Prometheus (Post-release)

Vivek

Master Member
Prometheus is getting released today on Wednesday May 30 in some parts of Europe, UK is getting the release on June 1, while US and other parts of the world gets the movie release next week on June 8.

Though posting spoilers in this thread is fair game, due to the high anticipatory nature of this film we request members to continue using SPOILERS warning if not spoiler tags in midst of their postings in case they choose to reveal or discuss any major plot scenarios, please try implementing this till next weekend.

You can also continue discussing the movie in the previous Pre-release thread.

13924-prometheus-banner.jpg

Last edited:
I AM SO STOKED FOR THIS! And as Vivek has already said, if you're going to post spoilers, PLEASE use the spoiler tags! I'm planning on seeing this Saturday night with some friends, my expectations are incredibly high, but I'm confident SRS and his crew will deliver. Can't wait! :)

Re: Ridley Scott Prometheus: NOT the Alien Prequel Details

Well, the news isn't at all good for true Alien fans. Just read the Empire review and was VERY surprised by the average 3 stars they gave it after their considerable build up and support for the film. Go read it if you want though there are a few spoilers, but if you've been following this thread for months or watching all the trailers since Feb there are no shocks.
Reading between the lines in the reviews and there are a few in now that are english speaking (not translations) it seems to boil down to these points:

On the positive side it is a stunningly well designed film and the art and effects work are beyond question magnificent. Coupled with the effective use of 3D this makes it one of the most immersive and convincing sci fi films ever released that literally take you to another world. Everyone agrees on those points, it looks superb and Sir Ridley did a brilliant job of shooting it.
There are scenes of horrible mayhem , monsters and stomach churning events in it EVENTUALLY, and they are pretty graphic.
The acting honours seem to go to Fassbender for his android David, everyone is taken with his charcter and performance and his star is definitely rising.Rapace is well regarded in her role but with the inevitable comparissons to Ripley she's coming in second best, but then she IS up against a role changing icon of the genre so thats no surprise. At worse she holds her own.

And the negatives? They really seem to depend on how much of an Alien fan you are. Prometheus suffers mightily when compared to its predecessor (or is that progenitor?) and just how well the critic concerned knows and respects that film. For a new generation well used to MAINSTREAM big budget 3D films the feeling is they will not find too much to complain about, it is entertaining and VERY horrible in places.
However the main point that most agree on is that very,very few are buying into the "Chariots of the Gods" premise ( No chestbuster of a surprise there then, those theories were old and ancient when I was a boy!! ) and the story and script suffer badly because of it.So little is eventually explained and so unevenly that far tooooo much is left open ended (thank you ,Mr Lind-LOST, stick to writing for TV in the future please), the obvious feeling generated is that this prequel is all about a sequel!
For the die hards out there, of which I am most definitely one, most seem to feel this is NOT an Alien film at all ,more a big bucks reboot of the ideas cut from the original classic and thus taken in a VERY different style and direction well away from the original . Sir Ridley WAS NOT kidding at all when he said the beast is dead and predictably alot of us are not going to like that.
Seeing it tomorrow. Downgraded expectations to C+.

Re: Ridley Scott Prometheus: NOT the Alien Prequel Details

The acting honours seem to go to Fassbender for his android David, everyone is taken with his charcter and performance and his star is definitely rising.

I totally agree with that. David is the only GREAT thing in this film.

:love

Last edited:
I'm seeing it tomorrow but I have the awful feeling a great deal is going to be left unexplained with a shed-load of continuity gaps and timeline issues. I guess I'll just have to enjoy it as it is.

Blade Runner got horrible reviews when it was released.

Maybe there is more to Prometheus than just what you can get from one viewing.

Still at 89% on rottentomatoes.

I can't but feel a little empty post Prometheus. At least filled with questions. But go figur, I felt like that post Lost... (note to self, don't see anything touched by Lindelof)

It was visually great no doubt there. I really liked the Iceland scenery (am icelandic:))

Errrr, absolutely not. Actually, you'd be better off just never watching that movie. Ever.[/QUOTE]

exactly. i meant to get some perspective on promethius's quality.

I cant say that I care to much about reviews. Many of my fav films and games got bad reviews. Other times I cant stand films even if they had great reviews.

I read that there will be Prometheus 2... If thats true, then hopefully some of my questions will be answered there.

Maybe it needs a happy ending pasted in, and a speaker voice telling us what goes on, and then after a while ppl gets it and SRS can release a Directors Cut?

I cant say that I care to much about reviews. Many of my fav films and games got bad reviews. Other times I cant stand films even if they had great reviews.

I don't care for reviews either. I have my own oppinion on things. This time, however, I agree with many of the reviews.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back