Iron Man Mk VI FOAM Build (Pic Heavy!)

AkiBadtrip

Okay... new member here! I'd like to thank everyone for helping me out on this build! STEALTH for the Youtube tutorials and robo3867 for the pep files! I'm ALMOST done with my build but a certain RPF-er named madrick successfully convinced me to make my own thread and list some of the parts that I'm still working on... pics will be added soon. So please bear with me while I work on that. Still new to all these stuff!

Started this build first week of Feb...was doing okay 'til I ran out of foam... I'm on my third Gluegun. Don't worry! I intend to replace this with something heavy duty like the one from Stanley I saw. Used about 2 packs of glue sticks so far (pack of 6), scissors and cutter..enough with those stuff:

So here's where I'am now...

Suitup.jpg

Almost done... well, yes but still a long way to go... still working on the gloves.

Here's a custom piece I was working on earlier today:
DSC03374.jpg

it goes at the back of the thigh & and shin. here it is...not yet glued though:
DSC03377.jpg

as you may have noticed, I didn't glue the sides of this part to give way for flexing:
DSC03381.jpg

This is the before and after shots of the back piece with the added "brace" part:
DSC03330.jpg

DSC03332.jpg

Instead of making the whole brace I only did the part that will be visible

Now here's the foot flap:
DSC03378.jpg

I glued some string on the back by inserting them on some slits I made:
DSC03379.jpg

I plan to add some slits to the shin area so this part is movable:
DSC03380.jpg

Now here's a photo of my boots. My old skate shoes has been offered to the IM Boots for a comfortable fit:)
DSC03383.jpg

That's all for my first post! Thanks for viewing guys! Let's keep building!

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man Mk VI FOAM Build

Here's the FIRST Arc reactor I had..
78220dd8.jpg

this is just a flash light that I disassembled...all I did was add some details b simply using some strips of electrical tape. It was supposed to be temporary since I plan on making a detailed arc..but for some reason the flash light is no longer working...I guess it could be some wiring I messed up since I'm no expert in electrical stuff.. I usually IMPROVISE :) I'm planning to use some more flashlights on my reactor, eyes, and repulsors. The good thing about these is that they all have built in rechargeable batteries. Can't wait to start working on them flashlights!

This is looking so awesome! I will be following this with eagerness :) Yo've set a target for me with my foam build :p

Amazing job pal. Keep posting pictures please!!

Thanks Bud! I was babbling and typing away but never really considered anyone checking my thread. Hahaha! I plan on sharing on stuff that I learn a long my journey on finishing my suit. Some useful tips here and there :)

This is looking so awesome! I will be following this with eagerness :) Yo've set a target for me with my foam build :p

Wow! Really?! Thanks a lot! I'm glad my first thread is motivating fellow builders... I'd be happy to check your progress too!

Last edited:

Do not under estimate "the Force" (of pinoy power!... LOL:lol)

Nice clean build pre... keep it up (y)thumbsup

cheers!

Build looks great!

Thanks bustermedic! Hope to finish this week.

I'm still working in the gloves, for the mean time here are some pics I took to show some modifications I did:

Originally the Cod piece have a slit on the front. Like a pair of pants, making it easier to put it on and open it if nature calls :)
e7f1a5d6.jpg

This is where it used to be:
7db03652.jpg

Here's the modified version(Notice the velcro sticking out? It's where the spine will be attached which is glued to the back of the ab piece.Now I don't have to worry about too much issues with the Cod piece slipping from it's spot(will take a pic later):
b958d771.jpg

Switched from front to back fly. It's impossible to hide it in front so I opted to change it:
7c26003b.jpg

Here is a shot of the fly open:
7020e1c8.jpg

And here's the forearm piece, i used wall puttyto fill in gaps. Sanded them and it's good. I did a crappy job with hot gluing it before so I tried this approach:
30c67d39.jpg

71a5f288.jpg

Issues with tapatalk, will attach images as soon as I get to my laptop.

(Originally)Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Interested to see how the wall putty turns out. I think you need a more flexible filling agent then that. I would be afraid it would crack.

Really fantastic work, especially on that helmet. I am so jealous as I have absolutely NO foam skills whatsoever. Can't wait to see updated painted pics.

Really good work!!! Can't wait to see it finished

Thank you! Honestly there were times when I don't even know if I'll get this done. I'm a total noob with all these. I don't know why I love giving myself a hard time. I remember when I got my first tattoo, instead of getting a small one to get the hang of it, I opted to get one that occupied half of my bicep! Now I'm doing the same thing with these suit. Instead of trying out just the helmet I went ahead and worked on the whole suit. I'm so scared on messing up with the paint job,but I guess I'll never learn if I don't do it right? I appreciate all the comments that this community has given to my build. I can see myself working on a lot more projects and sharing my progress in this community. :)

Interested to see how the wall putty turns out. I think you need a more flexible filling agent then that. I would be afraid it would crack.
True. I did consider the possibility of cracking. Though I only used it to fill in a gap which is this part here:
ForearmGaps.jpg

Wonder how the other guys dealt with this? Hmmm..I was surprised to see this. This was one of the first piece that I did so I was not that familiar with Pepakura Designer back then, seeing this now...oh nvm :lol

Really fantastic work, especially on that helmet. I am so jealous as I have absolutely NO foam skills whatsoever. Can't wait to see updated painted pics.

Thank you! Unfortunately, as with most first time builders I encountered the dreadful scaling dilemma :unsure So I'll make a new one this week.

Will be posting updates soon. Thanks for viewing!

Last edited:
i dont kn ow if there's some close to u.. but i did use paintable silicone to fill some gaps on mine, ill post pictures soon. its still bendable, dont crack and its pretty smooth.. but i really like the way docholiday78 did for sealling + smoothing his IM!! just incredible... have a look

i dont kn ow if there's some close to u.. but i did use paintable silicone to fill some gaps on mine, ill post pictures soon. its still bendable, dont crack and its pretty smooth.. but i really like the way docholiday78 did for sealling + smoothing his IM!! just incredible... have a look

Yeah. I think I saw that one. I believe he used Rondo. I'll probably stick with just plain PVA glue, prime it then blast away with paint :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Not much was done yesterday since I needed to do some errands... planning to finish the hands today so good luck with that! I did a quick layer of PVA glue on the pieces that I have finished. Forgive me for the blurry pics, I was using my ipod.

I also applied some epoxy to this part here (colored green)
6e76a1be.jpg

I had some issues with it (it tore off the first time I wore it) hopefully, this solves the problem.

I also mentioned sharing some modifications I did last week. Here they are:

Here's the updated ab piece. Added the curved look and added some thin cardboard pieces to seal the square holes. :
68db381b.jpg

5c8825f6.jpg

These are cutouts from a cardboard packaging of a hair product. I chose this since it seems to be covered outside with some thin plastic membrane. That material might be able to repel some moisture from sweat when wearing the costume. Not sure though.

I also made use of the cardboard strips in "forming" the biceps. The foam template was missing some strips to give it the look from the 3d model. Hope these pictures explains itself:
1cddf76e.jpg

099a2da0.jpg

Now this is how I attached the Cod piece to the Abs. Notice the green thingie? That's where the velcro is :love :
2cd5fc7b.jpg

The back looks better with the spine details don't you think?
3d32e731.jpg

'til the next update! Cheers! :cheers

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back