"Captain America, how exciting!" TWS TFA Rescue USO and Ultimates WW2

Fly4v

Sr Member
This is my first build here, ACTUALLY AT ALL, and I have been working on this for about a month before joining so the posts will be catch-up and WIP.
For first exposure to a sewing machine surprised that no fingers have yet to be blooded.

Last edited:
Re: "Captain America, how exciting!"

The first thing I started with was the movie-(ish) heater shield. It has earned the ish because the back is silver while screen accurate is gold, the straps and handle on the back are not accurate at all, and the small stars are too close together.
I can post WIPs but I think people have seen enough shields.

Here is the drawing I started with:

Here is the finished shield:

It was painted with Krylon outdoor rattle cans and weathered with folkart acrylics, porfolio pastels and staedtler permanent lumocolor markers.
Everything was sealed in hand brushed Future. When the surface was tacky I went over spots with a foam brush to ad matte streaks to simulate scoring.

Last edited:

Glad you like what this thus far. Hope that I can help contribute to the community.

Next the helmet.

I have a real M-1C helmet with a complete set of restored straps and a perfect liner. Still jump-able.
Collectors don't worry. It was not used.

My sin is quite larger for those that care about Army v navy. I have a navy M-1 that I got about 1980. The chin strap is broken on one side and has decades of, what I assume, was lead gray paint.

After some very careful stripping with a mask. Here is what it looked like. So it started service as something more just your average shoe's helmet but specific position don't know.

The white is very durable. The blue not so much. The buckle on the goggles likes to scratch it.

The final helmet is not historically accurate. I didn't have ground up bits of cork to mix in the paint. Don't know if the USO girls helmets are textured in the movie or not.
Also, this helmet would not pass inspection. Still have the original broken chin strap and the inverted A suspension harness is between the liner and helmet. It should be riveted inside the liner but I didn't want to risk cracking the liner drilling out the old rivets.

Last edited:

Thankfully, I have the majority of the equipment required for this uniform. Sadly, because I have a WW2 paratroopers uniform, I will not redye my web gear, will not cut the suspenders apart, or shorten any of the straps.
So the fully damaged shield should not appear with this suspension harness if you are being faithful to the movie.

Last edited:

For the pants, I don't know if he cut the strap in the movie or if he five fingered a pair from the riggers tent that was still being modded and were missing the leg tie.
Since I wouldn't expect a "choirs girl" to have a complete uniform issue or a paratrooper uniform. It was easy to justify the complete remove thus saving the strap if I need it in the future.

Last edited:

USO shirt. Now the scary part. First time on the sewing machine and admittedly not really required could have copped out and just did the blue shirt without mods.
I used Soffe basic long sleeve tees. Chose Soffe because they are a current supplier of t-shirts.
It is not screen accurate: not skin tight, there isn't a zipper on the back, and the stars are not embroidered properly.

The stars are made for the same material as the sleeves. After the fact, think that was a mistake and should have used something different. I made two and used the better of the two for the front. The other found its way to the back.

Last edited:

Boots are Corcorans."The original jump boot." Made in the USA.
Yes, mine are modern reproductions but still by Corcoran.

Leggings. Re-production.

M-3 Fighting Knife. It appears on the Hot Toys figure and Fat Head 'poster'. He is wearing it in the movie, or at least as far as I can tell watching it on an Ipod, but it doesn't appear in the auction catalog. Paratroopers would have one so you decide.

Real Knife:
http://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=USGWM3E

Leg Strap:
http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=650&bc=no

My knife is a rubber copy pulled from an original. That is why the handle is black and not the correct brown leather rings.

Last edited:

Jacket. This is where the train derails.
I have a dark brown leather M-65 field jacket.
Yes, we see OD green field jackets in the movie, most notably Tommy Lee Jones in the final battle.....
Sadly, the M-65 didn't exist at the time.

I thought would give it a try just with the bottom turned up so it would look like a short coat.

Failure!

These pictures are the jacket full length but the color is all wrong.

The shield is attached to a D ring on the front of the suspenders by a cantle ring strap.
Straps, Cantle Ring

The wooden handle is from Ace Hardware and the belt is from Amazon.

Last edited:

So while I sat and brooded about the jacket, I took one of the leftover blue sleeves and made a USO mask.

Last edited:

More yet to come. Still working and not caught up yet.

Last edited:

Great job so far Fly, was looking quite epic until you hit the jacket. ;)

I see you even got the correct all purpose strap to use for the extra D-rings where the map strap attaches to the suspenders.

On the missing leg strap, they really did just tear it off on the movie pants, but I removed mine nicely as you did for possible use later on that set of pants... for atthefront pants the strap is sewn into the seam though, so needs to be cut off instead in that case.
Still pondering a good way to hang the shield on the back suspenders... you'd be amazed how simple it was done for the movie shield, there was no easy on and off action, just nice editing.

Love the shield, that's the way I went on my second shield, and sold off my Marvel licensed version since I liked the $55 mod shield so much better. A friend recently made me a movie replica shield since he got to hold a screen used, so I'll have to show that one off next at some point.

Hadn't caught the knife action anywhere yet, and I lent out my BR to a friend a while back and haven't had it for screen grabs in months, so I'll have to go back and look...would be a cool addition to finish things off. And an embroidered star is in the works as well.

Also great job on your helmet too, atthefront has the full paratrooper strap sets and separate pieces if you want to finish off those things at all. I have some ideas on improvised cork look I will be trying soon on a helmet, I'll post it up if it works out.

Fantastic work. Looking forward to seeing the full Cap'n.

So the fully damaged shield should not appear with this suspension harness if you are being faithful to the movie.

Some people get all hung up on being "screen accurate." I'm all about "screen possible." Normal people won't even notice.

Looks great man. I'm seriously liking the weathering on the shield.

I'm doing "pre-rescue" cap before the action greatly because I can't bring myself to beat up my shield. *chuckle*

Are you going to go whole hog on the new jacket? I mean tears and rips and all?

This is an awesome build, Fly. Don't beat yourself up so much! I love your attention to detail and that shield is beautifu.. The best part of all this is that you can always upgrade the jacket later (I know how much the parts are for this and it adds up). Maybe you could even stop by LogansCloset.com for one down the road. :)

By the way, Fly or Dan could you tell me more about getting the all purpose strap and modifying it so that you can attach the map strap? I don't know how to do this piece of the build. It seems easy but I thought people were literally sewing something to the suspenders.

You would need two of this all purpose strap if doing the heading to the mission full web gear set... one strap/two ends for each side of the suspenders.
https://www.atthefrontshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=USGBPGPS

and then you would need to get the correct combat suspenders, and yes you will have to use the end sections of the straps and sew those to the correct spots on the suspenders... plenty of screen shots out there to confirm how these end up for the movie.

It is made from a steal medieval shield, and pretty darn close to screen accurate sizing.

Sorry if I am stepping on any toes here Fly with providing info...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back