledge and contributions to the community are appreciated!

Thank you for all of your information on this! Fly- your TFA build was a guideline I used for my first costume build a couple of years ago. I'm planning on starting over now that I have a little more experience in costuming. Thanks for rehosting your pics because pictures truly are worth 1000 words. Your work, knowledge and contributions to the community are appreciated!

Glad I could help!
If I re-did this there is some stuff that I would have done differently but let me know if you need anymore information.

I have finished rebuilding this thread as best I could so I hope this will be of use to other Caps in the future....

and for photobucket and HP computers...

for forcing the re-posting of all the images and the hard drive crash that made it such a horrid effort.

Having to go back and rebuild this thread helped me see that I hadn't put everything in.

As a way to carry and store my round shields I found a super sized unbranded pizza box.

I can't find any inventory number but it was manufactured by the Nelson Container company of Germantown, WI.

Then went through the dumpster at work and collected various sizes of packing foam. Cut the foam to shape and hot glued it inside the box.

Then re-purposed the Cap image from the outside of the airsoft shield box for a label.

I know that I posted these somewhere... I guess I polluted someone else's build or a general shield thread.
But when trying to find paint for the Winter Soldier Stealth Shield, first looked at Testor's model paint.

Digging into a box of old paints. I believe that I settled on:

Dupli-color BGM 0539 Light Blue Met (21 WA74770) replaces T155
Dupli-color Metalcast Metalic Ground Coat MC100
Dupli-color Wheel Matte Clearcoat HWP106

Looks like I used Dupli-color Automotive Primer Adhesion Promoter CP199 but I thought I just did a straight repaint of the Hasbro Shield.
So if I used the Adhesion Promoter it was with the input of someone else because I haven't used that before or since but still have the can.

Edit: The photo above is from my files and not my finished shield.

I started off with the regular plastic Hasbro shield.

Masked the areas with 3m blue painters tape.

Sprayed the promoter (if used) and light blue color directly over the factory red.

As glossy as this one is, think it was before the matte finish.

Then after the matte finish.

Engraved the lines on the stars with a diamond tipped hand file.

I either repainted the silver with the metalcast or decanted it and handbrushed it into the groves.

Here are some comparison photos before I redid the star...

with my old modified airsoft shield

and hasbro vs hasbro

I am sure I wrote elsewhere, I really like the Hasbro shield and will eventually replace the straps on the back with more accurate leather and beefer hardware.

Edit:
While the camera couldn't keep up, the Hasbro shield flies nicely.

Last edited:
While the majority of my stuff remains squirreled away in boxes, there are brief moments that parts of my collection gets to see the light of day.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back