Three Legs are better than Two

the DOCTOR

Sr Member
Been working on a walking tank, but this one has three legs, based on the idea that the British Empire might have back engineered from Tripods left behind after "the War of the Worlds"...

...I started out with a selection of acrylic Christmas baubles, one of which was 160mm across, and three at 80mm across, three halves of which became the upper legs, with the help of three disposable plastic wine glasses, the lower legs came from a set of plastic vases, and the feet are the other halves of the 80mm baubles:

IMAG0229.jpg

And that's what I had after a little bit of work, the sockets for both the legs and the ankles were push moulded in 2mm styrene:

IMAG0233.jpg

IMAG0235.jpg

The rather crafty way of articulating them was arrived at after I'd spent two days thinking of increasingly complicated ways of doing it: it being a further push moulded disc on each joint, trapping the socket moulding between itself and the hip or ankle:

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0235.jpg

Really pleased with the way it works, I'll probably use those non-scratch felt pads you can get for furniture feet to stop the paint from scratching when it's painted.

The knees are just old fashioned hinges, with 3mm threaded rod running though a set of 40mm Christmas baubles, all held together with brass dome head nuts:

IMAG0236.jpg

Then came a door:

IMAG0238.jpg

Which opens:

IMAG0239.jpg

Of course, I then realised how difficult it would be for the crew to get on and off, so I made a folding ladder:

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0257.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0254.jpg

Then, in a moment of madness I decided to make an etched brass spiral staircase to get between levels:

IMAG0259.jpg

The basic shape, which folded up to make this:

CIMG2945.jpg

To which I added a handrail:

CIMG2946.jpg

View through the door:

P2201389.jpg

And a quick mock up of the upper level:

P2201390.jpg

I will hopefully be etching a six segment flor panel for this, in a mesh style, so you can see the lower deck through it.

I left this project for a while to finish off the Aerial battleship, but have been quite busy again in the last week, firstly putting some details on the legs:

IMAG0280.jpg

^A flange with nuts and bolts on the shins, to make it look more industrial, and also some bracing on the upper legs:

IMAG0282.jpg

And a door over the ladder slot:

IMAG0286.jpg

IMAG0287.jpg

A large grill on one of the other two sides:

IMAG0284.jpg

Behind which sits this engine:

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

Also, a latch on the door:

IMAG0288.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

The wheels are HO/OO train wheels with the flanges turned off!

On the other side is another engine, based on the notion that Martian technology has three point rotational symmetry:

IMAG0294.jpg

And here they both are, in situ:

IMAG0295.jpg

An interesting exercise was making sure the legs didn't foul the engines!

More soon! ;)

This is really neat, I love War of The Worlds and you never see much mentioned of how the war machines would have advanced the world.

Thanks guys- I like to think not so much "outside the box", as "There's a box?" ;)

Forgot to add that I've worked up the artwork for the decking:

Decking-etch-2.jpg

Also added some dials, gauges and "Herr Döktor's laboratory" logos in the waste space.

Would've got it etched this evening, but my power supply died on me! Got one reserved at my local electronics supplier, luckily they open on Sundays, so I will be back on track tomorrow!

:)

This is fantastic and inspiring. I love too that so much effort is going into the interior. Great job, carry on *salutes*

So I was thinking it looked good, and then I scrolled down to the etched bras and thought it looked great, then I saw how it folded into the staircase, and the hand-rail, and then everything else and it was... wow!

This is still amazing me as I can't even cut a piece of styrene straight let alone do something like this.

This is phenomenal! That staircase is a proper thing of beauty. It never would have occurred to me to make one that way. Well done so far!

Brilliant! It has that 1950's sci-fi look and would profile nicely in the original War of the Worlds...

If you don't mind i'm going the borrow the way you did that knee joint. I can't believe i never thought of something so simple.

If you don't mind i'm going the borrow the way you did that knee joint. I can't believe i never thought of something so simple.

Be my guest! Funny thing is, after years of making prototype action figures (including Muppets, funnily enough), all with working posible joints, I'd spent a couple of days trying to think of the best way to do it on this model, and had come up with increasingly complex ways to do it- it was only on the walk down to my workshop that I came up with the almost ridiculously simple joints above!

Lesson learned: don't over think things!

;)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back