Possible SE Michigan Prop Party

if there were a gathering how many people would commit this number would then help determine what kind of place to find, wether large or small. so how many will attend if a place is found, I am in Lansing and can think of a few places to check but the numbers would determine what I will look at.

I could really use some numbers to determine where to look, if lets say 10 people I can talk to one of the local coffee houses Gone Wired as they have alot of room, more than that there are several churches that have meeting rooms and banquet rooms - this would save money but I do need to have an idea of how many to look and to plan. anyone here familiar with lansing? Ideas people?

OK people, it is my opinoin that collectors here in Michigan are somewhat antisocial. I have made some suggestions and offered to do some of the legwork and no one really wants to help or even commit. I give up, if there is going to be a michigan prop gathering it is going to have to be put together by someone else.

I've been talking with some people about doing a Columbus, Ohio prop party in the spring. Maybe some folks from the MI area would make the trip.

OK people, it is my opinoin that collectors here in Michigan are somewhat antisocial. I have made some suggestions and offered to do some of the legwork and no one really wants to help or even commit. I give up, if there is going to be a michigan prop gathering it is going to have to be put together by someone else.

After hosting the last 2 MI.P.P. - largely out of my own pocket - I would say that I largely agree with you. The first one I did was great, but with the exception of a handful of old friends who returned, I wasn't really motivated to extend myself again on behalf of the Michigan Prop community.

I would actually prefer to drive to Columbus and meet some new people rather than relive the last Michigan Party. I know a few friends [Mxlplkt, Tripoli] would probably be up for the trip southward as well. Lonnie might tag along, too, if I begged him.

Last edited:
I'd like it to be a big turn out with a huge selection of cool stuff.
I thought about asking people to donate some door prizes.
If we can get it together, I'm game for donating some major $$ props. Helmets, armor, something. :love
Gotta get the people motivated to leave their caves somehow.

Don't think too badly of Michigan prop aficionados, there is a hidden benefit from these events that I see. I for one became significantly more interested in props as a result of a second-hand invite extended to the R2 Builders a few years back.
I remember seeing a leather X-Men jacket that looked amazing, captain Kirk's chair, an amazing variety of lightsabers, a super cool pewter cast MIB Noisy Cricket, Rocketeer stuff, a cool Klingon or two, and I think a female Tusken Raider outfit. There was tons of other stuff, but that's what stood out in my mind. This was probably 4 years ago, and I still remember it as an excellent use of my time. :)
I also recall being quite geeked at another prop party to snag a BTTF Clock Tower flier for free! (My son still plays with the Trek figure somebody gave him at that party too. Thanks!)
I have since managed to actually become a new member after several attempts. I only wish I had more time to devote to this.
That said, I am willing/interested in doing some legwork in hosting a party in Grand Rapids if there's some interest. (I still might be up for a drive to Columbus too...) I know there are at least 5 or 6 R2 Builders in Grand Rapids, so I can only imagine there are a number of RPFers out there too, not to mention the surrounding areas.
It's quite likely that I could hold an event where I work, since we have space in the assembly side of our shop, tables that could be set up, with more than enough space to hold even 1:1 vehicle replicas. ;) But, I'll defer to the masters in this regard. If the consensus is not to bother, I'll go along.
It would have to be prior to late August or early September, however, since baby #5 is due around then and I'm not missing that event in favor of a prop party, no matter what door prizes are given out!
I don't have much to offer in that regard, but hope to have at least a couple of cool replicas I could donate.
...Please don't hate me for being a newbie... :)

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back