Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 painted pieces

Re: Ironman Mark VII coated with rondo

I'm pepping and fiberglassing my helmet cuz I plan to make it more robotic and such, then probably pep and fiberglass the chest and back pieces, but I think the rest, I might go with your foam method. I too would love to see how you did the boots, but I may go with the reference pics and probably make them from scratch. Like you mention, I don't like the snowboot look either. Stealth was right, this looks nothing like foam once you rondo it up and paint it. :p Very nicely done. :cheers

phew worked hard on it this weekend cuz I wanted to give ya'll a better idea how my armor will look....enjoy:)

Looks really good - I'm still a little skeptical about Polyester based resin in thin layers and it cracking on larger pieces, as opposed using Polyurethane resin, but it's really good progress - good to see.

I'm pepping and fiberglassing my helmet cuz I plan to make it more robotic and such, then probably pep and fiberglass the chest and back pieces, but I think the rest, I might go with your foam method. I too would love to see how you did the boots, but I may go with the reference pics and probably make them from scratch. Like you mention, I don't like the snowboot look either. Stealth was right, this looks nothing like foam once you rondo it up and paint it. :p Very nicely done. :cheers

Thanks, glad ya like boots :)

Looks really good - I'm still a little skeptical about Polyester based resin in thin layers and it cracking on larger pieces, as opposed using Polyurethane resin, but it's really good progress - good to see.

Hey Xrobots! cool that ya like it. As for cracking maybe if I bend it in half then yes it can crack but I dont plan on doin that with my armor lol. Its basically a homemade gelcoat and most high quality marine gelcoats are made with polyester resin. My armor so far is pretty strong Ive even dropped it on my concrete floor in garage and didnt chip,crack so as long as I dont beat it with hammer it'll be fine lol...take care, peace

Thanks, glad ya like boots :)

Hey Xrobots! cool that ya like it. As for cracking maybe if I bend it in half then yes it can crack but I dont plan on doin that with my armor lol. Its basically a homemade gelcoat and most high quality marine gelcoats are made with polyester resin. My armor so far is pretty strong Ive even dropped it on my concrete floor in garage and didnt chip,crack so as long as I dont beat it with hammer it'll be fine lol...take care, peace

I tried rondo along time ago on my abs on my Mk 6 it wasn't flexible so I just shot plasti-dip over them. I liked It but it wouldn't have worked! Good Job Dude! Love your Suit...and Helmet. I'm on my way back with a foam version of the Maquette Mk 6! Its turning better than my "Original will post Soon! "Oh yeah I will rondo this one! Blackdynamo1....Keep Building!:thumbsup

I tried rondo along time ago on my abs on my Mk 6 it wasn't flexible so I just shot plasti-dip over them. I liked It but it wouldn't have worked! Good Job Dude! Love your Suit...and Helmet. I'm on my way back with a foam version of the Maquette Mk 6! Its turning better than my "Original will post Soon! "Oh yeah I will rondo this one! Blackdynamo1....Keep Building!:thumbsup

Wow thanks Blackdynamo. I saw your Mark 6 on the Herotutorials (which was awesome by the way) you and Stealth inspired me to give this hobby a try and thanks for that. Man Im so pumped now to finish my suit lol and cant wait to see your foam Maquette Mk 6 :D

Well I decided to make my own thread to put updates of my armor and its my first ever lol. Anyways Its Darksides 501st design. Its awesome check it out...http://www.therpf.com/f24/darkside501sts-iron-man-mk-vii-pepakura-files-139470/ Im using 3mm EVA foam and I seal it then coat it wit rondo. If your intrested in coating yours heres how with Xrobots method http://www.therpf.com/f24/how-plastic-coat-foam-costume-pieces-146539/ I have more pics there of my helmet to check out. I work alot so its kinda slow build but when I do I'll make sure their worth takin a look at. Any questions or comments welcome and hope you guys like it :)

wich number of sand paper that you use to sand the pieces?

Re: Ironman Mark VII coated with rondo updates

Sorry it took long for any updates just been working long hours, anyways heres some info bout the suit. I was having trouble scaling Darksides bicep every size would fit me wrong but he explained why on his thread. So I scatch built my own arms, meanin forearms, bicep, shoulder and elbow using reference photos and sized just right. The chest is darksides. I know my armor isnt movie accurate but I dont care I like the lean look rather then the bulky look. In my opinion I think it looks more comic style and cooler thats what Im going for. Hope you guys like it :D .....also held together by wonderful tape lol for now, ..peace

Lookin' good there doc. The more pieces of yours I see built the better understanding I have of the rondo-over-foam method. Can't wait to see more.

I was going to say the same. Overall the work looks great, and I think you have the rondo process nailed! But I agree, the chest does look a bit small

looks good, alltho i think the chest is too small :/

thanks n like i posted with update im going for more lean look not bulky

I was going to say the same. Overall the work looks great, and I think you have the rondo process nailed! But I agree, the chest does look a bit small

thanks kevin, as for chest its was just held wit tape i sized it right for the look im going for. Im putting my own spin on it, but thanks for your opinion :)

I am now convinced that rondo is the way to go for foam builds. Thanks for posting the progress pics.

I was wondering:

> What are you using to glue the foam pieces together? Contact cement?

> So applying 3-4 layers of spray on mod podge (or diluted PVA) helps keep the 3mm foam rigid enough to then apply 2 layers of rondo?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back