Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 painted pieces

docholiday78

Sr Member
Well I decided to make my own thread to put updates of my armor and its my first ever lol. Anyways Its Darksides 501st design. Its awesome check it out...http://www.therpf.com/f24/darkside501sts-iron-man-mk-vii-pepakura-files-139470/ Im using 3mm EVA foam and I seal it then coat it wit rondo. If your intrested in coating yours heres how with Xrobots method http://www.therpf.com/f24/how-plastic-coat-foam-costume-pieces-146539/ I have more pics there of my helmet to check out. I work alot so its kinda slow build but when I do I'll make sure their worth takin a look at. Any questions or comments welcome and hope you guys like it :)

Last edited:
Re: Ironman Mark VII coated with rondo

Good to see that you're starting your own thread. You REALLY need to put a detailed process and list of materials in here because I intend to use your method.

Also, you said 3mm EVA foam? You didn't have problems with the foam being to flimsy and not holding it's shape?

Good to see that you're starting your own thread. You REALLY need to put a detailed process and list of materials in here because I intend to use your method.

Also, you said 3mm EVA foam? You didn't have problems with the foam being to flimsy and not holding it's shape?

Thats cool. I'll take step by step pics of next part I coat to show the exact process and materials I use. And I had more of a headache with the floormat foam to keep its shape and with 3mm I had no trouble...well so far anyways lol

Well I decided to make my own thread to put updates of my armor and its my first ever lol. Anyways Its Darksides 501st design. Its awesome check it out...http://www.therpf.com/f24/darkside501sts-iron-man-mk-vii-pepakura-files-139470/ Im using 3mm EVA foam and I seal it then coat it wit rondo. If your intrested in coating yours heres how with Xrobots method http://www.therpf.com/f24/how-plastic-coat-foam-costume-pieces-146539/ I have more pics there of my helmet to check out. I work alot so its kinda slow build but when I do I'll make sure their worth takin a look at. Any questions or comments welcome and hope you guys like it :)

Really nice progress so far. Thanks for the shout out! I am really looking forward to seeing your build... I need to decide if I am gonna use this/your method or if I am gonna do a traditional pep build. I can't wait to see your future posts.

could u tell me if u, or anyone else have ever tried with drywall stuff to make a smooth finish? will it be flexible enough and more afordable?

could u tell me if u, or anyone else have ever tried with drywall stuff to make a smooth finish? will it be flexible enough and more afordable?

Ive really dont know if anyone tried drywall but I wouldnt cuz Ive put drywall before and plaster would crack all the time but people would tell me the same thing. If you try let me know how it turns out. good luck

Really nice progress so far. Thanks for the shout out! I am really looking forward to seeing your build... I need to decide if I am gonna use this/your method or if I am gonna do a traditional pep build. I can't wait to see your future posts.

Thanks darkside, Im sure anyway you decide It'll come out cool and I want to check out. More updates comin real soon

I've dried drywall on a couple pep jobs and it cracked very easily, stick with bondo/rondo imo

What is the ratio you are using on your rondo and how is the sandability? I have used rondo in the past and I find it turns out too hard to sand well. It looks like you got a great surface on yours.

What is the ratio you are using on your rondo and how is the sandability? I have used rondo in the past and I find it turns out too hard to sand well. It looks like you got a great surface on yours.

50/50 and I try to put it as smooth as possible so less sanding. It sands pretty easy, I use a dremel and sanding block and thats pretty much it. It took me awhile to get the hang of rondo but as long as you do thin coats you should have no problem sanding. Good luck

Doc- You made that helm in foam ? If so, that is the best foam helm I have ever seen. No way to tell it is foam and you can always tell. Does this have the same rondo coating?

How many layers of Rondo did you do on your shins?

Doc- You made that helm in foam ? If so, that is the best foam helm I have ever seen. No way to tell it is foam and you can always tell. Does this have the same rondo coating?

How many layers of Rondo did you do on your shins?

Thanks Shades and yes its foam coated with rondo, as for the shin I put 2 layers and i kinda rushed the second one oh well...but I'll post pics of it painted real soon

The helmet is 2 piece. The back of helmet is separate, Im not going to separate faceplate maybe in the future.

Just a small update, almost done with hand. Had to take break eyes goin cross eyed lol. Another update comin with some more pieces coated and painted.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back