Star Trek III & IV Spacedock "Tug" Shuttle

Why couldn't the different sizes be for a more practical reason? Maybe the variations were due to the different types of elements they "tugged". There is no money in ST, but that doesn't mean that they are gonna use a tug designed to haul a 300,000. ton warp-ship to haul a few thousand kilos of dura-steel, or romulan ale or whatever. The larger an objects mass, even in space, the more force has to be applied to affect its momentum.. It would be a waste of resources to kill a fly with flame thrower. (My two cents! :) ) Can't wait to see the kit. I would scratch it myself, but I have 4 models staring me down, already. Ha! :)

Bill George here. This model was a very quick build, likely 3 days. Only one model was built. The main upper and lower shells were vacu-formed over basswood patterns. For the upper shell I first pulled a thin layer of clear followed by two thicker layers of opaque styrene. This allowed for the recessed canopy and thick plates on top. The F-14 and F-16 parts make up the bulk of the engines. As listed on one of the stills the fins in the back are tractor beam emitters, as the ship was designed to be a "tug". The decals used were from the large decal sheets that were designed and printed for Star Trek: the Motion Picture. The ones on top kinda look like washing machines. Somewhere around here I have the small sketch that the design was based on. This model sports a super cheep armature rig. The black squares you see on the sides of the ship are actually the ends of recessed square brass stock. I epoxied the next smaller size down of square stock into a standard 3/4 inch mount rod. I then very slightly bent the smaller square stock so when you inserted it into the square stock in the model it wedged in.

Bill George here. This model was a very quick build, likely 3 days. Only one model was built. The main upper and lower shells were vacu-formed over basswood patterns. For the upper shell I first pulled a thin layer of clear followed by two thicker layers of opaque styrene. This allowed for the recessed canopy and thick plates on top. The F-14 and F-16 parts make up the bulk of the engines. As listed on one of the stills the fins in the back are tractor beam emitters, as the ship was designed to be a "tug". The decals used were from the large decal sheets that were designed and printed for Star Trek: the Motion Picture. The ones on top kinda look like washing machines. Somewhere around here I have the small sketch that the design was based on. This model sports a super cheep armature rig. The black squares you see on the sides of the ship are actually the ends of recessed square brass stock. I epoxied the next smaller size down of square stock into a standard 3/4 inch mount rod. I then very slightly bent the smaller square stock so when you inserted it into the square stock in the model it wedged in.

Thank you for your post! Does IMDB have your trivia correct? You brought your homemade Y-Wing to ILM when applying..only to have them use it in the film?!

Does it matter which F-14 or F-16, as long as they are Tamiya 1/32? The F-14 comes in A-D, for example. I have been dying to try a studio-scale build... if I can find the right kits, I'll do it! :)

this is the hasagawa?
images
I saw one on e-bay.
... I am serious about building this. I just wish the models weren't so expensive. I may just cast the parts I need so I can build the jets when I am done... BONUS!!! :)

I certainly wouldn't want to rob the Tamiya Tomcat of a few donor parts, it's much too nice a kit. Maybe the Revell kit could be used, it's much cheaper.

I've looked at the Revell F-14 kit and its sub-assemblies are just different enough to likely cause some issues. The Tamiya F-14 can be found for cheaper prices than what it once went for since Trumpeter did their F-14 kit because Tamiya's kit still has raised panel lines (except for a mid-1990s tooled nose sprue) and a cockpit with no raised details and decals for the instruments. Revell's F-14 on the otherhand has recessed panel lines.

In my case, I have two out of three kits needed for this project as I have a parts donor F-16 and a totally unbuilt F-14. I just need to secure a second Hasegawa F-16 for a cheap price and I'll be set with most of what I need. Although if Timeslip is doing one, I might just get one of theirs (or see if I can get a main body from them while I use my parts for the rest of the model).

Attachments

• IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2693.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_2697.JPG
    IMG_2697.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 259
Re: Star Trek III & IV Spacedock "Tug" Shuttle

No.Not my department.

- - - Updated - - -

whoops double post

You know those tug operators probably go to work every day... bored out of their minds. If they could only know how much any of us would give to be a tug operator in a space-dock. :D

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back