Well, HOORAY! The etchings have arrived:

IMAG0484.jpg

And some of them fitted:

IMAG0486.jpg

View through the door:

IMAG0487.jpg

Added an 8" howitzer from a 1/35 scale kit I picked up cheap in a charity shop:

IMAG0491.jpg

And decided to add a two-part opening hatch in the roof, partly for restocking the weapons, but mainly so there's a way to see all the interior detail:

IMAG0490.jpg

More soon!

Last edited:
A company called Photoetch Consultants, in Walsall, here in the UK:

Home

An A3 sheet of 0.010" brass for £95, cheapest I've managed to find!

:)

Last edited:
My gawd, it's full of awe.
Seriously though, way to really go all out on an original creation. I almost want to not touch/finish any of the PE because the brass color is fitting the steampunk concept.

Yes, thinking of lighting it with flickering submarine style lights, using LEDs from tealights.

Had a go at the top hatch today:

Closed:

IMAG0499.jpg

And open:

IMAG0500.jpg

I'll probably add some more detail on the inside of the hatch, and a couple of handles on the outside.

Thanks for the interest! :)

Acting on comments on the Brass goggles Steampunk forum, I had a go at a three door hatch:

IMAG0501.jpg

And open:

IMAG0502.jpg

Works rather well, and goes with the trilateral symmetry of the whole pice!

Thanks for the interest! :)

Acting on comments on the Brass goggles Steampunk forum, I had a go at a three door hatch:
Works rather well, and goes with the trilateral symmetry of the whole pice!

The tri door looks much better than the two, and the 'teeth' in the doors really fit the whole pulp era look. It looks fantastic!

Can't believe you flipped the door design. Not a task to be taken lightly. Do agree the tri-door is more cohesive with the aesthetic of the rest of the model. One critique, and maybe you're not finished with it -- I would finesse the hinges a little. I applaud that they are functional, but they look a little chunky currently. Perhaps chamfering the lower end of the hinge-half connected to the body, or plating over the brass rod itself. I assume this model will be littered with hexheads and/or rivits and I don't see them on yet -- so pardon me if I'm getting too far ahead.

As it stands tonight, at rest with all hatches open and the weapons lowered:

IMAG0505.jpg

And on the march, weapons raised:

IMAG0507.jpg

Not sure what to do with the extending arm- wrecking ball, claw, morningstar?

(though probably not a sink plunger...)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back