'Pressing' Leather?

Wayne R.

Anyone know how to stop leather adopting a crease or shape you don't want?

Some background:
I bought a War Of The Worlds jacket from Wested recently. It's great, everone who's seen it is impressed, it's comfy, it's warm and fits well.
BUT, unlike Cruise's, it flaps open when worn and is starting to stay that way. I guess Wested -with the best of intentions- went for a really good grade of soft leather, and it's maybe a little too soft. Also, I suspect Cruise's jackets would've probably been weathered on mannequins with the zip fastened, not worn open with wallet, keys & a phone in the pockets.
If you don't know what I mean, compare the real deal from WoTW with the one in Scary Movie 4. Mine's adopting the shape of the latter, at least on the one side.

Seems like all I need is to maybe stiffen the inside leather panels either side of the zipper, the (wearer's) right-hand side is the worst offender. There's a real curve developing there.

I wrote to Wested, but they've yet to reply. Shame, really, I've not had any cause to fault them till now.

Yeah.. Sounds like a construction flaw to me. Jackets are supposed to be interfaced to keep the shape in that area. If not, or if done improperly, it can cause it to do what yours is doing.

It might not be a big problem to go inside and place some more hair canvas or something in there. But then I don't know what the interior construction is like. Or the exterior for that matter. I barely paid attention to that movie. Even less to Cruise. He's kinda smarmy.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back