Prometheus (Post-release)

Just got back (2.48 AM)

Absolutely loved it!

Didn't care for the 3D much, otherwise, apart from the somewhat pat 'sequel' ending and the predictable Weyland subplot, it was pretty much everything I was hoping for, from design, through acting, effects and story.

I guess your mileage will vary, depending on your preconceptions of whether there should be an Alien prequel, and the 'divergences' from the source material.

I guess the 'chariots of the gods' stuff will bother some folk, I'm not one of them. Hope to go again this weekend, if I can find it in 2D.

as i mentioned in the other thread i would give it six out of ten. if your expecting greatness you won't be happy.

Re: Ridley Scott Prometheus: NOT the Alien Prequel Details

I've seen it, just got home. I dont know how to add spoiler tags to wont add spoilers.

1st thing, for me was my first film at an Imax, I hate 3D but this was something special and then some, it blew me away and is def one of the best CInema experiences you could have. By half way through I had forgot it was in 3D, normally by this point I want to pull my eyes out or cry....GO SEE IT AT AN IMAX

The Film

Honest opinion, lower your expectations a bit, when the film started a sold out audience of Scifi and Alien and Movie lovers gave a cheer and big appreciation for what we where about to see, when it ended 5 or so people started to clap but it didn't catch on and died down pretty quick.
This doesn't mean its crap cos its not but I and a lot of the audience kinda felt a bit Hmmmmm....Hmmmmmmm...Hm

The worst mistake you can do is watch all the viral, trailers and spoilers as its been mentioned before they are almost all big plot sequences and theres not much else to it aside from how they connect and why.

IT could've been a lot better, I thought but at the same time I didn't blink for 2 hours and loved every bit of it. I had spoiled for my self though. It def lacked tension towards the end but the build up to the the end has plenty of things that make you want to know more.

I didn't care about anyone in the film aside form David, Fastbender's movie through and through.

The creatures's ?????? Did I miss something, the alleged 4 stages of the final thingy WHERE????

The tie in to Alien/DNA part....Hmmmmmmm not needed or should've been done better???? A lot better?

It doesn't need to be connected to Alien, it really doesn't.

There's def some Blimp nods in there from Blade Runner if you look closely

All in all its the Avengers summer so far, Prometheus is a great film but just doesn't grab you by the B alls. It lacks Event Horizon Darkness and the tension of Alien.

We have been spun a lot of yarns in the promo and hype for this film.

Summary:
Make the effort to go see it in an Imax and yes see it in 3D
If your a spoiler addict then thats exactly what you've done, and screw Fox for putting so much in the trailers, my mate said " the Trailer was better than the film" I kinda know what he meant by that.

Roll on TDKR

I just came home after seeing the midnight screening.

Fassbender as David the android and his reflections on existence was the best part of the movie.

The rest did not really impress me. There were a few secrets that people kept and revealed later, but nothing that the audience could not see coming from a mile away.
Bog standard, and I even got a Michael Bay vibe there for a second.

The c-section scene did not sell it for me.

Let me tell you, Shaw would have been in a different world of pain than it looked like she had.
The type of anaesthetic that is used for c-sections is epidural or spinal - not just some spray over the skin. I have had abdominal surgery and because of a faulty epidural valve, I actually woke up without anaesthesia, so I know what it is like.

Also, you can't just staple up the belly and get up. The uterus would have to be sutured. Then there are a few other layers that have to be stitched up before stapling the skin. After that, even with proper anaesthesia, your belly is very sore, and moving around can be a real chore. You have to be careful or you will get a hernia. These are not things that will change even with 80 years of medical advances.

Running, climbing and carrying around android heads? ... forget about it. Maybe if they had waited a month before returning to the craft ...

... and by the way, 3D is crap. I wish that there had been a proper 2D screening, but I have not seen that there would be any in my town.

Last edited:
I can't wait to see it. Although right away when I saw the first trailer and you see the human face sculpture, I had a feeling they would get into some Erich von Daniken type theme how humans are sought out somehow, and some alien race would actually dwell on us as a species. Anyway, I'm just looking for a thrill, I have no doubt it will satisfy on some levels.

Saw it tonight as well... It was great as far as the design goes and while I don't care for 3D, it seemed reasonably well done.

It's got it's moments where it shines... The acting was good but the script... Ugh. Lindeloff is NOT a good writer in my humble opinion. For me there's simply too many "WTH" moments that completely pulled me out of the movie. Stuff where common sense would dictate something entirely different. Sorry for being vague. I'm trying to avoid any spoilers in this part.

Despite the gripes I'm posting under the spoiler tag, it IS a fun movie and will likely be worth checking out for fans. You're mileage will DEFINITELY vary.

Here's what bugged me... They've got a trillion dollar mission being sent to another galaxy with Weyland himself onboard in stasis, the ship has no armaments, is captained and crewed by a bunch of the DUMBEST people I've ever seen, going to a world where they expect to find the "Engineers" and not a single one of them has any common sense about exposing themselves to alien pathogens or who knows what else.

The scientists all pop their helmets off at the first sign of breathable air, nobody seems to mind the android pushing every button he finds, the supposed biologist keeps poking at the alien cobra looking thing... It just goes on and on. I couldn't stop thinking "how did Weyland make his fortune hiring people like this? On a mission like this, wouldn't they send people who were good AND disciplined - people capable of following orders or at least having some common sense? Like don't touch everything you see until you have an idea if it's safe FIRST." Maybe I'm being harsh but it just KEPT happening.

The alien stuff is just confusing and it leaves a ton of things unanswered IMHO on top of all the narrative problems that I lay entirely at Lindeloff's feet. I don't mind walking out of the theater not knowing every answer but I don't like walking out feeling confused. The few revelations were just tossed in suppositions for that matter although the possibilities for a sequel are interesting. I did like the ending.

Saw it yesterday and I agree with the spoiler comments above. The effects were solid, but the story and the characters were not.

Major spoilers below: don't open unless you've seen the film.

There are just so many idiotic moments and characters doing moronic things... it just baffles me what the hell such idiots are doing on a space voyage.

They don't know what they'll find... so the "no guns" was rather silly, but... felt true to the Swan character. However, Charlize Theron's character had just pointed out to the two scientists that she was in charge of the mission and they were just tagging along, so why Swan has ANY leverage over the decision to bring weapons completely contradicts the point of the previous scene. To add tension between characters, Swan should have been overruled and guns brought with them inside... though should have proved to be of no to little use or counterproductive - adds drama.

David, the android, was too out there. Everybody raves about the performance, sure, it was great, but the writing and the character was just... way too weird with what he did. So his mission is to save his "father", yet, on multiple occasions he does things that could directly put everybody, including his "father" in jeopardy. Tapping the wall - who knows what that'd activate, potentially endangering the mission, and thus endangering his "father's" chance of what he wanted. Bringing the pod back into Prometheus, infecting one of the scientists, who then infects the other... again, seeing as he doesn't know what he unleashes... bringing that back onto the ship endangers his mission regarding his "father".

Why was it meant to be a secret that Weyland was on board the ship? It never felt like it was any big deal and rather stupid to keep secret or the fact that he was Charlize Theron's father... never felt like it mattered.

As mentioned in the earlier post. First sign of breathable air and the stupid scientist pops off the helmet. Anyone going to a foreign place knows about foreign contaminants: not just visible ones, but bacteria and virus and in this case chemical and biological warfare - not to mention that THEY themselves are contaminating a foreign place with their breath and germs and such. The security officer on Prometheus should be fired for allowing them to take off their helmets and shouldn't have allowed any of them back onto Prometheus, as they are moronic idiots endangering the safety of everybody on board with their stunt.

And... the weird geologist who mapped the silo and knew where they were supposed to go... got lost?

And the flamethrower worked just fine in the atmosphere that would kill the flame immediately.

So, the WHITE space jockey's created all life on Earth. Our DNA matches theirs... except... it's seen in the first scene that whatever he drinks dissolves and breaks up his DNA and life starts from the scraps. But... anyone building something from scraps without a plan knows that there's basically no chance in hell of getting the same DNA through billion years of evolution to what the original was, through the use of dissolved fragments. They made us, visited us with several thousand years apart, inviting us to their weapons manufacturing moon by showing the star pattern that would only work when we'd reach space faring capabilities... and they invited us purely to wipe us out. Where the **** is the logic in that?

And what did Swan eat on the space flight at the end... and she couldn't go in stasis as she couldn't trust the android to not just go back to Earth, as was his plan - he's done nothing but try to kill her and everybody else for no real reason... so there really isn't any reason for her to trust him. And the space jockey just tried to kill her and the species was planning to destroy their creation on Earth... and she's still flying to their home... what does she expect to find there other than a bullet through the brain.

Things were just revealed way too fast... without any real tension or drama... and there's no real build-up where you feel afraid of the characters, and the characters do some remarkably idiotic things and you never really care about them to begin with. And I didn't care about the space jockeys... they felt rather... well... idiotic as well.

Saw it yesterday and I agree with the spoiler comments above. The effects were solid, but the story and the characters were not.

Major spoilers below: don't open unless you've seen the film.

There are just so many idiotic moments and characters doing moronic things... it just baffles me what the hell such idiots are doing on a space voyage.

They don't know what they'll find... so the "no guns" was rather silly, but... felt true to the Swan character. However, Charlize Theron's character had just pointed out to the two scientists that she was in charge of the mission and they were just tagging along, so why Swan has ANY leverage over the decision to bring weapons completely contradicts the point of the previous scene. To add tension between characters, Swan should have been overruled and guns brought with them inside... though should have proved to be of no to little use or counterproductive - adds drama.

David, the android, was too out there. Everybody raves about the performance, sure, it was great, but the writing and the character was just... way too weird with what he did. So his mission is to save his "father", yet, on multiple occasions he does things that could directly put everybody, including his "father" in jeopardy. Tapping the wall - who knows what that'd activate, potentially endangering the mission, and thus endangering his "father's" chance of what he wanted. Bringing the pod back into Prometheus, infecting one of the scientists, who then infects the other... again, seeing as he doesn't know what he unleashes... bringing that back onto the ship endangers his mission regarding his "father".

Why was it meant to be a secret that Weyland was on board the ship? It never felt like it was any big deal and rather stupid to keep secret or the fact that he was Charlize Theron's father... never felt like it mattered.

As mentioned in the earlier post. First sign of breathable air and the stupid scientist pops off the helmet. Anyone going to a foreign place knows about foreign contaminants: not just visible ones, but bacteria and virus and in this case chemical and biological warfare - not to mention that THEY themselves are contaminating a foreign place with their breath and germs and such. The security officer on Prometheus should be fired for allowing them to take off their helmets and shouldn't have allowed any of them back onto Prometheus, as they are moronic idiots endangering the safety of everybody on board with their stunt.

And... the weird geologist who mapped the silo and knew where they were supposed to go... got lost?

And the flamethrower worked just fine in the atmosphere that would kill the flame immediately.

So, the WHITE space jockey's created all life on Earth. Our DNA matches theirs... except... it's seen in the first scene that whatever he drinks dissolves and breaks up his DNA and life starts from the scraps. But... anyone building something from scraps without a plan knows that there's basically no chance in hell of getting the same DNA through billion years of evolution to what the original was, through the use of dissolved fragments. They made us, visited us with several thousand years apart, inviting us to their weapons manufacturing moon by showing the star pattern that would only work when we'd reach space faring capabilities... and they invited us purely to wipe us out. Where the **** is the logic in that?

And what did Swan eat on the space flight at the end... and she couldn't go in stasis as she couldn't trust the android to not just go back to Earth, as was his plan - he's done nothing but try to kill her and everybody else for no real reason... so there really isn't any reason for her to trust him. And the space jockey just tried to kill her and the species was planning to destroy their creation on Earth... and she's still flying to their home... what does she expect to find there other than a bullet through the brain.

Things were just revealed way too fast... without any real tension or drama... and there's no real build-up where you feel afraid of the characters, and the characters do some remarkably idiotic things and you never really care about them to begin with. And I didn't care about the space jockeys... they felt rather... well... idiotic as well.

Couldn't have said it better myself

Yeah, my take is that this can kind of act as a prequel in the sense that if this takes place on some different planet than the one in Alien and Aliens, then they can still have it loosely fit into the mythology as long as they don't touch things that contradict that sequence of events in Alien. All that said, I found the new developments confusing at best and requiring WAY too many instances of me saying to myself "well, I guess if you factor in some unknown engineer technology then maybe x,y, or z can sorta make sense..."

This is all sounding very familiar.

"He seems more concerned with creating his film worlds than populating them with plausible characters, and that's the trouble this time. Blade Runner is a stunningly interesting visual achievement but a failure as a story." - Roger Ebert - June 2, 1982

Well if this movie is even half as good as Blade Runner, then I am sure it is GREAT and I will love it!

It is a great film and I didn't blink for 2 hrs, the trouble is it just could've been so much better in my opinion and it didn't need to be tied into Alien, Just the Space Jockey and nothing else would've been fine although even that was sketchy as to how and why.

Lindoff has been the downfall in all this I think, It will no doubt win oscars for design and SFX but as far as anything else its just a good movie. 12hrs after seeing it its already becoming meh!

This is all sounding very familiar.

"He seems more concerned with creating his film worlds than populating them with plausible characters, and that's the trouble this time. Blade Runner is a stunningly interesting visual achievement but a failure as a story." - Roger Ebert - June 2, 1982

Well if this movie is even half as good as Blade Runner, then I am sure it is GREAT and I will love it!

Then what ?

You want to love this film ? Then love it and be happy ! (and please respect the fact that others like me don't like it at all)

:sleep

Fred

Then what ?

You want to love this film ? Then love it and be happy ! (and please respect the fact that others like me don't like it at all)

:sleep

Fred

Seems like there's a lot of people crapping on this movie already, without piling on those of us who dug it, or are excited about seeing it. You hated it. We get it already :rolleyes

Seems like there's a lot of people crapping on this movie already, without piling on those of us who dug it, or are excited about seeing it. You hated it. We get it already :rolleyes

:)

Well, what I meant was that it isn't by comparing Prometheus' reviews to Blade Runner's that I'll be convinced it's good. (but I don't have any problem with the fact that others will love it, don't worry, I'm open minded)

:lol

Fred

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back