JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days.

A quick example of the cheapest pivoting juncture ever :

from a plastic bottle

spare all parts

cut the bottleneck this way

glue the ring inside the border of a round hole in the upper foam piece

glue the bottleneck trough a second hole in the lower foam piece

and reassemble the same it primarily was.

Screw the plug back, you're done.

WOW ARE U SERIOUS!! great idea man!, i've been trying to think of alternative to the chicago screws that tend to always come off the glue or unscrew them selves some how.

Those rivets on your thigh to shin points how are the pivoting? you must be using a longer post right?

LOVE THE TIPS.. definitely gonna help a lot!

EDIT : content moved to first post

Last edited:

This is an awesome build! I'm planning on using your modified files to make a foam/aluminum Mark VII, but the .rar files you've posted don't want to open in Pepakura. Do you have another link or method of viewing and printing? Thanks, and great job!

RAR files are a type of archive file, like a zip file, designed to contain and shrink the file size of multiple or large files.

In this case the rar, when unrarred contains ALL of the PDOs for this suit.

A quick Google search should turn up free software to unarchive Rars.

-Nick

Thanks for simplifying the pattern for foam. Foam really takes curves nicely and doesn't need any flattening out! I will probably use these... =) Thanks to all involved making them.

Awesome tips! Would try Making good use of them on my next build. Love the detailed stuff on how to Glue parts!

Those are really great ! Thank you !
Although I've been playing around with the lower forearm assembled in paper, and in its original size, it is quite short, and to get the right length, it would need a +20% scale but then it's too wide... I guess 10% would do, but still a bit short as it should go all the way up the elbow (the upper part of the gauntlet, that is)... Anybody else have this problem ? Or is it just me who has long arms ?
Funny thing is the rest of the parts seems to be the right size without modifying anything even if I have not assembled them nor print them, I just compared the "assembled size" Pepakura Designer gives to my measurements.

Awesome tips...LOVE the cola bottle. Will definitely be using that in my WARMACHINE suite!!

Cheers:)

thanks for the files, they should help out for my mk 7

Very cool, I think I might give this a shot.
Few questions: Any advice on scaling your particular files? I'm 6'7 and 190 lbs, so I'm finding it a bit tricky to get a good fit for many parts.

What thickness of foam are you using?

@ JF-

How do you add the tabs in pepakura? I do custome unfolds all the time, but never play with add tabs back in. This could prove very useful.

Few questions: Any advice on scaling your particular files?
What thickness of foam are you using?

Hi guys,
well, these files are scaled quite strictly the same than those from this thread : Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files because I've only rearranged the edge combinations of most of the pieces for each part of the armor. My advice is : scale it the same as if you were scaling Darkside501st's pep files, besause they are also stemmed from the single same Darkside501st's 3D model.
I use rolls of 6.5mm thickness, that I can more or less harden with a light or heavy coat of Sikafill. Or Rubson. Or every similar coating that is called upon sealing roofs from rain.

Although I've been playing around with the lower forearm assembled in paper, and in its original size, it is quite short, and to get the right length, it would need a +20% scale but then it's too wide... I guess 10% would do, but still a bit short as it should go all the way up the elbow (the upper part of the gauntlet, that is)...

One of the main plus we have to build with foam, in my opinion, is that once done we can easily cut or add foam pieces here and there and around, in order to fix these kind of issues.

How do you add the tabs in pepakura? I do custome unfolds all the time, but never play with add tabs back in. This could prove very useful.

In fact, all the pieces of the object displayed in the half left of Pepakura are necessarily present too on the sheets laydown at the half right. If you do not see them, it's often because they have been aggregated outside of the white area. Scroll and you'll find them. Or use 'cut/join' function. Or undo/redo unfolding... You can't miss them. Anyway, you can't add a piece that does not already belongs to the (undolded or not) object.

1- 3D object
2- unfolded pattern
3- assembled foam

I don't add anything, I simply re-use unused pieces.

Have fun.

I'll likely never make an Ironman costume, but this tutorial is AWESOME for tips on how to think through foam/armor/3d pieces.

The smilies crack me up too. :)

Thanks for the info, I think I've tracked down some thin enough foam, can't wait to get started. I've been poking through your file, and had a few more questions. Some of the pieces have what look to be like large flaps on the edges, some times sperated by evenly dashed lines, sometimes not. Are these "flaps", for lack of a better work, supposed to fold a certain direction to help create a raised/lowered area, or am I misinterpreting this?

You're in the truth.
I've left some important lines where it was important to leave some lines. A large part of pep-foaming is based on this :

You'll often have to give a shape to a single piece of foam in order to decrease the amount of seams.

Let's play with a MKVII handplate :

_

Thanks, that drawing was really helpful. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how to make small cuts on the underside of the foam to bend it to get the step... Now it makes much more sense.

The main two usefull ways I use to make steps :

Here's drawn a third method to realize a half-step. Usefull for thicker foam, or for detailed areas such as helmet or gloves, neck, ARK area...

step01.gif

Thank you for your help! And I can not wait to see your MarkVII!!!?

JF, got any tips for cutting the triangle out for the mountain fold without going through the other side? I can see people having trouble keeping the depth consistent.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back