Aliens: "Allen" Ripley costume

Risu

Master Member
Thanks to cavx for the name. This is the build thread for my male Ripley costume from Aliens. Because Ripley is a bad*** and because everything she's wearing is completely unisex anyhow, I decided to put this costume together. First finishing up a so-so version for Prometheus and finishing it for real for Dragon Con. So here's what I've got so far.

I picked up this jacket on ebay a few days ago. The collar is a little oversized, the ribbing is worse for wear, it's missing the extra pockets, and the liner is the wrong color, but it's a pretty darn good match to hers. Especially considering that Wested, the makers of the original jacket, can't even come close to making a replica this good. As far as I can tell it's a Schott motorcycle jacket from the 80s. It's missing a zip-out liner and looks like it used to have a snap on shearling collar as well. The back design and front pockets are dead on and the storm flap is on the correct side.

DSC02842.jpg

DSC02844.jpg

Underneath is a plain white t-shirt and for now some place-holder pants that I just dug out of a box I haven't opened since high school.

DSC02841.jpg

The watch is a Seiko, but not the right kind. I don't have the hundreds of dollars to shell out on the correct one. I plan to find a watch with a black face and a similar band and make the outcropping button thing with some aluminum bar stock.

Lastly and most importantly, the shoes. I wasn't able to get the correct Alien Stompers in my size, so I went with an arguably better alternative. The Reebok BB6600.

ReebokBB6600.jpg

The soles (not counting the bottom) are identical to the Stompers, and in my opinion the white leather is more accurate than the light grey anyway. These have a higher top as well that matches the screen worn shoes better than that of the released Stompers. My plan for now is to paint the red sections dark grey (white for the ones near the toe), paint on the red stripe around the heel, make a new red tongue out of vinyl, and add the flap over the laces, the grey straps, and an extra 3 inches or so to the top all with vinyl. I just picked up my vinyl and liner fabrics today (as well as the t-shirt) for a grand total of $5.

DSC02845.jpg

The shoes are expected to arrive on the opening weekend of Prometheus, I'm hoping sooner rather than later. The modifications won't take long, and I plan to make the tongue ahead of time.

The long term plan is to remove the entire upper from the soles, take each piece apart, make a pattern, and modify that pattern to be accurate, then remake both shoes from real leather and reattach them to the original soles. The end result will be the first ever completely accurate pair of Alien Stompers. It's a lofty goal, but I'm confident I can pull it off.

I'll probably also document my pulse rifle build here as well. I've got a plastic airsoft Thompson already, I'll pick up a SPAS-12 airsoft and scratch build the stock, handle, and casing, unless I can find a kit for dirt cheap.

For those of you who are big fans of the movie, is it known if Ripley's jumpsuit was custom made, or is it an off the rack item?

Last edited:
Re: Aliens: Male Ripley costume

Cool thread. So can we call this an "Allan Ripley" suit? :behave

Are the twin straps dark grey?

Re: Aliens: Male Ripley costume

I like that, Allen Ripley. :lol Changing the thread title.

It definitely looks like the straps are both the same dark grey as the heel and ankle. For the "rough draft" shoes I'm just going to paint "Reebok" onto the bottom strap, but for the complete rehash I'm hoping my local copyrights-be-damned embroidery guy will do me a solid and just do a few of the Reebok logos for me on some of the grey leather for the strap and back of the heel.

So can we expect to see this photo in your future?
alien_sigourney_hi.jpg

Haha.

Seriously, great idea!! I love the role reversal and looks to be a pretty cool/comfortable costume!

So after some rigorous googling (probably not the best phrasing) I've found that the jumpsuit magically turned into a jacket and pants halfway through the movie. My original plan, based mostly on the action figure, was to make the top and bottom one piece in the back, but have them split in the front and snap together under the belt. That way it could be worn as a jumpsuit, or you could disconnect the snaps, pull the jacket to the back, fold it over the belt, and have the appearance of the sleeves tied around your waist. I'm still leaning toward this design because I think it's cool, but I need to watch the movie on bluray before making any real decisions about the jumpsuit.

No, from the scene where she first puts it on it looks like it's one piece, not even a seam at the waist.

Not at all, I'm putting off about 5 other costumes to work on this one. Partly because I have no impulse control, partly because I think making these Reeboks will be good practice for making my Mal and Altair boots from scratch.

I found a really nice pair of black fatigues that I want to add a join at the waist to form a suit that can be either a one or two piece. Probably use velcro for that.

I think my plan just changed, I may have just IDed her jump suit. It might not be easily obtainable though, so that's all I'm saying for now.

Sometimes I wonder how quickly you read my posts. I'm not aborting the project, I'm just not making it two-piece anymore. I'll be picking up the mostly accurate jump suit and modifying it to make it look like it did in the movie. It could be different because they modified it for the movie themselves, or because the details were a little different on the older models. Right off the bat I can tell that the modern suits don't have epaulettes and the belt design has changed. They may have also tweaked a couple of the pocket designs. Ripley wore a couple different suits, and some were definitely modified, so I'm not overly concerned with pegging one of them exactly.

How wierd is this, at a recent event my fiancee was told ny some UK colonial Marines that she should do the Aliens Ripley Character (she was in Fem Armour at the time)

so this thread has come along just at the right time, any help tips or hints on getting the Womens :lol clothing would be great

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back