Prometheus (Post-release)

But considering how often they use their secondary mouth to chomp BRAINS, you can't help but wonder if there's some zombie action going on... :lol
In which movies? The good ones or the bad?

Being that it is biomechanical... would it require food or electricity? Power always seems to be shorting out in the areas where they roam, so maybe they just plug in. :)

So....

I have a question I'm yet to see asked and it may or may not open up a can of worms...

What do the xenomorph eat? do they eat? Because i'm yet to see one eat something. They inpregnate us, capture us alive or even kill us, but never eat us.

So why dont they eat? Because they are a biological weapon designed to wipe out humans? A virus could do that. Why use the xenomorphs??

Is it because they create structures similar to that of the engineers? Can the engineers move right into a structure that has been made by xenomorphs.

So I wonder how long the xenomorphs live for. because they sure as hell dont eat anything.

In the original Alien didn't Riply find some empty storage containers? I probably ate what was in those.

Also being that it is a very different organism (silicon based?) it could be able to eat and ingest inorganic material to add to its mass

In the original Alien didn't Riply find some empty storage containers? I probably ate what was in those.

Also being that it is a very different organism (silicon based?) it could be able to eat and ingest inorganic material to add to its mass

That's always been the problem that I've had with a lot of monster movies, the monsters don't seem to ever eat anything or anybody, they just kill people for no apparent reason and never eat them.

Hehe. Just thinking back to all those behind the scenes videos dedicated to everyone in the cast and crew hailing Sir Ridley Scott as a genius.

So here is a question; at this point, Prometheus has done $113m domestic and $153m worldwide for a total of $267m. How does that bode towards a second movie? Is that considered good, bad, what?

So here is a question; at this point, Prometheus has done $113m domestic and $153m worldwide for a total of $267m. How does that bode towards a second movie? Is that considered good, bad, what?

Art, a second movie was in the cards form the get go. Dollars to donuts the deal was Ridley get's his creation myth film and then he gives Giler, Hill, and Fox their ALIEN prequel.

That's always been the problem that I've had with a lot of monster movies, the monsters don't seem to ever eat anything or anybody, they just kill people for no apparent reason and never eat them.

Reasons:
The xeno in Alien was planned to use the humans as egg material, as seen in the DC.
In Aliens and Alien 4 the xenos use humans as hosts ("The signals are weak, but they arent dead").
In Alien 3 the xeno protects itself or Ripley, carrying a queen.

They are Biomechanical, we dont know what they need to live.

Edit: It was a long time since watching Alien 3, but dont we see it eating a dead prisoner in the tunnels?

Last edited:

Art, a second movie was in the cards form the get go. Dollars to donuts the deal was Ridley get's his creation myth film and then he gives Giler, Hill, and Fox their ALIEN prequel.

Yeah, but as I've pointed out several times, that deal will be dependant on the take, which is what Art's asking. Is it enough? I think with DVDs added in...maybe? It's no Dark Knight, sadly. Heck, in proportion to its budget, it's no District 9.

It's done just over 2x budget, but I'm still sceptical the published budget is really as low as $130m. A sequel seems possible, but I'm guessing it is far from a no-brainer.

Carson Dyle, any thoughts?

Yeah and I am suggesting the take, along with critical reviews and the fact that it's an R rated sic-fi movie doing strong summer business, is sufficient to warrant a sequel. Especially if he starts to bring this more towards ALIEN. Like I said several times, get read for more face huggers and chestbursters.

(No matter how much time we spend arguing over the qualities of the Star Wars Prequels or JJ Trek, it doesn't actually make them better or worse movies.)

True, our debating doesn't actually change a film, but it can significantly change the level of one's appreciation for a film if you have an open mind to such things. I already liked Prometheus, but some of the thoughts and possibilities thrown out here have made me appreciate it far more than I did when I walked out of the theater. For me, this film is a success because it left so many possibilities open to different interpretations, and reading some of those different interpretations here has been a lot of fun and have helped sparked new thoughts of my own. Not all films do that and many that intentionally try to do it, do it poorly. Love it or hate it, for many Prometheus has been extremely successful at sparking the imagination.

It's implied that the aliens eat, it's just something we never see.

One thing that bugs me about it is how quickly the creatures grow (including the one in Prometheus) very quickly, apparently without eating. In order for a creature to grow in physical size and weight, they must consume something at least equal to that weight that was gained (and generally much, much more). Take the squidhugger for example.. it went from something weighing maybe four or five pounds to several hundred pounds. You can't simply pull that mass out of the ether.. it has to come from somewhere.

In most of the films, this actually gets a pass, usually in the form of the novels or deleted scenes or something. In the first film, it was eating from the ship's stores. In the second, they were eating livestock and stored food. In the third, presumably bugs or other small indigenous life. In the fourth, it's probably safe to assume that the scientists were feeding them. But was there really enough biological material in that medical room on the Prometheus escape pod to feed it? It seemed contained there, unlikely that it got into the food storage.

Just a thought. On the surface, it pretty much matches all the other films, creatures growing very large entirely on their own, it's only when you stop to think about it that you start scratching your head. That, and I just got up and have really bad bed head.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back