Alien: Covenant (Prometheus Sequel)

Re: Paradise (Prometheus Sequel)

And wasn't the whole detour intentional to get the incubation of the Alien going so Weyland could have a live specimen? Like the underlying theme was don't trust big corporations.
Oh come on, there's a world of difference between a bunch of wage-slave space truckers pressured to detour into a situation way above their heads and a no-expense spared expedition comprising field experts with *some* idea of what lay ahead.

If I were a betting man I know who I'd have my money on for which group *should* display more competence and initiative.

Oh come on, there's a world of difference between a bunch of wage-slave space truckers pressured to detour into a situation way above their heads and a no-expense spared expedition comprising field experts with *some* idea of what lay ahead.

Actually, by the way it comes off, those "field experts" had no idea what laid ahead of them. In fact, when they were hired, came aboard the ship and went into and came out of cryo-sleep, except for Shaw, David, Holloway and Vickers, everyone else on board had no idea about where they were heading or what they had signed up for. Nor could they know what they were in for on LV-223. Even if they had an idea on what they were in for, they never could have predicted the black goo or anything else for that matter.

Much like how the crew of the Nostromo, those "wage-slave space truckers" as you put it, had no idea what to expect when they sat down on LV-426. The only one who had any real clue on what to possibly expect was Ash, because he was programmed with that info.

Well, put yourself in the position where the crew of the Nostromo made choices that put them in danger. Bringing Kane onboard when he had a face hugger on him. Dallas and Lambert didn't know what was on him and as far as they were concerned, they wanted to save Kane's life. Is it really that hard to understand Dallas' position in making a tough decision by wanting to save a crewman's life? Yeah, they didn't make the right decisions, but it was understandable why they made them.

Well, put yourself in the position where the crew of the Nostromo made choices that put them in danger. Bringing Kane onboard when he had a face hugger on him. Dallas and Lambert didn't know what was on him and as far as they were concerned, they wanted to save Kane's life. Is it really that hard to understand Dallas' position in making a tough decision by wanting to save a crewman's life? Yeah, they didn't make the right decisions, but it was understandable why they made them.

Again, they had no idea what they were in for when they sat down on LV-426, like how the scientists had no idea what they were in for when they sat down on LV-223. To me, both situations were situations where they were facing a dangerous and not so usual situation. But then again, I could be wrong.

Again, they had no idea what they were in for when they sat down on LV-426, like how the scientists had no idea what they were in for when they sat down on LV-223. To me, both situations were situations where they were facing a dangerous and not so usual situation. But then again, I could be wrong.

When I think truckers in space, I think of people who want to get the job done and get back home with a nice pay check. Not the most professional group of people but they know where it counts. That's what we got in Alien. Simple people with a simple, selfish yet understandable goal.

Now, when I think of an incredibly expensive expedition that features a group of scientists, explorers and biologists, I think of people who are eager to discover the unknown and find answers to their theories. Elizabeth Shaw doesn't have theories. She has beliefs. Now, a scientist can certainly have beliefs, but what good are they doing in the field of science if their whole conclusion is based on faith?

Study: Cave drawings of stick figures pointing at dots.
Theory: These are the creators of humanity.
Supporting evidence: None.
Conclusion: These are the creators of humanity.

A person who bases their supposed scientific conclusions solely on faith is not a scientist. It's like the movie is pretending to know what a scientist is and thinks that making her religious would add more dimension to her character. Religion and science are not the same... at all.

LOL! I like those even better than mine, dude... You know, as crazy as it sounds, we should start a thread with "If Characters Made Smart Choices" and do short funny skits like these.

WEYLAND (off camera) : Try harder.

DAVID: Very well, I will try introducing the black substance to one of the experimental animals we have on board to do tests on, in an isolation chamber like the one we have the head stored in. After all, trying it on a human would be stupid and might potentially endanger you, my creator, and we can't have that.

WEYLAND:
Good idea... and also in line with valid scientific practice and proper handling of biologically active substances, which you should have been programmed to do. After all, you seem to think you can pinch hit for a biologist.

DAVID:
I am also fluent in 6 million forms of communication, of course I can speak Bocci: it's like a second language to me.

CUT TO:

INTERIOR AMPULLA CHAMBER

The BIOLOGIST and the GEOLOGIST see movement in the black goo.

GEOLOGIST:

There's something alive in there!

BIOLOGIST:

I'll have a closer look...

GEOLOGIST:

No, you won't.

(drags him away protesting)

Something killed the Engineers in this place, and I'm betting those things were part of it. You can send in a drone later, but that door is staying shut as long as I'm anywhere around. Oh, and since I now know where we are, I ought to be able to find my way back to the others.

(later)

The reawakened ENGINEER confronts DAVID, who
speaks to the engineer in his own language:

(SUBTITLES)

He wants more life , *****R!

ENGINEER (replies in his own language):

(subtitles)

We made you was well as we could....the lamp that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

(tears david's head off)

DAVID: (to others) Better run like hell.

(they do. Except the two who were sane enough to bring guns. They riddle engineer with enough lead to make him a walking pencil.
He kills them, but the effort of killing them takes him too far away from the console, and he dies. )

with no one at the controls, the ship crashes.

The End.

Last edited:

That's something to consider, how did they even know this stuff was a mutogen? All he had was a vase with some glass looking vials of black stuff. At least if he had a few lab animals mutate on him, it would make sense if Wayland was looking for some way of extending his life, maybe he thought he found the fountain of youth, but wasn't about to test it on himself. it would have been funny if instead of a pregnancy, one of the lab animals that mutated would have attacked Shaw, and that's what was removed from her instead of the squid thing...

Interestingly it looking like Sir Ridley could have been slightly prophetic with the black goo if he goes with a certain explanation for it. Its one that I raised as a possibility in the Prometheus thread way back but this week they have actually announced they have managed to synthesise artificial genetic material that can act like enzymes on terrestrial RNA and DNA.
They have called it XNA Xeno Nucleic Acid!!!! Or to us the precursor to the horrible chaos an advanced form of it could have on terrestrial genetic life forms.

The full article is here :

http://www.newscientist.com/article...-at-life-without-dna-or-rna.html#.VILZtWdKSPk

A basic summary would be that the Engineers are “intermediaries” fashioned from our genetic templates so they “act” like God heads, ruling over us and guiding the formation of our civilisations for their own purposes. Which I would suggest is a ready source of convertible genetic and other raw material.
So it looks to me like either there was a deliberate act of sabotage at the “temples” or an accident. Is that why the Engineer at the beginning is killed, as a promethean form of execution, or atonement, or self sacrifice?
Either way as an experiment it failed and was abandoned. So when the Engineer was revived he immediately panicked because he realized David (as another artificial life form) and the human race had developed to a stage where our civilization represented a huge technological threat to whatever species he served. Hence the immediate attack with the juggernaut.
Anyway this explanation for me leaves a huge opportunity to do something very interesting with the story again, because it leaves the nature of the civilization and species that created the Engineers open to fresh interpretation. It wipes out the rather weak theories that “they created us then forgot us” ,allows the Weylands vanity expedition to manned by hired idiots because that’s what his daughter wanted so she could take over the company from him and it could open the door on a terrifyingly new take on what a none terrestrial terraforming experiment could look like.
At least, after nearly twenty odd rewrites so far, that’s what I hope we will get!!!!!

Re: Alien: Paradise Lost (Prometheus Sequel)

I thought Prometheus established the fact that there are in fact no aliens in the Alien franchise. Only humans wearing suits and not being careful about some goo they created that causes all kinds of weird stuff to happen. Why does this film have ALIEN in the title if it's not about aliens?

I suspect maybe the studio wants every Prometheus sequel to bear the word Alien in its title, regardless of how distant it may be from the timeline of the movie Alien. They likely want the brand association even if these sequels may not feature the classic Xenomorph.

I suspect maybe the studio wants every Prometheus sequel to bear the word Alien in its title, regardless of how distant it may be from the timeline of the movie Alien. They likely want the brand association even if these sequels may not feature the classic Xenomorph.

This isn't about how distant the film is in regards to it's timeline. This is about taking the elements from the original films that were 'identified' as Alien (The Space Jockeys, the Xenomorphs) and establishing that they are in fact NOT alien. The human race are the exact same as the the engineers (Space Jockeys) and the black goo they created ties into the Xenomorphs. The only thing that is alien in the entire franchise now are the Arcturians, and even that's been a subject of debate in terms of what that exchange really meant.

Yeah, considering Ridley's recent comments about not really bridging the universes until a 4th film (!) I suspect this was done on the studios insistence.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back