"Captain America, how exciting!" TWS TFA Rescue USO and Ultimates WW2

Re: "Captain America, how exciting!"

TheMan, Please feel free your not stepping on any toes. I am sure that many have done this uniform and I hope even more join in. It may be movie accurate but the straps don't need to be cut and the general purpose strap is only on the right shoulder in this picture.

The parts needed to recreate the above set up is:
M-1923 Cartridge Belt
Map Case Strap*
2x Compass Pouches*
M1936 Suspenders
General Purpose Strap*
M-1916 Hip Holster 'M-1911 is the pistol but even I call it a 1911 holster.'
*Take care when purchasing these items. The modern versions are made from the same pattern but are a Greener OD Green than the Tan-ish Khaki OD used in WW2 and shouldn't be used if you want to be period/movie accurate.

Above shows how to route the Suspender through the General Purpose Strap. Cutting and resewing would be easier because you have to put it on and adjust the straps a few times to get it to look right and putting on the completed harness can be a mess.

Last edited:

So the M-65 jacket not working was a big problem.
I have a period accurate A-2, patch pockets with no hand warming slits, but that jacket would be wrong.
An M-41 field jacket dyed dark brown wouldn't work.
So thinking this is the 21st Century I turned to google.
"Captain America Leather Jacket" resulted in Peter Fonda Easy Rider.????
"Captain America Movie Jacket" gave me a list of people that wanted it and a few that said they could make it but without any pictures to prove it.
Thought US Wings might have a go. They did Indiana Jones.... No deal.
Tried "Men's Brown Leather Motorcycle Jacket" and found Himalayan Leather and a few more expensive versions. Still not right and didn't think about getting and moding. Please remember this is before I discovered the work of "THEMAN" at Logan's Closet. Not that I could afford it but hope to have one in the future.

I thought about making a jacket but leather is really expensive and at this point all I had done was cut up a shirt.
So I had a change of direction. I liked this uniform from the PS3 Captain America game.

[url=https://postimg.org/image/qxmovrxrd/][/URL]

And this is a somewhat similar pattern so if I can do this in cloth maybe I can do it in leather.

Last edited:

I had an actual Ike Jacket until a few years ago. Donated it because I couldn't fit in it anymore.
So I had a good idea of what needed to be done.
I used packing paper and made a pattern based on a Class A coat with some changes based on the Ike and a British Battle Jacket.
Hope the picture is good enough for others to use.

Last edited:

So I went to Fabric.com and ordered some red, white, and blue cotton twill. The nice find was some star buttons nothing better than one stop shopping.

Last edited:

My plan was to make the jacket like I did the shirt. So I would make the body of the jacket full length in blue and make the bottom in white and then join the two.

Last edited:

Once I knew the circumference of the white I computed the required width of the red stripes.

UltimateJacket5.jpg

Sewed up the red strips and the star.

Each photo represents one day of work.

Last edited:

Opened the seam between the blue and red just enough to insert the red strips. Installed the waist belt and then tucked and sewed the bottoms of the red strips. Installed the buttons. The epaulets show that I can't pin and sew so I used masking tape.

Last edited:

Put on the sleeves, figured out where the adjustable cuffs needed to be, and then attached the star.

Last edited:

Tired on the jacket and I can't raise my arms past horizontal without the waist rising up.
No iconic pose of holding the shield over my head.
So I opened up the seam in the arm pits, inserted a piece of paper, raised my arms and traced a football shaped piece to fill the hole and allow me to raise my arms.

Last edited:

Pants. Would have liked a pair of paratrooper pants dyed to match the blue of the jacket.
Certainly, not going to do it to the ones I have, not buying a new pair, and certainly not making a pair.
So I got an unhemmed pair of EMT pants. Unhemmed pants give a better blouse than those with a hem.
The belt is an issue black belt with black square buckle.

Last edited:

Well done man, I love the "Ultimates" WWII Cap outfit and it looks like you're getting there fast.

Need to change the webgear.

The pistol magazine pouch on the vertical belt is actual WW2 issue. The vertical belt is a cheep copy from Amazon. It's tied together with 550 cord.

Last edited:

Looking great so far! I wish I had taken progress pics of mine while it was being sewn by the wife.

Glad to see others are doing the Ultimates WWII Cap! Can't wait to see more!

Fly and Dan, thanks so much for the info on getting that dang general purpose strap to work. And, Fly, even though you aren't doing the rescue costume now, thanks for the routing instructions/pics! That will be really helpful and save me the time of cutting and sewing.

One more question to you, if you don't mind. How in the heck did you make such a nice rounded top out of that shield? Everything I think of feels like it would make an ugly cut or make that top part very sharp.

Ask away, Crusaderman. Happy to share. Sorry that I didn't show more but,
there are so many shield threads, admittedly most are the round version.

If you don't want to cut your shield.

For the movie top I used a Proxxon with a small cutting disk. Proxxon is a German version of the Drumel.
I then smoothed it out with a big metal file and sand paper. It would have been easier to clean it up with a bench top grinder.
Prior to cutting I drew the desired curve and then taped the good side of the shield. The edge of the tape is where you cut and is a helpful guide since the pencil line disappears when you start cutting. An added bonus is multiple layers of tape provides protection, for the shield, if the cutting disk kicks.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back