JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added Dancin_Fool's Iron Man MkII/III

i have no problem printing through the page breaks. you just print it, the spaces between the pages are there anyway, as it calculates itself. as long as its side by side, you can just line up the lines after you printed it and cut it out. then tape it together, and trace it to foam.

awesome ok great thank you bud! Couldn't risk wasting paper today unfortunately. I appreciate your help! :thumbsup

hey there JF, great job on the Mark III DF foam! Question... How does one print with the polygons overlapping page breaks?

That is, since the 2D shapes carry from one page to another, covering more than one page, how do you print without messing it up? thank you!

When I'm doing it what I do is turn on alignment marks in pep designer. This puts crosshairs in the 4 corners. Then after printing you can just connect the crosshairs with a ruler and pen and you'll know perfectly where the piece ends, then you just have to tape them together.

When I'm doing it what I do is turn on alignment marks in pep designer. This puts crosshairs in the 4 corners. Then after printing you can just connect the crosshairs with a ruler and pen and you'll know perfectly where the piece ends, then you just have to tape them together.

ok, I did try that but it ended up printing nothing when I tried to print. I unplugged and restarted pc and printer, seems to be back on track. Thanks DF! I know you've heard it 5,000 times, but your work is top shelf! :thumbsup

another question, this is for anyone working with the mark iii JF files, do you know if they are all scaled to each other? it looks as though most are scaled to 1.6555, except the neck (as i've seen so far). That is, Do you think all the files can be scaled down by the same percentage?

So far I've built the arm in paper, and the shoulder, and they seem pretty large on me, i'm scaling them down 20%. I want a pretty fitted suit as I'm a decent size lad already. I'm 5'10", 180 lb., 33" waist, and am trying to get a smaller look in general than I've seen many builders get. Anyway, the long-winded point is I feel like I'm already a decent-sized dude, and don't need the suit to look oversized as some folks get.

Thanks everyone! :)

Last edited:

Wanted to thank JF for the files. I went out and bought some 1/4" camping foam ($10 for a 70" x 39" roll) but I find it to soft. Has only one else use this type of foam before or should I try something else?

Well, once you start doing the painting process, it'll get "stiffer". Don't worry about the softness now.

I just find with this foam I'm unable to get any angle cuts even with a new blade. I get one angle cut for the mountain and when I go to do the other the foam just bunches up making one horrible cut line

Wanted to thank JF for the files. I went out and bought some 1/4" camping foam ($10 for a 70" x 39" roll) but I find it to soft. Has only one else use this type of foam before or should I try something else?

I found camping foam too flexible... though I know a lot of people use it. I get mine from "wandy_foam" on ebay. Just search for 6mm foam sheets and it should come up. It's eva foam that is just the right amount of thickness+flexible. It's probably about twice as expensive...

Another option is Joann.com, they have 6mm "Darice" eva foam sheets, about $1 per 12x9 sheet... however they have it on sale right now, you can get a 10 pack for $6.49. Just search for 6mm foam. Joann always has some kind of coupon you can use too. Hope this helps!

I just find with this foam I'm unable to get any angle cuts even with a new blade. I get one angle cut for the mountain and when I go to do the other the foam just bunches up making one horrible cut line

I sometimes use this bevel foam cutter, it works decently with a good blade:

Amazon.com: Foamwerks Straight/Bevel Cutter: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Otherwise you could try a hotknife, or a box cutter. Angles on a curve are definitely tough sometimes, anyone else have suggestions?

I found camping foam too flexible... though I know a lot of people use it. I get mine from "wandy_foam" on ebay. Just search for 6mm foam sheets and it should come up. It's eva foam that is just the right amount of thickness+flexible. It's probably about twice as expensive...

Another option is Joann.com, they have 6mm "Darice" eva foam sheets, about $1 per 12x9 sheet... however they have it on sale right now, you can get a 10 pack for $6.49. Just search for 6mm foam. Joann always has some kind of coupon you can use too. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into "wandy foam" on ebay but it says they don't ship to Canada. I'll try out Joann.com. Thanks again

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into "wandy foam" on ebay but it says they don't ship to Canada. I'll try out Joann.com. Thanks again

dang sorry! man... there are so many Canadians on here... you guys must love costumes up there! :thumbsup

Thought I'd give it another shot with this foam. Had enough to just do the right shin. Still need some work on size and angles. But other then that, didn't come out to bad for my first try

http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums...deyman12004/?action=view&current=DSCF0890.jpg

http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums...deyman12004/?action=view&current=DSCF0891.jpg

http://s1062.photobucket.com/albums...deyman12004/?action=view&current=DSCF0893.jpg

Foam can be shaped well with a heat gun. Try to make less cuts in curved areas and bend the foam instead, it'll look better. Takes a little practice to find out how to modify the pep files and how to use the heat gun... also consider buying a pair of gloves at your hardware store!

Thought I'd give it another shot with this foam. Had enough to just do the right shin. Still need some work on size and angles. But other then that, didn't come out to bad for my first try

DSCF0891.jpg picture by spideyman12004 - Photobucket

Man that looks great! Obviously the lighter colored foam helps you see edges as you cut. Great job!

I gotta say I love these files JF and DF! this mk iii is definitely the most foam friendly I've used! I have the right leg done, though I keep forgetting to take pics. I want to do a little more thermoforming on the calf too. I wish I had seen these before I built stealth's torso... though his is awesome too, I really like the simplicity of these!

It seems that the Mark III DF, JF, and stealth files are all interchangable at the same scale...that of course would make sense right, since they are all from the DF files? I'm going to add the JF spine to the stealth back today, seems like it should fit according to the cardstock cutout. Thank you so much JF, DF, and Stealth!

These tips and tricks are invaluable mate, many thanks for making foam building a hell of a lot easier......oh and i borrowed your idea for making the arc reactor, it works really well so thanks very much (y)thumbsup

ok guys, Just thought I'd post a quick pic... My first full foam IM build is almost complete. I'll probably post a new thread with pics I've taken over the last 3 weeks... Clearly I had no idea how much foam it would take haha! I'll post more in the future. This was built using JF's custom files, and DF's arm files, mixed with Stealth's chest and back DF edits.

What took the longest was the abs, I somehow got it in my head that I wanted to do them from scratch, which ended up taking forever. Fits pretty well though! Overall, I must say there was a BUNCH of customizing, but thanks so much for the great files guys!!

My main and probably only problem is that the biceps fit pretty tight, but look too big! I might have to rebuild them using 4mm foam. (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Excellent job !
What did you use to dig the dark lines on, for exemple, the brown leg ? it looks realy workmanlike.

I have to agree with JF, those seam lines are so straight and clean they almost look machined....but it is foam right??
Eager to hear how you accomplish those!
Maybe the secret is a well stocked bar??? hmmm maybe onto something here spideyman.:lol
M

Last edited:

I have to agree with JF, those seam lines are so straight and clean they almost look machined....but it is foam right??
Eager to hear how you accomplish those!
Maybe the secret is a well stocked bar??? hmmm maybe onto something here spideyman.:lol
M

HAA! wow that's really a compliment man thanks to you both!

Welllllll what it is is... A hotknife. I drew out the lines I wanted, using a ruler and a flexicurve, following movie stills and a 10" mk iii toy I have, as well as a great file i found on turbosquid. After I layed them all out, I "burnished" them about one mm deep into the foam, slowwwly but surely. It was high risk, but I felt I had the practice for it. Any tiny mess-ups I will go back and do fine battle damage in the paint stage. I've been going for a simple look that still looks detailed enough to be not cheap, slightly movie-esque, and hopefully will look good come paint time.

As I progressed, I learned good speed, pressure, and angle of the knife, which helped get a lot of the edges continuous. Plus, sometimes the lines I needed follow the actual Foam seams, so that also to care of some imperfections. PLEASE practice on scrap if you're going to attempt the hotknife! I used a tiny (almost looks like a ballpoint pen) knife nib (DOES NOT look like the xacto blade), cranked the heat up to orange/red, and kept my hand steady. Boom. It's something I attempted many times, but I actually got a tip from Mr. Bibou which helped. Props to him!

Yes, I used 2, 3, 4, and 6mm EVA foam, Darice and some from "wandy foam" on ebay, which was EXCELLENT (the light tan). There are definitely differences in ease of cutting amongst brands of foam companies.

There are alot of cool little zippers, snaps, chicago screws, and velcros that I'll post more of later.

The suit will be topped with either my Pannaus or Finhead lid (Tjack made), so I'm pumped!

But I will say to anyone, start with good templates, nice cutouts, sharp blades, and take your time, you can get some really great edges! I'll post more pics in the future, thanks again everyone! (y)thumbsup:thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back