JFcustom's FOAM files

I feel like I did something wrong. How do I connect the jaw to the faceplate?

EDIT: This is MkIII btw

IMG_20180819_145703_519.jpg

I feel like I did something wrong. How do I connect the jaw to the faceplate?

EDIT: This is MkIII btw

View attachment 838650

The jaw will not connect as a perfect seam to the faceplate, it's meant to be a separate piece on most all of the models. When you build the main body (rear) of the helmet, you will then see where the jaw attaches to that base piece, and it will make the faceplate placement make a lot more sense :thumbsup

The jaw will not connect as a perfect seam to the faceplate, it's meant to be a separate piece on most all of the models. When you build the main body (rear) of the helmet, you will then see where the jaw attaches to that base piece, and it will make the faceplate placement make a lot more sense :thumbsup

Thanks! I never got around to assembling the back part of the helmet.

JfCustom mentions "paintable silicon caulking" on page 1 of this thread,although I am not sure whether this applies to foam only.

Yep you can use paintable acrylic latex caulk, with silicone, specifically Alex Plus: http://www.dap.com/media/53591/alexplus_ctg_tube_pairshotbig.jpg

It comes in both squeeze tubes and tubes for caulking guns, I fill seams using my finger, and then wipe off excess with a wet rag, works great. It is also paintable, a lot of other caulks won't take finishes over the top very well. Any way, my workflow usually goes like this:

Spray the piece with 2 plastidip coats to get a uniform color, it makes the gaps, pinholes, etc a lot easier to see.
Fill the gaps, wiping off excess. I let the stuff set for at least a hour before continuing
Spray again with plastidip, I spray pretty heavy as it levels out to a degree on it's own
Spray on primer/finish paint. If you find more spots to fill, just add more caulk, let it cure, and spray your paint right over the repair. :thumbsup

That caulking also works well to simulate weld joints.

Question: when wanting to apply velcro to the inside of armor,do I first coat the armor piece with plastic coating,or do I glue the velcro straight onto the foam?
Thank you

You'll want to go straight to the foam for a good hold. I usually don't even coat the interior of armor pieces if it's not intended to be visible from the outside.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back