Mold Making

Did you use the search feature? THere is tons of threads on molding, materials etc. You may also want to head over to the general modeling forum and watch the videos that Steve Neill has put up about his Space Command clipper build.

Very informative video. Thanks.

I bought a mold making starter kit from MakeYourOwnMolds.com but it hasn't come in yet, so I can't comment on it yet. I'm hoping to get started with casting soon.

I love Brick in the Yard's video series. A lot of what I learned was trial and error, but the first thing I would do if you want to make molds is get a gram scale. They're like $20 and worth every penny in what you'll save in not guessing weight ratios. Unless of course you go with something like Smooth-on's Oomoo. But Oomoo is only one kind of material and narrowing yourself like that doesn't really do you any favors. But yeah, get a gram scale, it makes your life easier. Also you can use rice/math to determine the volume of your mold box, and the RTV should almost always come with sheets that tell you the weight/volume ratio, that way you only mix up what you need and don't waste any, because that stuff can get pricey :)

What about putting in air release channels and a pour channel? This is a good example but there are more steps to making a good mold that this leaves out...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back