Aliens: "Allen" Ripley costume

Can't really help you there, I'm afraid. The liners in the ankle sections of the Reeboks are car headliner fabric. The toe sections aren't actually lined, they just have fusible fleece pressed to the leather.

Thanks for that. It is a good place to start.

Hi Risu,

I identified the open cell foam as reticulated foam. This stuff is used for many things including filters for fish tanks and even acoustically transparent grill covers on some speakers. Given its "breath-ability" and high resistance to moisture, it would be perfect for shoes.

I could not find the closed cell foam apart from EVA though.

Call up Saderma. Their website is godawful, but they might be able to do a phone order for you.
I am in Australia, so would need to find a local supplier. I can get various grades (full corrected to non corrected) of leather locally, just have not found that foam.

You HAVE to find it locally? If they ship international, is the price a deal breaker? They called it midsole foam when I was there if you do decide to call them up.

The last few days I haven't been able to get much done, mostly because I cut part of my finger off. After the initial nonstop pain stage, the only thing I could get back to work on was the pulse rifle. I haven't been updating, but I've gotten quite a bit done.

DSC03017.jpg

The electronics gave me a lot of trouble at first. The solder on the original switch broke off and I had to redo it, and go figure a cold heat soldering iron doesn't work at all, so I had to pick up a new one. I'm still not sure if the switch will stay in place with nothing but some super glue and hot glue holding it in place, but I'm very careful not to push inward at all when I turn it on and off. Because I'm going to be carrying it around on a sling and I also wanted all of the parts with holes through them to actually have the holes, I decided to build up the barrel and stock from more stable materials. The barrel is a 5/8" copper pipe set 5 inches into the shrouds and the stock will be a professionally waterjet cut piece of stainless steel, I'm still waiting on the quote for that piece. They should have no problem supporting the weight of the gun. As soon as I get the stock I can cut the butt plate and assemble the whole rifle. In the meantime I'm going to build a form for some styrene to make the barrel vents.

I've had to reassess what I'm capable of doing in the short time left before the con. But this is why I put off cutting up the Stompers. For the time being, I'm going to make ankle pieces that will be glued as seamlessly as possible to the tops of the shoes. The leather colors won't match and the patterns won't be accurate, which is pretty disappointing to me, but it's this or nothing. That process should be really manageable. I might even be able to do it in a day.

And I'm out. Between the paint issues on the PR, my regular metal work guy screwing me over on the stock, and a complete lack of time, I'm not going to finish this in time for DC. I really hope you xenomorph guys will attend again next year. I'm going to drop this until I can find a new metal worker and get a legitimate stock and barrel vents in hand, then I'll do it proper with no short cuts. Fully rebuilt Reeboks, accurate flight suit fabric, and a hybrid Spatcave/steel PR.

When I get back from DC I'll dig through what I took and post some of it. Mostly just painting progress, though. I didn't take any pictures while I was putting it together.

Yea, it was a difficult decision. But I don't like to half-ass things, and that's exactly what I was going to have to do with those Reeboks. Now I'll have time to do them right. (and hopefully make them more comfortable in the process, because wearing those things did lasting damage.)

OK, so today the shoes came in, and the trend of 85 degrees and up has continued, so I'm thinking the jacket's going to stay home. So I decided to throw this together really quickly. It's not perfectly accurate, but it gets the job done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/DSC02851.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/DSC02852.jpg

Hi,

First post, so hello to all :D. Just wanted to confirm that you made this? I can't find anything vaguely accurate and complete out there. Do you mind me asking what you used to make it?

Thanks.

Just some stuff from Jo-Ann's and a tac belt. If you'd like to buy it off me send me a PM. It'll be a long time before I get back to this costume.

Well, it's been years. I don't have any pictures handy, but I picked up an accurate metal set of barrel shrouds and rear stock for the pulse rifle, as well as two cans of Brown Bess paint and a Noble sling. The sling is way too short, seems to be designed for somebody under 5' 6" tall. I'll either track down a second one and stitch them together, or I'll replace the actual strap with that seat belt I posted a couple pages back. The problem with the rifle now is that I fully assembled it and goofed on the paint job, and the whole thing has to be stripped, except that I already installed the electronics. Stripping it will I guess require a lot of sanding. I also used gorilla glue to install a 5/8" copper pipe as the barrel, but it turns out that 5/8" is too big to fit through the barrel shroud. The pipe will never come out of the gun, so I'll most likely have to hack saw it off and drill out the inside to fit the new barrel. Drilling out the rear of the gun to insert the stock at least 4-5" will also be difficult. Would have been easy if the gun was still split down the middle.

Anyway, the reason I finally got started on this again is that I was able to track down a pair of these in my size for way less than the going rate. It was a huge investment, but I've wanted these things for years.

2016-06-03%2020.37.36_zpsowiaar40.jpg

I'm not sure how frequently I'll be working on this project, it's not a high priority, but I'll post whenever I make progress.

Anyway, the reason I finally got started on this again is that I was able to track down a pair of these in my size for way less than the going rate. It was a huge investment, but I've wanted these things for years.

I want a pair as well but... sigh... Congrats on getting a pair!

I'm really hoping the prices will go down over time so more people can get them. I didn't want to risk it and finally caved when I found them a few hundred dollars cheaper than usual.

I managed to track down the perfect fabric for the pants in the LA fashion district. It's a 65/35 cotton/poly blend just like commercial flight suits and it's the perfect bluish grey color. Here it is tucked into one of the shoes. Can't wait to make the pants out of this.

2016-08-18%2002.17.57_zps4kyj8wto.jpg

Re: Aliens: "Allen" Ripley costume

I managed to track down the perfect fabric for the pants in the LA fashion district. It's a 65/35 cotton/poly blend just like commercial flight suits and it's the perfect bluish grey color. Here it is tucked into one of the shoes. Can't wait to make the pants out of this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/2016-08-18 02.17.57_zps4kyj8wto.jpg

Jealous, I'm still hoping to find a pair... Will probably never manage to afford it *cries*

xD

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back