Black Panther

That poster... who's idea was that, and how did that get greenlit?
"We've got a cool movie about a strong, fast, acrobatic super-hero, who totally kicks ass! We need a poster!"
"I've got it. What if he's sitting in a chair in a room?"
"I love it! Make it happen!"

That poster... who's idea was that, and how did that get greenlit?
"We've got a cool movie about a strong, fast, acrobatic super-hero, who totally kicks ass! We need a poster!"
"I've got it. What if he's sitting in a chair in a room?"
"I love it! Make it happen!"

Haha! Well, the throne thing makes sense because he's also the king of an entire country. They're introducing that element to people who may not be familiar with him other than his appearance in Civil War. Overall, it's obviously Boseman sitting on a chair in front of a green screen with a bunch of Photoshop work on the whole thing that it just looks fake and bland. The lighting and shadows are just wonky all over the place

I like the poster.
We've already seen him in action and it's easy to forget he's a king first above being an Avenger. It's good to see him regal. The poster communicates that BP isn't just another vigilante hero.

WOW! This looks awesome, captivating, and super unique!!

I really didn't know what to expect, as I'm not very familiar with the BP from the comics and what Wakanda and its people look like, but everything in this teaser just screams cool. The costumes look phenomenal!

Hope the eyes on the helmet are unfinished CGI. The Civil War helmet nailed the look, and definitely made him look like he's not somebody to be messed with. I got distracted by the huge Puss in Boots eyes that the trailer showed.

Caught this trailer live while watching hoops tonight...and I loved every second of it. Watched it three times in a row just to take it in.

I've had this one on my calendar since it was announced...and the trailer definitely didn't disappoint.

Little disappointed they ruined the perfection they had with his helmet. Much like BVS to Justice League, they just have to tinker and change things, in both cases for the worse.

The trailer itself? I am so hyped for this film. Marvel has been losing me a little lately but this may be the one to draw me right back in. Can't wait!

Little disappointed they ruined the perfection they had with his helmet. Much like BVS to Justice League, they just have to tinker and change things, in both cases for the worse.

What's different between the CA CW helmet and this one?

This definitely looks good. I'm keeping an open mind about how everything looks so polished based on the fact that Klaw says that the whole 3rd World thing is all a front.

What's different between the CA CW helmet and this one?

IMG_7900.JPG

The "Puss in Boots" expression is the main thing that sticks out, but if you look closely they changed the chrome placement, added more "realistic" ears, changed the shape, and from what I can tell removed the African influenced tribal markings.

The CW version was sleeker, with more closed off "cat" eyes, and a lot of cultural influence. IMO, it was the best Superhero costume to grace the screens. Even better than Ironhead's own Batman costume in BVS. They replaced it with what looks perhaps a little closer to the comic interpretation but it reads to me as goofy..
I know a guy who worked on the film and he swears up and down he likes the new helmet better, so who knows.. maybe it just isn't for me.

View attachment 735314

The "Puss in Boots" expression is the main thing that sticks out, but if you look closely they changed the chrome placement, added more "realistic" ears, changed the shape, and from what I can tell removed the African influenced tribal markings.

The CW version was sleeker, with more closed off "cat" eyes, and a lot of cultural influence. IMO, it was the best Superhero costume to grace the screens. Even better than Ironhead's own Batman costume in BVS. They replaced it with what looks perhaps a little closer to the comic interpretation but it reads to me as goofy..
I know a guy who worked on the film and he swears up and down he likes the new helmet better, so who knows.. maybe it just isn't for me.
I completely agree, the CW helmet, design, and final product was perfect. This however...lets hope its just a place holder. I dont understand the mentality of having to change it just cause its a new movie. The people loved it, so leave it alone. Trailer looks amazing.

One thing I dont understand about BP though. I know he has the vibranium suit, but what enables him to do all the superhero acrobatics and stuff? Does he have powers aside from the suit? I wondered that in Civil War too. Cause cap and bucky had the serum so that made sense, but I didnt know what enabled BP to do the stuff he did.

In the comics he has the blessing of a panther god that grants him strength and speed, as well as heightened senses.

In the comics he has the blessing of a panther god that grants him strength and speed, as well as heightened senses.

His powers are a combination of blessings from the Panther god and the enhancing effects of the Heart-Shaped Herb.

Per Marvel's Wiki:
The Heart-Shaped Herb is a plant that only grows in the nation of Wakanda. In legend it was said to have been a gift from the Panther God, the local deity they worshiped, but in reality the plant had been mutated by a giant meteorite of Vibranium crashing into the earth.

To become the Black Panther, the chieftain of Wakanda, a warrior must defeat the current Black Panther and fight six of Wakanda's greatest warriors all at once. After this they must complete several other tasks to prove their worthiness. If they are successful and gain the role of leadership they have the juices of the Heart-Shaped Herb applied to their body. It is said that anyone not worthy or of noble blood would not survive the process.

And per the movie's director:
“People who read the comics would be familiar with the Heart-Shaped Herb and the ceremonies that surround that. That’s partially spiritual. We certainly don’t call it magic, but there’s Vibranium that has been interwoven within that soil and that land for thousands of years, so there are other things going on with it.”

Marvel is so brilliant about how they released this character in the MCU.

By having him featured in Civil War first they already cultivated interest in his character among the non-black and non-comic fandom. Had they started off with the BP film a lot of people might have been wary that the film would simply be some social-statement film with a 99% black cast or worse, a movie designed for a limited demographic.

Though BP isn't technically the first black superhero on the screen, unlike others, T'challa isn't just a black superhero in a white world. He's a character in his own world and culture. The trailer unleashes a grand spectrum of interesting characters in this universe. BP is actually a superhero that a young viewer might even relate to and look up to. I mean, Blade was cool, but he's an anti-hero and nobody really wants to be like that. BP for once isn't a character defined by a struggle with racism but by his nobility, sense of duty and honor and his humanity. In this respect BP seems to have more in common with Captain America and Superman than with Blade. And that's a good thing.

Hey, I wanted to be Blade when it was first released almost 20 years ago, and I'm white, lol.

I get what your saying though.
Fair enough. LOL. So did I and I'm not black either.

But I never aspired to be a guy like Blade.

(BTW. Your GotG v2 shirt got to me just in time for the premiere. Thanks! Now, what would it take to reproduce the seam lines, too?)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back