Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 painted pieces

Re: Ironman Mark VII coated with rondo

I am now convinced that rondo is the way to go for foam builds. Thanks for posting the progress pics.

I was wondering:

> What are you using to glue the foam pieces together? Contact cement?

> So applying 3-4 layers of spray on mod podge (or diluted PVA) helps keep the 3mm foam rigid enough to then apply 2 layers of rondo?

no problem n thanks for checking out my thread. Yes i keep adding layers of modp untill the foam looks shiney. yup its rigid enough, i like using foamies cuz since ive started armor i used the same pair of scissors, just sharpen them occasionally no need to buy blade and also I can shape without heatgun. hope that answers questions...later

no problem n thanks for checking out my thread. Yes i keep adding layers of modp untill the foam looks shiney. yup its rigid enough, i like using foamies cuz since ive started armor i used the same pair of scissors, just sharpen them occasionally no need to buy blade and also I can shape without heatgun. hope that answers questions...later

Thanks Doc for the reply. So sealing with multiple coats of mod podge is important. :thumbsup

But what kind of glue do you use to attach the foam pieces together after cutting them out with your scissors... hot glue or contact cement or something else?

Thanks Doc for the reply. So sealing with multiple coats of mod podge is important. :thumbsup

But what kind of glue do you use to attach the foam pieces together after cutting them out with your scissors... hot glue or contact cement or something else?

Sealing the foam is the most important step, if not sealed correctly you'll run into alot of problems with the rondo not bonding to it. I myself probly go over board with the modpodge but better safe than sorry lol also I use a 5 dollar glue gun I got from walmart

Hey guys, with the permission of docholiday78 i will put some imaghes of the work that im doing on my Mk VII following the method of coating with rondo the foam piece.Thanks for the advices by the way. So the first images are from the layers i put over the chest piece and the other ones are from a rough finish. After sand, add some putty, sand again and then some primer. hope you like it.

Attachments

• pic 3.JPG
    pic 3.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 1,093

Hey guys, with the permission of docholiday78 i will put some imaghes of the work that im doing on my Mk VII following the method of coating with rondo the foam piece.Thanks for the advices by the way. So the first images are from the layers i put over the chest piece and the other ones are from a rough finish. After sand, add some putty, sand again and then some primer. hope you like it.

Great job, its gettin alot smoother

Wow... awesome! This is great stuff.

thanks Morbid, and great job on yr peppd hand,those r a pain n looks way better than when i gave peppin hand a try... mine ended up lookin like big ball of glue :p

thanks doc and morbird. I have acquiered a premium bondo for a friend that im gonna test in a few days to see how is it works. According to him, it doesent need the red putty after sanding for the irregularities.

Man doc, this is one good looking build. You deffinetly have some skills! I love the half an iron man look you got goin on there. Just make the left side tiny star and you got one original costume! Haha
Keep up the good work!

Man doc, this is one good looking build. You deffinetly have some skills! I love the half an iron man look you got goin on there. Just make the left side tiny star and you got one original costume! Haha
Keep up the good work!

leftside? :facepalm I knew I forgot somthin..haha jk, thanks Helagak, I'm hopefully gnna finish top half this weekend almost done with the back which if everything goes as planned will have articulating flaps but not with servos. Im a try to keep it cost effective and simple. Dont like over complicating my builds..,peace

Ok, sorry for the stupidity... But is rondo actually the Smooth On 65D? I noticed you said you were using robo's plastic coat method, but then you go on to talk about rondo, and im not quite sure what rondo is... So when you say "Rondo", are you just talking about the Smooth On 65D? Also, if I am correct in my assumption, does that mean you also use bondo to fill in small holes left from the rondo/foam? Thanks!

Ok, sorry for the stupidity... But is rondo actually the Smooth On 65D? I noticed you said you were using robo's plastic coat method, but then you go on to talk about rondo, and im not quite sure what rondo is... So when you say "Rondo", are you just talking about the Smooth On 65D? Also, if I am correct in my assumption, does that mean you also use bondo to fill in small holes left from the rondo/foam? Thanks!

Well when I saw Xrobots tut it gave me the idea to to coat it pva first and couldnt find none locally so i substituted it with modpodge and took a chance coating it with rondo and it worked. It is not smooth on 65 d. I never tried that stuff but I give credit to him for helpin me come up with my idea and rondo is bondo and fiberglass resin mixed to more liquid form. I try not to use just plain bondo cuz it might crack i just coat it enough to sand smooth hope that helps

I was hoping to paint arm but you guys know how that goes lol but heres some pics of of when I just applied rondo on forearm and it levels out as it cures and some more pics of arm primered and just little more touch ups still needed before paint also shoulder has one coat of rondo. Just remeber I just threw it on and being held by tape thats why unfinished back was barely hangin on lol...enjoy ;D

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back