Subscribe
    Aug 30, 2012, 9:44 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #126

JF!!!!!!
    That is a marvelous tip.
    X-acto blades cost a fortune to me. This is a nice trick.
    Perhaps I'd do with bended popsicle stick. In the mean time, I'll look again for my recently broken sweeper stick .
    I have been told that we must hold the knife at 20 degree angle?
  2. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    Ohio
    Aug 30, 2012, 11:24 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #127

Thank you for another of many wonderful tips. I too am a bit of a tight wad and this was one of the biggest draw backs of this hobby. Will be trying this tonight thanks again.

-----------------------------------------------------
    Iron man Mk4 first attempt http://www.therpf.com/f24/ironman-mk...-build-158310/
    From
    Alabang, P.I.
    Aug 30, 2012, 11:29 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #128

Oldtimer barbers sharpen their razors on leather belts, i believe this can be utilized for re-sharpening cutter blades as well.
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Aug 31, 2012, 4:20 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #129

Yes, we can see them doing so in some western movies.
    About the inclination, something between 20 and 30 degrees angle will go. Below : the tool doesn't touche the apex of the blade at all, and above : it crunches it.
    _______

Oh, and by 10 times on each side, I ment left side and right side alternatively, not 10 tilmes letf and 10 times right. Just like the barbers. It's important to work on both sides in parallel.
  5. Member Since
    Aug 2012
    From
    Cebu City, Philippines
    Aug 31, 2012, 5:01 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #130

Thanks for the Tip! Really appreciate it!
  6. Member Since
    Sep 2012
    From
    Collingswood, NJ
    Sep 4, 2012, 10:05 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #131

wow. Awesome thread. Thanks. This will be useful for a newb like me.
  7. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Melbourne, FL
    Sep 5, 2012, 8:59 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #132

Great writeup.

Does anyone know of a US supplier of the plastic clip rivets that JF used? I've been searching this morning and the only thing I can find are regular rivets or automotive push clips.
  8. RPF Premium Member Kurtis876's Avatar
    Sep 5, 2012, 9:25 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #133

TVsRobLowe said: View Post
    Great writeup.

Does anyone know of a US supplier of the plastic clip rivets that JF used? I've been searching this morning and the only thing I can find are regular rivets or automotive push clips.
    Ill look into it... I just had to say how genius your user name is
    From
    Philippines
    Sep 5, 2012, 1:22 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #134

JFcustom said: View Post

How to sharpen a blade.

I read in almost every thread about issues with foam clean cutting that several dozens of new blades can be needed to build a full suit. Of course we all agree on the requirement of a highly sharp blade, and the less we can say is that a supersharp blade does not stay supersharp for a long time at all.

It mustn't be a reason to replace it systematically. Only the very edge of the blade is blunt, don't waist it for such a short. There are many ways to sharpen it back. You're allowed to disbelieve : I use the same blade since april. I'm a tightwad...

If foam by itself is able to blunt a blade, this same foam may also sharpen it. The main trick is NOT to take an aggressive nor fierce material. No whetstone, no grindstone, no polishing Dremel tip, not event the thinest sanding paper... Something just like Death, in "Reaper man" from Terry Pratchett, is sharpening his scytheblade using wind and moonlight until it can even cut a conversation.

Here we must choose a couple of tools, that will widely depend of what you can find around you :
    - a long and soft one, like the wooden stick of your sweeper.
    - a hard and sleek one, for exemple the handle of a steel ladle,
    An object with a circular section works better. Too flat and the blade won't press enough, too thin and it will press too much.

HOWTO :

The way you would lay down some marmelade on a toast, scrub with some wide movements each side of the slanted blade on the surface of your wooden stick. On all the length of the blade, always in the same direction. Do not press at all ! the weight of the cutter is enough. Do it lightly and tactfully. Wood is slightly abrasive, it will polish the edge of the blade. Then, do the same on the steel handle. Metal is hard and bald, it will flatten the imperfections. Do it ten times on each side with each tool, and check the sharpness on a small wasted piece of foam. Do it frequently, don't wait your blade to be worn out before doing it again.

You can also use a strip of cardboard, the side of a shoebox, an empty roll of kitchen paper,even a tissue flap... a copper pipe, the side of your desktop computer, a metal doorknob or chair leg...

Hey, this is a good tip, you can also use and old jeans. That's what I use for sharpening my razor.
  10. Member Since
    Sep 2012
    From
    Durham, NC
    Sep 12, 2012, 2:40 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #135

JF - Thanks for your files and all the great information you have provided here.

Another tip for sharpening your blade, to ensure you're doing it right and completely. Take a Sharpie marker and mark both sides of your cutting edge. As you sharpen the blade properly the marker will be uniformly ground away as well. This is a great way to check that you're getting the proper angle on the blade while sharpening it.
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Sep 16, 2012, 4:32 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #136

Thank you Catavarie, crafty tip. I quote this in the first post.
    From
    Vienna, Austria
    Sep 16, 2012, 5:55 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #137

Very interesting stuff! Thanks to all who contribute to this thread!
    Sep 17, 2012, 1:28 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added "Howto sharpen a blade". #138

Thanks for all the tips and tutorials.
    And thanks for putting it all in the first post!

Mark
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Sep 18, 2012, 3:19 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6. #139

All in the first post, I find it practical.

mizuno hadouken | theRPF (the guy with the stunning blue-Iron-Man) made me notice I had not released any foam file for the mkVI chest and brace.
    Well, now it's done.
    Sep 18, 2012, 8:23 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6. #140

JFcustom said: View Post
    All in the first post, I find it practical.

mizuno hadouken | theRPF (the guy with the stunning blue-Iron-Man) made me notice I had not released any foam file for the mkVI chest and brace.
    Well, now it's done.
    Thank you for the update and thanks for the compliment!
    Sep 23, 2012, 4:31 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6. #141

Hey JF, is there a pep version of the Ultimate Iron Man?
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Sep 23, 2012, 4:38 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6. #142

This Ultimate is released here for foam, on the first post of this thread, and there for paper, in the first post of EyeOfSauron's pep files thread.
  18. Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Sep 23, 2012, 10:07 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6. #143

Heya guys. I'm almost done with my Batman suit. Looking towards the next project. Has anyone converted EOS's classic Iron Man to foam yet? I've been checking around. If the foam files are posted can someone direct me to the link. Thanks. And as always JF your threads and work rock. Thanks.
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Sep 24, 2012, 1:25 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6. #144

armynavy said: View Post
    Doll joints works great when putting together the bicep/forearm, and the thigh/shin.
    Might be a good alternative to the clips I use (and maybe available in the US ?)
    From
    Palm Harbor, FL
    Oct 3, 2012, 5:36 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6. #145

I'm getting "cannot load file of specified type" in pepakura. What am I doing wrong?
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Oct 4, 2012, 2:40 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6. #146

You'll find your *.pdo files inside the *.rar file.
    A rar file is like a zip file. You need to download and install WinRAR to open rar files. It also opens zip files and many other archive formats.
    From
    UK
    Oct 4, 2012, 3:51 PM - #147

Hey jf, did you manage to finish the iron woman files buddy? Sorry to keep on about it.
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Oct 4, 2012, 4:25 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6. #148

Hi 7sinzz,
    well to tell you the truth, the fact that this modeling seems to remain definitively uncomplete has undermined my motivation. And as I'm short in time these days I had to relay the unfolding work through this thread untill I can find time enough to resume it back. You can see many want to start right now, I'm sure that a modeler from theRPF will soon consider feminizing a full suit.
    From
    UK
    Oct 5, 2012, 9:57 AM - #149

Hey no worries jf. Your work here is fantastic buddy, you do more than enough for this community. I've participated in that thread now.
    From
    McKinney, TX
    Oct 5, 2012, 11:56 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added IM mk6. #150

Thanks for the tips. Very helpful!