Three Legs are better than Two

Be my guest! Funny thing is, after years of making prototype action figures (including Muppets, funnily enough), all with working posible joints, I'd spent a couple of days trying to think of the best way to do it on this model, and had come up with increasingly complex ways to do it- it was only on the walk down to my workshop that I came up with the almost ridiculously simple joints above!

Lesson learned: don't over think things!

;)

That joint you used is actually totally perfect for Transformers which is what I'm remodeling. Funny how you'll spend days on something then have a simple idea show up, at least you got the idea before you did anything complicated.

Love the design, and the execution is impeccable!

Our fellow member blip attempted a similar build, but he is unfortunately notorious for deleting his posts and images after a while

I love it. Original idea and well conceived plan and execution so far of putting it together. I would like to say I like that stairwell very much and am contemplating putting it in a build of my own someday or at the very least a version of it. Any chance you could post up the art on it so I can do an etching of my own of it or at least have a head start on my own takeoff. Oh and with all that great detail your putting into the inside have you come up with a plan on how your going to display it ?. Any how looking forward to the rest of the build. Oh and have you thought about riveting it on the outside I'm not sure if that's the look your going for or not I was just going back over your pictures and though how cool it would look to have small rivet's along the joints I think I have heard this being done with a glue but I have never done it myself. Well I'm sure there are a bunch of people on here that would help. Either way looking good.

Funny you should mention the rivets, but I am planning on having a lot of rivets on it- I'm using scrapbook 'pearls' for the larger rivets, and have purchased some of Archer's decal rivets:

Archer Surface Details

I haven't tried them yet, but I hear good things about them!

Meanwhile, I have the first etched piece of flooring, done in a tank of saltwater in 10 thou brass:

IMAG0299.jpg

And in place:

IMAG0300.jpg

It's a little rough, but the process didn't run smooth (had to turn off the power supply for the night during the etching), but it forced me to streamline and improve the way I'm delivering the power, so I'll see if the second one is any better.

McGraph: the artwork for the staircase is in Illustrator format, I can convert it to another file format if you need it:

Staircase.jpg

illustrator would be great. So are you gonna do like a rustic steampunk interior ala say 2000 leagues under the sea ?.

spring loaded joints are not only a slick simple solution, but also in-step to the somewhat steampunk feel to the machine. in addition, the staircase feels slightly victorian (not to mention the difficulty of assembling it).
I'm in awe of the concept, the engineering, and the execution.
would love to look at models like this all day.

Not really had much time to work on this of late- but I have been experimenting with the etching- it's not good, I'm investigating etching suppliers as I type!

All I have really done is put in three 'ports' on the upper surface:

IMAG0305.jpg

Each will have a weapon, probably in a moving ball joint, one to be an Earthly take on a heat-ray, another to be an ordinary cannon, and the third...

Well, I'll just have to come up with something!

:)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back