Prometheus (Post-release)

...Not to your liking? Then take your frustrations and get out there and make something that is, or simply just don't see the film...
This is a review thread... or simply don't read it?

Seems to be a little bit of fanboyism creeping in here. 'WE' who have seen it are entitled to our opinions and I don't think there's any 'whining' going on; just honest feeling and critique.

I didn't like it, but not because it wasn't Alien. In fact, I disliked the inclusion of the "xeno-space jokey-morph" because it felt like a gimmick to just throw something Alien in there that wasn't needed.

I have problems with the film because of the characters and story - a problem I have with many other movies and it's usually not because it's not similar to this or similar to that... it's because it just lacks in those areas of the storytelling. In general I was pleased with where it departed from being like Alien and absolutely didn't think it needed a xenomorph or even a physical type monster like the xenomorph in there to be a good prequel to Alien.

And if you haven't seen the movie, why are you in here reading spoilers by and complain about those who actually have? Makes very little sense to me.

Jathoris, this is a post-release thread to discuss our varying opinions after watching the film. It's not a "Don't dare post here unless you have something nice to say" thread. Those who haven't seen the film yet should probably avoid this kind of review and analysis if they want to stay spoiler free.

It's a bit like peeking at your presents before Christmas day and finding out you aren't getting what you wanted. Best not to look at all.

For the record, I didn't expect Prometheus to be 'Alien' nor did I have any preconceived notion of disliking it before I went in to the cinema. I just wanted a great sic-fi film. I didn't get that. It wasn't crap but it wasn't great either. I went with 3 other people and we all felt the same way.

However, you might LOVE it. It's all subjective.

Jathoris, this is a post-release thread to discuss our varying opinions after watching the film. It's not a "Don't dare post here unless you have something nice to say" thread. Those who haven't seen the film yet should probably avoid this kind of review and analysis if they want to stay spoiler free.

It's a bit like peeking at your presents before Christmas day and finding out you aren't getting what you wanted. Best not to look at all.

For the record, I didn't expect Prometheus to be 'Alien' nor did I have any preconceived notion of disliking it before I went in to the cinema. I just wanted a great sic-fi film. I didn't get that. It wasn't crap but it wasn't great either. I went with 3 other people and we all felt the same way.

However, you might LOVE it. It's all subjective.

Oh no I agree with that entirely. Perhaps this should've been posted on the other thread now I think about it.:facepalm I'm okay with people hating it or loving it. Doesn't matter to me and this being a post-release thread, that's where it 'does' belong. There are some people who are just posting and spewing their dislikes other than here. Yes, it IS a case if you don't want to know, don't click or read and it's entirely appropriate here, I'm just wishing it would stay in here is all.

I didn't like The Mummy or Broken Arrow very much, I dont remember them being poor prequels to Alien at the time of viewing.

I f you went to see Prometheus and the soundtrack was entirely created from SPice Girls tunes I think you may view the opinion that it spoilt the film?

The score for the film was an aspect of its loss of tension be it a prequel a stand alone movie or a big magic book with real people in it.

There seems to be a common idea that if you dont like the movie its because its not Alien all over again,. Tut tut, to think we may have adult opinions about what we enjoy in a movie like story telling and tension and possibly class?

Its a great film and most likely I will go see it again and buy the Blu Ray and I'm glad it was made and I'm glad Ridley Scott made it. ITs a shame that it wasn't better as the subject deserve's the best you can get as its spurned from one of the most Iconic and Loved Movies of all time in my opinion.

Lets not get carried away with trying to make ourselves feel better by trashing opinion's, you will see it soon and have your opinion and thats great to.

Yes, that's the nature of the beast unfortunately. The more militant critics tend to have very strong opinions on internet forums.

But folks who haven't seen it yet shouldn't let anyone else's opinion, mine included, be rammed down their throats as gospel, go see it and make your own mind up.

But folks who haven't seen it yet shouldn't let anyone else's opinion, mine included, be rammed down their throats as gospel, go see it and make your own mind up.
Best advice ever.

My opinion is just that: my opinion. We are all different and like and appreciate different things.

So, should we keep using spoiler tags in this thread? Decided to do it in this post, just in case.

Thing is. We are dealing with religion and creation in this movie... and for some reason... there is just no reaction to either of those topics within the movie, except for the references to Shaw's father's cross and David insinuating that her wanting the cross means she believes. It just doesn't indicate that. That just isn't the only reason she would want and wear that cross... so the conclusion David makes is faulty.

There is just no drama regarding what they find - and the first scene in the movie sorta kills all the mystery about it, so it just becomes such a bland, almost numb experience they are going through, because we already have the answer even before we go on the journey, which means... what the hell is the whole movie's point? It's like learning the big mystery at the end of a story right up front... then you don't really feel any suspense or interest in all the hoops they have to jump and corners they have to turn to get to the answer at the end... you just feel bored. Sure... it could be made interesting through the character interactions and playing various beliefs and theories up against each other, but there is just none of that at all... it's like... nothing really matters about the questions raised and the answers they do find or the answers they don't. There's just no drive for any of the characters to really be there or strive to, no real drama and sadly... no mystery.

In all honesty... it would have been better if the first scene was removed, the head was found a lot later in the story - or at least generated some debate or frustrations, doubts, fears, even anger between the characters and hearing some theories - and the reveal of the space jockey only seen towards the end, with him taking the mask off there, instead of seeing them so many times earlier. Make the fact that they have human looking faces a surprise and mystery.

I don't know. I was rather looking forward to seeing some of the ideas brought to screen that Ridley Scott talked about on the commentaries on Alien and in interviews. Sure... it's there, but it just feel like such a pointless movie, and I really find that to be a shame. In all honesty... it just feels like it's too short, too cramped, too much happening too soon, and the emphasis was laid on the visuals rather than on the characters and their reactions to what they were seeing and learning.

So, should we keep using spoiler tags in this thread? Decided to do it in this post, just in case.
Thanks. I would request using it for major plot revealing spoilers until next week or at least precede those sentences with the word SPOILERS as a warning.

I understand that it can become quite redundant when the whole purpose of this thread to discuss the movie in detail after watching it. But many who haven't watched the movie yet would still be tempted to see the on-going discussion here, to get an idea of the consensus towards the movie by other RPF members.

You type [ followed by 'spoiler' then ]. To end the spoiler, you type the same thing but with / after [.

Edit: d'oh, much better description, Vivek.

I'll be making my mind up when the film opens in a week, but I've been expecting from day one that the bulk of the value for me was going to be art direction and buildup. I've had a great time and will continue to rate Prometheus (campaign) at least 9/10. Prometheus (movie) wasn't the main game for me. :lol

Eh, okay, so really I'm hoping I'll be in Birdie's camp, and will be bitching my head off if it turns out I can't be, same as everyone else. :unsure

I guess the question raised by the movie is not whether the space jockeys created all life on Earth - that's pretty much a given with the first scene. It's more the question of why! Seeing as they make weapons of mass destruction/extinction (xenomorph), are we just a bio-warfare experiment that's more controllable or did they deem we were too uncontrollable, at which point they created the xenomorph weapon and likely wanted to use them to wipe us out? But it back-fired as that weapon turned out to be too uncontrollable too?

Or... did they create us because they searched the galaxy, found no other intelligent life and wanting a chess sparring partner in philosophical and ethical and whatever debates?

Both are just rather silly considering the time scales involved in the evolutionary process to get from the creation to where we stand in the future where we interpret the message and travel to the moon where the bio-weapons are.

If there is a second movie... hopefully that will explain the absolute idiocy in why they created us and let us evolve on our own, with only a few visits every thousands years to civilizations that had nothing to do with each other to point us to their weapons storage moon.

People are gonna hate me with this Star Wars analogy. But everyone wanted to know about Boba Fett because he was cool and mysterious. Then when the prequels came... his mystery wasn't really revealed, it was just transferred to Jango, who he's just a direct clone of... so... the mystery remains of who he is and where he comes from and all the questions ever raised about Boba Fett. Nothing is revealed... it's just transferred to the "father". Just like the question in this one: "who created us and why" just gets transferred from us to the Space Jockeys. Sure, they created us, but why, but who created them and why? Nothing is revealed or concluded or explained... there is no truth at the end of the quest... just a transferal of the original question. Will that be on-going when it is shown who created the Space Jockeys... or what?

I did not understand the meaning of the opening scene ...
Why did the man drink the stuff in the jar?

Was he trying to commit suicide, or drink something that would alter himself into something weird, or was he just about to drink a cup of "space jockey coffee" that unknownst to him had be laced with something?

Edit: Something weird happened with my post causing half of the content to be missing, including the ending spoiler tag. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
I did not understand the meaning of the opening scene ...
Why did the man drink the stuff in the jar?

Was he trying to commit suicide, or drink something that would alter himself into some
Check out Too Much Garlic's last post on page 3, If you cant get the jist from that, then I dont know :confused

HTH :)

Well, there's talk that this is the first of a trilogy so I guess a jar jar had to be mentioned at somepoint.

Huge,huge spoilers!!!! Possibly?

In answer to your question (and these aren't written down for me) my emotional response, having watched the film, is that I haven't a damn clue. The inference is that he destroyed his body to release his cellular DNA into Earths seas to start all life here. But as that was supposed to be billions of years ago I can't quite see it.Its a longtime for the others to be doing nothing I guess. Cup of Grue anyone?
The other possiblity is that his broken down DNA recombines with the simple single celled creatures all ready here to make a more complex multicellular form of life that eventually gave rise to us. But again, once you've "destroy" a chain of DNA as you see in the film it doesn't recombine nor pass on its structural information, it just becomes a mess of disassociated bases. What you saw here was a very bad interpretation of basic biology that made no sense at all.
Given the film title I would guess that as he appears to be abandoned on the Earth by the flying saucer, he did something very bad indeed and was being punished. That he ultimately chooses to sacrifice himself to kick start life again so the final result is that our species is created (and remember here its human beings that have end up looking like mini-me engineer replicas gone wrong, which may account for why the other had a negative reaction when it saw us) that may link it to the myth eventually but its a stretch. Arguably its what happens at the very end of the film that is more like the Prometheus story. But its all a huge muddle.This is typical Lindelof. It may have worked for a while in an episodic TV series like LOST but eventually people got very fed up with it.
And thats what happened time and again throughout the film. For a "thought provoking epic sci fi movie" I couldn't pick up any consistent thread in the story which explained what it all was supposed to be about, no comfortable structure to link it all together. And the longer that went on the more frustrating it got. For a while after seeing it I thought Sir Ridley was deliberately trying to say "there are no answers to life just more questions" but by then I emptied the bottle and sober up in the morning.
But then basic and obvious cause and effect was continually ignored by everyone in the story anyway. The man linked to the mapping probes runs away, GETS LOST then returns to the very place he ran away from in the first place, despite everyones position being marked on the map on the Prometheus and the continual radio/ video contact to the ship. A massive storm of deadly silica dust sandblasts several crew members ,whose suits and glass helmets don't appear to have a mark or speck of dust on them afterward. I could go on and on pointing out these common sense inconsistencies that just kept jerking me out of the film because you just could not ignore them whilst trying to make sense of what was supposed to be a complicated story.
It felt so bloody amateurish right to the very last frame and I was NOT expecting that from a Ridley Scott film. He painted a great picture with all the visual and technical flair you'd expect of him but what it was about,and what it attempted to explain in the end , well thats your guess as good as mine. To vague for my tastes .Go see it again and try to decide for yourself. But perhaps thats the idea.

Last edited:
Saw it yesterday... Well, not a great movie imho... I dont like 3D, I was very disapointed by how it was directed, the visual (the prometheus, the alien), the poor story and more...
Noomi Rapace was good though.

Right no big posts from me, i'm just back from watching it in 3D with DBOX - And i did like it, didn't love it, but yes definitely a decent movie.

Some meh moments and some yeah moments, overall and stepping back (not comparing it to Alien) it's a pretty good watch!

Incidently i thought the 3d was really good, there were a load of moments where i felt it had enhanced the overall look of the movie.

EDIT** - Slept on it and decided this morning, that it is VERY good, more i think on it, the more i liked it!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back