Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. It's from Shelley! RPF Premium Member Ozymandius's Avatar
    From
    Orlando, FL
    Jun 8, 2012, 8:22 AM - The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #1

With all the Maltese Falcon info scattered all over the place, I wanted to start a new thread to serve as a compendium of sorts. Pics of the different versions out there, pics of your collections, you name it.

I've got some new choice pics for you guys that I'm saving for a few posts down, but I'll start it off with this baby.

My pride and joy, the prop I waited 20 years to make. The Oz Falcon.

From
    North Texas
    Jun 8, 2012, 8:52 AM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #2

That....is,,,,awesome!!
    From
    Maryland
    Jun 8, 2012, 9:08 AM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #3

Very good, sir, very good.
  4. It's from Shelley! RPF Premium Member Ozymandius's Avatar
    From
    Orlando, FL
    Jun 8, 2012, 10:49 AM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #4

Couple of new things I wanted to share.

I know that a lot of people became attracted to the Falcon after seeing Adam Savage's rather brilliant TED talk on the subject. We got a nice shot of the falcon he sculpted in the vid, but there haven't been any good pics to really appreciate what he did.

Well, I happened to have gotten a hold of a copy of it and wanted to share it with the rest of you.

Comparison pnotos of the Savage Falcon beside and Oz Falcon.

As an artist, I love seeing other people's interepretaion of a piece. Both Adam and I have our backgrounds in Special FX; his in hard model building and mine in makeup FX, and I think the differences in our mindsets really shows through in the work. Whereas my lines are very fluid and organic, his are very sharp and hard.

Looking at Adam's falcon you can almost see the industrial mindset at work. There are a lot of hard, flat planes in the front, with the legs being nearly squared. And the back appears like a carved cylindrical column. Very architechtural in its construction.

In contrast, my falcon is all about curves and lines flowing into one another. Even the hard lines on the plinth are rounded over and smooth. And looking at the two side by side, I can see in mine the unconcious need to respect the underlying anatomy, especially in the swell of the belly and chest.

All told, I'm really happy to have Adam's falcon in my collection. If anything, it's made me look at my own work with fresh eyes and even given me ideas on how I can change things up to keep from getting stale.

Oz
    Jun 8, 2012, 11:11 AM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #5

Both are fine examples
  6. It's from Shelley! RPF Premium Member Ozymandius's Avatar
    From
    Orlando, FL
    Jun 8, 2012, 11:37 AM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #6

Seeing how different people interpret a subject has always fascinated me. Adam's falcon is really one of the most unique that's been done, I think.

I'm hoping we get some pics of an MK falcon in here soon. Gotta a lot of respect for that one.
  7. Member Since
    Oct 2011
    Jun 8, 2012, 11:58 AM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #7

some great stuff on your website, some wonderful sculpture pieces
    From
    Michigan
    Jun 8, 2012, 12:04 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #8

I am completely unfamiliar with the falcon but seeing as which you both made 1 and they are clearly different are they based on 2 different ones used in the film? Was there one used for closeups only etc. ?
    Jun 8, 2012, 12:05 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #9

NICE comparison shots! Damn that 10% shrinkage!!!

Glad I have an Oz piece in my collection too!
  10. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    Jun 8, 2012, 12:09 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #10

The one on the left kinda reminds me: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dr6s5Ppl3p...e+%2820%29.jpg
    From
    The dictatorship of Denmark
    Jun 8, 2012, 12:18 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #11

Interesting to see the two interpretations side by side and what thought process went into their creations. The one on the left is definitely sleeker and meaner looking, with the narrower head and frame and the slight forward tilting of the piece gives it motion and a slight aggressive feel, compared to the more at calm right version, which is equally beautiful, but giving a very different emotional feel, in its execution.

Thanks for showing that.
  12. It's from Shelley! RPF Premium Member Ozymandius's Avatar
    From
    Orlando, FL
    Jun 8, 2012, 12:47 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #12

Amish Trooper said: View Post
    I am completely unfamiliar with the falcon but seeing as which you both made 1 and they are clearly different are they based on 2 different ones used in the film? Was there one used for closeups only etc. ?

No, there was only 1 falcon ever seen in the film and both of ours are interepretations of it. And the whole point of the comparison was exploring how our different backgrounds effected the style of our sculpting.

Now granted, I'm a professional sculptor and my specialty is creating highly accurate reproductions. But my point was not which is more accurate, but rather appreciating the beauty of a different perspective. When Adam sat down to sculpt his falcon, he brought with him all his experience and years of making hard models and that shows through in the final piece. In person, you can clearly see a builder's eye at work. That, to me, is way cooler than arguing over who's looks more like the one in the movie.

But then, that's just the artist in me.
    From
    Michigan
    Jun 8, 2012, 12:50 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #13

Oh no I wasn't looking to compare was more curious into the history and if there were more than one style example being the TK helmet. You have Hero and background..
  14. ComedicHistory is offline ComedicHistory
    Jun 8, 2012, 3:53 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #14

They're both beautiful renditions of one of the greatest props in movie history. If I had to chose I think I'd rather have yours in my collection for many of the differences you stated. I do like the column-like shape his wings take but I think yours are more true to form, closer to what the wings of a falcon would be like...then again maybe that's not the point but it does speak to your desire to flesh out the real bird. Great movie, great replica. Thank you.
  15. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Jun 8, 2012, 3:55 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #15

Ozymandius said: View Post
    Seeing how different people interpret a subject has always fascinated me. Adam's falcon is really one of the most unique that's been done, I think.

I'm hoping we get some pics of an MK falcon in here soon. Gotta a lot of respect for that one.
    I posted pics of your's next to an MK in one of the threads since I own both.

Here they are again:

16. planet is offline planet
    Jun 8, 2012, 4:13 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #16

I have two versions the unweighted and weighted from Oz they are stunning
    and very close to what is seen in the film. The weighted is my favorite . I was shocked at how heavy it is
    around 15-lbs On my scale .

though it feels more like 50 ! The Mk is also a VERY accurate sculpture .

My personal feeling is that the head sculpt of the MK not the whole bird is the most accurate ever done. its almost and exact match to the one seen in the film .

I would like to see Mk do another run I would love to have them side by side.
    Last edited by planet; Jun 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM.
  17. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Jun 8, 2012, 4:17 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #17

planet said: View Post
    I have two versions the unweighted and weighted from Oz they are stunning
    and very close to what is seen in the film. The weighted is my favorite . I was shocked at how heavy it is
    around 15-lbs On my scale .

though it feels more like 50 ! The Mk is also a VERY accurate sculpture .

My personal feeling is that the head sculpt of the MK not the whole bird is the most accurate ever done. its almost and exact match to the one seen in the film .

I would like to see Mk do another run I personally would love to have them side by side.
    I saw a MK come up recently, just can't recall where. I'd like one of Oz' regular resin weighteds, but after getting one of his Fertility Idols, I can't swing it at this time.
  18. planet is offline planet
    Jun 8, 2012, 4:27 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #18

whoever said: View Post
    I saw a MK come up recently, just can't recall where. I'd like one of Oz' regular resin weighteds, but after getting one of his Fertility Idols, I can't swing it at this time.

If you remember let me know!!!
    I needs him
    From
    Central Ca
    Jun 8, 2012, 5:40 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #19

Keep in mind that MK's go for a premium price like his original Idols.
    I've only seen one up for sale a few years ago and it was $800.
    From
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Jun 8, 2012, 6:13 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #20

Can we see these compared to screen caps?

Doug
  21. planet is offline planet
    Jun 8, 2012, 10:01 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #21

division 6 said: View Post
    Really well nice as it is I would never pay that for a mk falcon
    maybe 300-400 . 800 in my opinion is WAY to high for a piece like that . Considering Oz's falcon is what quarter of that .
    But if people are willing to pay

oh well i thank you for letting me know . I like my Oz versions even more now if thats possible
    From
    1313 Mockingbird Lane
    Jun 8, 2012, 10:13 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #22

That's a cool prop to have in a collection. I had to watch the film for an Lit course I took in college and wasn't the biggest fan but always did like the falcon.

Both look good and look good because of there differences.
  23. RPF Premium Member TheNickFox's Avatar
    Jun 9, 2012, 1:15 AM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #23

Ozymandius said: View Post
    Comparison pnotos of the Savage Falcon beside and Oz Falcon.
    WOW! What a cool picture. I really love seeing different interpretations on the same prop.

It's why I love any Indy Golden Idol thread that shows the various sculpts. They're all clearly of the same item, but each one has the artist's tells in it.

I really like how aggressive Adam's Dingus looks...wait that came out wrong.

I would say that I'd be proud to have either in my collection, but since I already have one of your birds as the centerpiece of my collection, Oz, I can say I'd be thrilled to have the Savage Falcon (What a good accidental name for such an angry looking chicken) as well.

Great thread all around. Can't wait to see more pictures!

-Nick
  24. Member Since
    Aug 2010
    Jun 11, 2012, 10:12 AM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #24

division 6 said: View Post
    I've never seen one go that high, but have seen them go as high as 600
  25. Member Since
    May 2010
    Jun 12, 2012, 8:01 PM - Re: The Definitive Maltese Falcon thread. #25

What about the Haunted Studios bird? I've heard some not too flattering things about them, but it would be interesting to see some comparison shots.