JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6.

Heya guys. I'm almost done with my Batman suit. Looking towards the next project. Has anyone converted EOS's classic Iron Man to foam yet? I've been checking around. If the foam files are posted can someone direct me to the link. Thanks. And as always JF your threads and work rock. Thanks.

Doll joints works great when putting together the bicep/forearm, and the thigh/shin.
iron-man-mark-vi-foam-suit-my-doll-joints.jpg-114965d1348506172t
Might be a good alternative to the clips I use (and maybe available in the US ?)

I'm getting "cannot load file of specified type" in pepakura. What am I doing wrong?

You'll find your *.pdo files inside the *.rar file.
A rar file is like a zip file. You need to download and install WinRAR to open rar files. It also opens zip files and many other archive formats.

Hi 7sinzz,
well to tell you the truth, the fact that this modeling seems to remain definitively uncomplete has undermined my motivation. And as I'm short in time these days I had to relay the unfolding work through this thread untill I can find time enough to resume it back. You can see many want to start right now, I'm sure that a modeler from theRPF will soon consider feminizing a full suit.

Hey no worries jf. Your work here is fantastic buddy, you do more than enough for this community. I've participated in that thread now.

My biggest problem is knowing when to make the angled cuts! This weekend is my 3rd attempt. Not giving this up!!

It's simple as possible : each time the surface of the armor makes an angular outward inflection (not a simple curve, but an real palpable angle), you must make the angled cuts.

Vcut00.jpg

Vcut01.gif

Last edited:

JFcustom, I've Using your modified files and I'm 6' tall, 185lbs so I'm pretty height/weight proportionate. When I started my mk4 build I started with the fore arm pieces first, but upon building they turned out way to narrow near the elbow. I ended up having to scale up 20% to get it to fit right. Seemed like a lot to me and I'm worried about the rest of the suit. I'm on the clock (Halloween) so do you think I'm better off doing all my pieces at +20% in order to keep scale and minimize reworks?

You know, the model used is set for a 6' guy, but it has been originally designed to be built in paper. Paper has no thickness. The more thick is your foam, the more narrow will be your armor parts. But overscaling every part up to 120% will also increase the final height of your suit up to 120% too...
For reference, I'm 5'10" for 150lbs, and I kept the 6' scale for my whole mk4 suit, using a 6.5mm thin foam.
I know that some of us happend to add manually extra foam pieces to enlarge some parts, making them wider but not heigher nor longer.
You can also have a look at here : [HowTo] Fine tuning of Pepakura foam parts' size.

I was wondering about how important the foam thickness played. I got the anti fatigue mats from harbor freight and they are about 3/8" thick, but even if they were 1/4" that would only net me an 1/8" per side and not enough. I did get some 5mm foam today as well. I think I'm going to use that for the arms/legs and use the thicker stuff for the chest and back. Thanks for the help btw. Great write ups

Hey JF wanted to post a pic of my finished suit since I used your templates.. thanks for the work you did, made my job that much easier!!!

16957-dsc02319.jpg

That looks awesome. Nicely built and the proportions look good too. The helmet looks nice as well. Great job.

That looks awesome. Nicely built and the proportions look good too. The helmet looks nice as well. Great job.

Thanks! Put some serious time and effort into this to make it worthy of the RPF

Wow that is an amazing build! Is this your first time working with foam? Fit's you like a glove.

Hey JF wanted to post a pic of my finished suit since I used your templates.. thanks for the work you did, made my job that much easier!!!
Thanks to you. I've been following your build for long, since you started posting on theleagueofheroes. It's finally done now, and it seems that it has been sculpted in a single part ! May I suggest just a last detail to reach perfection ? Here : Iron Man Mark IV & VI Upper Thigh Part Pattern

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back