Prometheus (Post-release)

All I am saying is that Blade Runner was not well received and garnered the same criticisms, excellent world building but dull characters.
When I watch blade runner, I see the deepest characters ever. Everything isn't spelled out for you. Much of the glory of Blade Runner is internalized.
So I am holding out hope that when I see this movie, I will appreciate more than the average movie goer.

When I watch blade runner, I see the deepest characters ever. Everything isn't spelled out for you. Much of the glory of Blade Runner is internalized.

I 100% agree with you on this point (I mean, the fact that everything isn't spelled) and that's why I also love CHILDREN OF MEN a lot ! (and consider it "the BR of the our times")

So I am holding out hope that when I see this movie, I will appreciate more than the average movie goer.

IMHO the film was made for the average movie goer, just like AVATAR... I wonder now that I think about it if the main caracters were not more interesting in this one than in PROMETHEUS where, with the notable exception of David (again, the first minutes where we meet him are awesome), all the caracters act like meat puppets in the hands of the writer and director.
If at least these puppets would have walked in intriguing sets, but alas I was also disappointed by the art direction of the film, it doesn't break new ground at all like Sir Rid's previous SciFi films did by the time of their initial release.

Last edited:
Now, I don't speak for anyone but myself... there's tons of instances where stuff "everybody" seems to like doesn't do it for me and vice versa. I actually expect a lot of people to like and even love this.

I will say I enjoyed it far more than Alien 3, Alien 4 and AVP 1 & 2 put together. It's by no means better than the original Alien or Aliens but it's good.

It leaves off in an interesting place to be sure and as I was walking out of the theater, I was telling my wife a sequel could do some really cool stuff.

But I've been trying to rationalize the mythology presented and it just has too much of what I didn't like about Lost, the X-Files and the Matrix sequels to name a few.

To me, the perfect narrative balance is something like the original Matrix or even Dark City where there's a lot that's unexplained but not in a way that leaves me confused and unsatisfied which is kind of how I felt after Prometheus. Clearly there are going to be a lot of folks that aren't bothered by the same stuff that bothers me which is cool by me.

Folks are often interested to hear opposing viewpoints prior to seeing movies and that's the only spirit I offer up my opinion in.

When I left the theater after seeing the Matrix, Memento and the Sixth Sense, I had that feeling of "wow, what did I just see?" I think I was hoping to feel that way with this but it didn't happen so maybe I had particular expectations. Dunno. I'm curious to see what the masses make of it when it opens.

Prometheus only just scraped a 3 out of 5. Space meh. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

I had zero empathy for any of the characters, something Sir Ridley needs to work on I think. Don't think I'll ever be inspired to watch this again.

This thread makes me so sad... I had so much hope for this film :confused

Currently at 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, 9 out of 10 on IMDB. Might wanna give it a chance yourself before writing it off. I'm actually astonished at the flak it's getting here, but then I very rarely agree with the consensus on movies on the RPF, since all the good reviews here for Rob Zombie's Halloween & Battle LA :lol

I just came home after seeing the midnight screening.

Fassbender as David the android and his reflections on existence was the best part of the movie.

The rest did not really impress me. There were a few secrets that people kept and revealed later, but nothing that the audience could not see coming from a mile away.
Bog standard, and I even got a Michael Bay vibe there for a second.

The c-section scene did not sell it for me.

Let me tell you, Shaw would have been in a different world of pain than it looked like she had.
The type of anaesthetic that is used for c-sections is epidural or spinal - not just some spray over the skin. I have had abdominal surgery and because of a faulty epidural valve, I actually woke up without anaesthesia, so I know what it is like.

Also, you can't just staple up the belly and get up. The uterus would have to be sutured. Then there are a few other layers that have to be stitched up before stapling the skin. After that, even with proper anaesthesia, your belly is very sore, and moving around can be a real chore. You have to be careful or you will get a hernia. These are not things that will change even with 80 years of medical advances.

Running, climbing and carrying around android heads? ... forget about it. Maybe if they had waited a month before returning to the craft ...

... and by the way, 3D is crap. I wish that there had been a proper 2D screening, but I have not seen that there would be any in my town.

i totally agree with your spoiler comment, it was probably the biggest part in the film that made me quite angry. we are not five years old but that part was written for them.

also agree on the 3d, totally wasted my money. i was actually wishing the credits would appear so i could get the hell out.

all in all it would make good throw away sci-fi TV

I'm done with 3D. The only parts that worked were the various monitor screens tracking around inside the temple and the Engineer navigation sequence. Everything else looked washed out or cheap.

Going to see it again in 2D tomorrow, if I can fight off the flu long enough.

Will be interested to see whether the hating here continues with the US release.

I thought Mark Kermode's review was spot on Prometheus reviewed by Mark Kermode - YouTube

Where does the need come from for people to keep restating their dislike for something? You hated the movie, you're done.

Go talk about something you enjoyed if you can't say anything more enlightening than 'It was crap' over and over.

I thought Mark Kermode's review was spot on Prometheus reviewed by Mark Kermode - YouTube

A good & fair review IMO (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

I cant wait to see the film again tbh, The more I think about the film the more I like it :)

Edit: Oh & I enjoyed the 3D :thumbsup

I also believe that this is a "stand alone" film that's set in the Alien universe. I personally dont see the point in comparing it to any other film, IMO its nothing like any one other particular film.

One little thing thats caught my attention is that there are similarities in the early stages of Prometheus & Dan O'Bannon's original script for Alien.

Last edited:
I’m trying. I’m trying really hard to find something that I really ,really loved about Prometheus apart from the visuals. But I can’t lie. It’s a bit of a disappointment, at least at story level.
By the end the first hour I was getting slightly bored and irritated, mainly by the relentless uninspiring star trek like music that managed to drone in and flatten every thrilling or interesting scene (of which there were more than a few) in its unwavering pitch and score.
But its all the questions raised in the story that not a single person attempts to answer ,even when they make the most amazingly unlikely discoveries that grates the most. Nobody raises an eyebrow . No, there is more excitement and debate about putting up a bloody Christmas tree that gets put up on the snooker table, I kid thee not.
Because of this and the clumsy dialogue I found I did not care one jot about the outcome of most of the crew who were so obviously generically cast that their entire life span could be foretold by a couple of their opening lines and their hair cuts. In the end the only really heroic character was the Captain and the only very interesting person was David and he’s “a ******** robot!” Shaw existed as a character to be done unto in the most horrible of predictable ways. And I found the lack of any explanation for her faith (which was supposed to be so fundemental to her person) disturbing but given the miracle speed at which she recovers from major surgery perhaps she had some good old Spacejockey DNA in there instead. Perhaps all those tiny transcripters are working over time to heal her. Thats just my guess.
I also got fed up by all the incredibly stupid things the crew of this trillion dollar funded scientific expedition and study of the most fantastic discoveries mankind will ever make did. Events, sudden reveals ,horrific surprises and dangerous threats just seemed to tumble passed them without a seemingly sensible reaction or remark. Most people run away from snakes or snake like aliens, they do not make cooing noises at them like they were a puppy. They each seemed to deserve what fate the story inevitably dished up to them as predictably as a Sunday roast.
The film could not decide what it wanted to be, either a prequel to Alien or a stand alone story by itself and as such managed to do neither well by the end, it just seemed to leap frog at pace from one obviously scripted scene to the next without pause for deliberation. There wern't many surprises here. The screenplay seems to suffer badly from the botched surgery wrought on Jon Spaiths “Alien Prequel” story treatment by Lindelofs (the LOST) “Not a Prequel” rewrite and the frankly disappointing scene stitched on the end made me want to weep because it showed exactly how absolutely little it owed to its magnificent parentage in the end.
I really cannot say more without revealing what few spoilers are left to those that have not seen it nor do I really want to. Yes it looked fantastically good , the designs and shots are breathtaking at times but it’s a beautiful eggshell thin covering that fails to paper over the fundamentally flaws and plot holes that run throughout this film. It was just average sci fi for me, nothing that I've not really seen before and I'd give it a grudging 7/10, purely for design and set pieces. The best part was that one minute trailer back in the beginning of the year.I'm somewhat disappointed that it failed to deliver by so much on its promises today. As a standalone film its does not very successfully explian anything well enough for me to grip the story by the frankly massive open ended voice over. I felt more than a little cheated.
Sir Ridley I hate to say it but this film missed being either a great science fiction and is only really a moderately good film by your previous standards. but nearly all the blame lies for that in the weaknesses of the story as I see it.

Last edited:
Just seen it. HHHHMMMMM here as some thoughts

Music - too much of it, its like listening to an Indianna or Star Trek movie at times...it breaks the tension...it did not need it. Obviously the composer was paid by the note and as Salieri says of Mozarts work " Too many notes " Of course unlike the movie, Salieri was completely wrong.
Characters - Thin when compared with Alien and therefore hard to buy into or to root for.
Good acting from Fassbender, Rapace but why Guy Pierce? He did not look realistic as an old man...why not just get an old man to act it????
No real scares
Very little tension ( maybe that was because I had not bought into the waffer thin characters or the music got in the way)
The rapace medical scene was just daft
Too much CGI and not enough physical modelling
The movie was often stunning to watch and looked beautiful with ship interior nods to Ron Cobbs Alien work, Ridley has such an eye ( two actually ) Nod also to Foss' designs for the derelict in the forward section of the Promethius ship ( it might be tenuous but it made me think of his design )
Watched it in proper 2D ( seeing it next week in 3D....not a fan of 3D but as an exercise it will be interesting to see if it adds anything. I can see it working well on the sweeping vista shots )
I would like to thank Ridley for perpetuating the old gag about running away from something rather than just stepping to the side so it does not hit you LOl.
Dialogue lacked the authenticity of the original movie. Its one of those movies where people say things in a way that real people would not.

The ending...well less said really....bit daft again but obviously opens up the cash cow for sequels.

Overall....competent but slightly sterile. The central theme is one well trodden and they trod all over it.

I think a Giger alien would have really spiced things up, but obviously that would not fit the story. Plus of course the requisit number of different hosts have not been achieved yet to present us with the giger alien.

6/10.
or in exam talk
C+ Could try harder.

Sorry Ridley.....

You are still a hero though

But Please Ridley, no Blade Runner 2.

Sadly disappointed in Prometheus. I really wanted to like it.

Good visuals but muddled story and weak characterisation begatting no empathy for the protagonists.

Ridley, 6/10 for effort but must try harder.

Good lord people. I think the let-down is entirely on us. My little rant isn't exactly all about Prometheus exactly, but more on us as patrons and fans. As far as this film goes, I swear some people decided they weren't going to like it long before they even saw it. Everything from- the music sucks, or this character reads lines funny.. I don't like the look of this blah blah.. Everything pre-release was just snibbits here and there yet people want to judge it all by that, or now, compare it to something that we were told numerous times of what the film would not be. It's no wonder that some of you went in thinking this/that. I think that WE, the moviegoers and fans, and some of us completelyoveranalanalyzingmustbecanonorhellandhighwaterovercriticaluberfans, put unrealistic expectations on films and believed it should be catered to our every-single thought and desires and then get ourselves in a bunch when it doesn't meet our every-single expectation. I think WE are mainly to blame. Like it, Love it, or hate it, whatever. You absolutely have the right to your opinions and yes, they will be respected as such... Just please remember to be respectful to others. I find the one sided-repetitive whining borderline annoying especially when other areas of the world haven't had the oppotunity to see this movie yet and I wouldn't have posted it on this thread but it's starting to bleed into other areas of the site. We get the whole consensus of "waaah!!! :angry It wasn't Alien!!! ergo it's poo-poo" (okay :confused)that's practically flooding things, but that's it? Really folks? There's many things going on in this film and there are plenty of people who have absolutely loved this film. Scott created that world he can do whatever he wants. Not to your liking? Then take your frustrations and get out there and make something that is, or simply just don't see the film... Just please don't dismay others who are still excited and anticipating the film. The reviews aren't exactly spoilers in the traditional sense of the word, let's just not taint the viewers opinions who haven't see it yet or just keep it in this thread (please)?. Can't please everyone no matter how hard we try but the debbie downers are serioulsy starting to mess with our Zen thing. ;)

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back