JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: FOAM speed building files ►Stormtrooper◄ in progress.

Hello everyone

Everybody's projects are coming out great

I'm having a few issues with my latest... Hopefully there someone that could possibly give me some pointers

I have a model that I wanted to edit within Pep Designer

The edges and lines. I guess are too complex for unfolding

As you can see in the picture attached, they are complete mass

Is there a way to make the model less complicated within the designer?

I would like to print these out for foam

Look at the picture

View attachment 245564

In designer, select set edge color (the little box that has three different colored pens in it). From there, you can adjust the slider that determines your polygon definition. 180 degrees will create a fold at every edge of the faces, you can slide that down to about 160 and it should clean up a lot of the extra pieces. AT 160 degrees, the foam can still maintain these 3 dimensional bends that would be impossible with paper.

Be dvised you can't draw anything onto black mats (had to borrow from my daughter her magic invisible sharpie, with UV led in the cap)...

Prefer the red ones.

What about those metallic silver sharpies?

I've used Sharpies on black mats, they aren't truly black, so i've not had any problem seeing my lines

Hi all, I finished my first foam project using one of JF files

Foto 23-10-13 21 18 15.jpgFoto 23-10-13 21 18 24.jpgFoto 23-10-13 21 18 43.jpg

My cut & glue finish is very poor but is enough for my 3 year son. He's so happy with his new ironman helmet.

I need more practice with hot gun. I'm thinking about my next project, maybe Loki's helmet... any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks from Spain JFCustom!!!
Foto 23-10-13 20 50 43.jpg

Attachments

• Foto 23-10-13 21 18 15.jpg
    Foto 23-10-13 21 18 15.jpg
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 298
  • Foto 23-10-13 20 50 51.jpg
    Foto 23-10-13 20 50 51.jpg
    456.1 KB · Views: 317

Thas a very very good helmet man wow! Ithough it was another pic of Jf showing a new helmet or something lol . You making the hole suit or just the helmet?
Hi all, I finished my first foam project using one of JF files

View attachment 245879View attachment 245880View attachment 245881

My cut & glue finish is very poor but is enough for my 3 year son. He's so happy with his new ironman helmet.

I need more practice with hot gun. I'm thinking about my next project, maybe Loki's helmet... any suggestions for a newbie?

Thanks from Spain JFCustom!!!
View attachment 245878

Is there a template to use leftover foam for making a Robin Mask?

Anything 2D you can do without a program. You can enlarge an image you see and use that as a template or just draw one. My son asked me for one and I just drew it on the foam. If you are using your leftover you have plenty of trial material to work with.

Attachments

• 1085132_10200665558506803_1782600379_o.jpg
    1085132_10200665558506803_1782600379_o.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 344

Anything 2D you can do without a program. You can enlarge an image you see and use that as a template or just draw one. My son asked me for one and I just drew it on the foam. If you are using your leftover you have plenty of trial material to work with.

HELL YES.

Thank you JFCustom! I won't be able to do these without your foam files. :)

Thor:
1379815_10202324401488264_1642648561_n.jpg

Captain America:
1385724_10202319103795825_1427440748_n.jpg

Took me only 1 day to do both, from scaling to painting.

anything for arkham origins?
Nothing planned. Unless you have a 3d model to provide ?

I'm right now transfering on ArmorAsylum's youtube channel the 3 hours long making-of video of this helmet :

dj1_th.jpg
dj2_th.jpg

The upload takes forever, I'll post the link tomorrow.

Meanwhile, watch the third and last part of Durkness's Deathstroke helmet 'howto' :

Attachments

• dj1_th.jpg
    dj1_th.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 86
  • dj1_th.jpg
    dj1_th.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 83
  • dj2_th.jpg
    dj2_th.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 81
  • dj2_th.jpg
    dj2_th.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:

JFC: your build is amazing and is likely the cleanest foam build that I have seen. Does the type of mat that you are using hold paint well? Does it require a sealing process prior to paint? There are many types of foam sheet an not hold paint equally. Your thoughts?

Next question to everyone: has anyone tried contact cement over the hot glue? Specifically, Barge cement? This method would appear to allow the builder to allow two glued sides to dry. Then, the mating process is done without the need to worry about the glue cooling, or the thickness of the hot glue joint.

JFC: your build is amazing and is likely the cleanest foam build that I have seen. Does the type of mat that you are using hold paint well? Does it require a sealing process prior to paint? There are many types of foam sheet an not hold paint equally. Your thoughts?
The foam I use does not hold paint well at all. Except one kind of paint so far : rustproof paint. But it's a bit expensive, and there's only a couple of colors available : red of black. It means it would requier a second coat of 'real' paint. But rustproof paint self-levels pretty well, also gives a smooth and quite rigid result. As a cheaper option I usually use Fortix or sikafill :

INCLINED ROOF COATING FORTIX
Create a waterproof coating on roofs and facades. Repairs tiles and gutters. Seals jointers and cracks. Avaible in white or terracotta or transparent.

FLEXIBLE COATING SIKAFILL
Seals roof - tile - fireplace - facade. Liquid semi-elastic acrylic coating. Black or red. High resistance to UV and weather.

Both are recomended to be applied in two passes with a twenty minutes interval, and first coat can be diluted from 5 to 10% of water for an easyer covering.

In order to obtain some much more rigid armor parts, a simple trick is to coat both inner and outer sides.

At the end, after painting, to prevent paint cracks at bending, I use a glossy transparent and flexible polymer coating that comes in spray. It's designed to protect any kind of paper, passeports, drawings, clothes, gloves, shoes, camping tents and so on... and why not, also foam suits.

___

Here's the vid of my last foam helmet build. It's long, but I'll add pointers.
Hope it may answer many questions :

Last edited by a moderator:

Nothing planned. Unless you have a 3d model to provide ?

I'm right now transfering on ArmorAsylum's youtube channel the 3 hours long making-of video of this helmet :

[url]http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/dj1_th.jpg[/URL] [url]http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/dj2_th.jpg[/URL]

The upload takes forever, I'll post the link tomorrow.

Meanwhile, watch the third and last part of Durkness's Deathstroke helmet 'howto' :

Deathstroke Helmet 3 - YouTube

there is one that you did but it needs to be modified to look like arkham origins (ears shorter, and the jaw opening smaller,and the neck is different)
arkham.jpg

[url]http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/arkham.jpg
Batman Arkham cowl - foam unfold JFcustom.pdo[/URL][/QUOTE]http://www.wintershade.com/therpf/Arkham%20cowl.pdo

Attachments

• arkham.jpg
    arkham.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:

there is one that you did but it needs to be modified to look like arkham origins (ears shorter, and the jaw opening smaller,and the neck is different)
...well, in one word, a different one ^^ If you can't edit the model, I suggest you could build this cowl however, and then aplly your own alterations to it. At my end, still nothing new planned before next year at least. I'm currently overloaded.

I really dig the face of the Wolverine cowl.... I think if someone mixed the Batman one with its face it would look great. You have created so many different templates that are easy enough to modify after printing.
are3utah.jpg

Second build using JF files, this one is Loki helmet, and these are the results:

pe5e7a9y.jpg
ydy2y8ys.jpg
ybame9e6.jpg
pajyhave.jpg

My finishing is much better now. A review of JF vídeos using hot gun helped me to a cleaner build. Now I need to improve my cutting technique...

I forgot, this helmet is also for my 3 years son. The next will be a WM helmet for me.

Thanks again JF for all of these files.

PD: I'm searching for files of magneto and galactus helmets, preferably for foam. If anyone have one of them, I'll much apreciate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back