Black Panther

I wasnt particularly enthused by the teaser trailer at first - I think the trailer perhaps lacked something obvious that popped out to me personally at first. If we were seeing the BP suit for the first time etc (I don't think the reveal in the tree works that well in the trailer). But I've rewatched it a few times now - its growing on me, and fast. I'm thoroughly onboard for the serious tone in the first minute, and the music and therefore the kind of style that Coogler seems to be encouraging in the second minute. That slow beat that kicks in. I think the moment T'Challa is walking forwards arms open to what seems to be a council (?) looks phenomenal.

I think the cinematography looks brooding, with occasional pops of colour that helps it overall look cinematic, which seems slightly different to the unified more singular (and on occasion, more uninspired) cinematography of the MCU at large. And it looks awesome - it makes the idea of a hidden/unfound technologically advanced city/people seem more real I think. It's different to say, the Amazons - where it is expected that the island is a paradise that is meant to be "other" to us.

And at the end, with that music just swaggering along as they show us some action. How cool can it get?? It seems very stylish. And the tone of that seems awesome.

I'm always surprised at how my views change over time, even short periods.

I wasnt particularly enthused by the teaser trailer at first - I think the trailer perhaps lacked something obvious that popped out to me personally at first. If we were seeing the BP suit for the first time etc (I don't think the reveal in the tree works that well in the trailer). But I've rewatched it a few times now - its growing on me, and fast. I'm thoroughly onboard for the serious tone in the first minute, and the music and therefore the kind of style that Coogler seems to be encouraging in the second minute. That slow beat that kicks in. I think the moment T'Challa is walking forwards arms open to what seems to be a council (?) looks phenomenal.

I think the cinematography looks brooding, with occasional pops of colour that helps it overall look cinematic, which seems slightly different to the unified more singular (and on occasion, more uninspired) cinematography of the MCU at large. And it looks awesome - it makes the idea of a hidden/unfound technologically advanced city/people seem more real I think. It's different to say, the Amazons - where it is expected that the island is a paradise that is meant to be "other" to us.

And at the end, with that music just swaggering along as they show us some action. How cool can it get?? It seems very stylish. And the tone of that seems awesome.

I'm always surprised at how my views change over time, even short periods.
You know, I had that exact experience but I wasn't sure about posting it.

On first viewing I nothing really stood out to me. On subsequent viewings I noticed interesting details of each quick shot.

I recall in Civil War, T'challa's father was opening up Wakanda to the global community. I get the sense that T'challa might have returned to Wakanda as king and charged with the burden of fighting a strong isolationist opposition. It's hard not to be isolationist with the tragedy at the UN and the death of the former king. I can hardly wait to see this. I hope this conflict isn't diluted. This could be a great story.

You know, I had that exact experience but I wasn't sure about posting it.

On first viewing I nothing really stood out to me. On subsequent viewings I noticed interesting details of each quick shot.

I recall in Civil War, T'challa's father was opening up Wakanda to the global community. I get the sense that T'challa might have returned to Wakanda as king and charged with the burden of fighting a strong isolationist opposition. It's hard not to be isolationist with the tragedy at the UN and the death of the former king. I can hardly wait to see this. I hope this conflict isn't diluted. This could be a great story.

Been having some thoughts on this.

Wakanda is technologically advanced and wealthy because of the vibranium, right? And yet - this metal was also super rare elsewhere on earth/unheard of in a lot of places. So where exactly does the trade route open up? Do the Wakandans do business with people like Klaw who arent legit (doubt it) or do they do trade deals with other nations (hard to do when you're a secluded, hidden colony?)

And kind of on the back of that, does BP only defend his country from threats/people that try to invade (hence no one making it out alive is ok) or do they defend their nation with lethal force at all times to keep it secret (seems a bit *gulp*)?

I know these can't be answered perfectly yet, we gotta wait for the film. But just peaked my curiosity.

They were in the UN or the Marvel Universe equivalent, right? No way a group of countries admits them without knowing who they are and where they are. It may have been hidden in the past, but i imagine the MCU, it's not. Especially modern day...you can't hide a country from a satellite. If they can spot Lichtenstein and Vatican City, Wakanda should be pretty easy. Short of being an island nation, it's neighbors would have to be able to say - it's right there.

I think it's less that it's not known, and more that they just don't come out to play often. Yes, they're in the equivalent of the UN, and they obviously have some sort of trade going out (Cap's shield is Vibranium as well, and I doubt the US government/SHIELD used someone like Klaw), but they're primarily isolationist.

All I ask is that they keep him in the practical suit as much as possible. It's so sad to see that both he and Spider-Man had their suits painted out in post in favor of CG ones.

Look at those close ups of the Civil War suit! It's beautiful!

...but what were they thinking with that new helmet?? It look awful. Doesn't look menacing at all! The new suit looks ok, but I still prefer the Civil War suit any day :unsure

The costumes look fantastic though. So much color!

All I ask is that they keep him in the practical suit as much as possible. It's so sad to see that both he and Spider-Man had their suits painted out in post in favor of CG ones.

Chances are that most of the time they do use a CG BP you won't know it and the other half you won't care because it works in terms of the action. I really don't care if they occasionally use a CG BP so long as it's well done and not obviously fake looking like they were in the earlier Spider-Man movies, I don't mind because it give the director more freedom in terms of the kinds of shots and stunts that he wants to do and won't be limited by safety or what's possible with wires.

Last edited:
The costumes are so awesome! I especially like Erik Killmonger's (Michael B Jordan) look.

Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 3.45.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 3.46.06 PM.png

I saw a close-up shot of Forest Whitaker from that photo shoot that made it look like he got his eye fixed. Unless it helped his vision, I would think he would keep it as is.

I'm really not a fan of the new helmet. Yes it looks more like a panther, but I would not be afraid of seeing this guy if he's got huge puss in boots eyes. The Civil War suit was just terrifying to look at. I just hope that everything that we see of this helmet in the movie would be a flashback to before he upgrades his suit to the Civil War suit (just my theory)

Screen Shot 2017-07-15 at 8.29.13 AM.png

I'm really not a fan of the new helmet. Yes it looks more like a panther, but I would not be afraid of seeing this guy if he's got huge puss in boots eyes. The Civil War suit was just terrifying to look at. I just hope that everything that we see of this helmet in the movie would be a flashback to before he upgrades his suit to the Civil War suit (just my theory)

View attachment 744075

I haven't liked what I've seen of it either, and then I saw photos of it on display at D23 (including this one). I hate it. The eyes are far too big and the mouth...wth is wrong with the mouth area!? It's got that weird undercut and then it gets darker, and there's a shadow because of the undercut so the whole lower half of the face looks super dark. It just looks weird.

I do appreciate the more feline appearance and the nose of the new helmet. But that's about it...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back