Page 3 of 133 FirstFirst 123456781353 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Florida
    Jun 26, 2012, 12:49 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #51

This thread is awesome, Can't wait to see the Ultimate Iron man files.
  2. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Jun 26, 2012, 4:05 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #52

Quick question JF could you explain how you know where to do 45 degree cuts and in which direction they should be in, cause ive cut out all of robostealths mark 4/6 files on paper and i want to start cutting my foam...
    From
    UK
    Jun 26, 2012, 5:44 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #53

Looking forward to seeing your updates
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jun 26, 2012, 6:42 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #54

Genises said: View Post
    Quick question JF could you explain how you know where to do 45 degree cuts and in which direction they should be in, cause ive cut out all of robostealths mark 4/6 files on paper and i want to start cutting my foam...
    Cut all your foam parts first with no particular angle, some quite right angles would go well, and then, only while assembling, you can adjust inclination edge after edge.

5. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Jun 27, 2012, 4:14 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #55

aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh that's a perfect explanation, thank you
  6. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Jun 28, 2012, 10:17 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #56

Thanks so much for putting this together. I'm going to try to build the Mark VII costume in time for Dragoncon. But, since this is the first time I have build something like this, I have a few questions.

1. Why are there two different versions of the back? Which one do you think is easier to build?

2. Is the thigh the right thigh (or the left thigh)? Do I have to turn all the pattern pieces upside down to make the opposite one? Same question for the shin.

3. On the other hand, the upper forearm looks symetric. So, can I just build 2 of these? Or do I have to flip the pattern over? Which parts do I have to flip over?

4. What thickness of foam do you use? The same stuff you used here? (6.5 mm PE foam) Do you think it is ok to use 2 or 3 mm foam? Because, I am not sure if I can get the right foam easily here.
  7. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Jun 29, 2012, 1:32 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #57

I have another question. When you tape the paper together, there is a border of 0.5" or so on the edge of the paper. Do you cut off this edge before taping the papers together? Or, do you just tape the papers together naturally and ignore that stuff isn't printed on that part?
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jun 29, 2012, 2:46 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #58

1- Back 05 is a one-piece built, back 06 is the version with separate flaps. I think you'll save time when making the first one.
    2- it's the right leg. Yes you'll have to invert all of your pattern pieces.
    3- It's true, arms looks symetric. Even so, in doubt, and since you still have to build a couple of them, you may want to invert pattern however. It costs nothing.
    4- I always use 6.5mm, because of its fexibility, and its price ! Using 2 or 3mm, why not ? After all pepakura is basicaly designed for building with paper.
    5- Sheets of paper have to overlap one another (or must be cut), in order to avoid blank margins. I usually cut of top and left margins of all sheets, and tape each one above right and bottom margins of the previous neighbour sheets.
  9. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Jun 29, 2012, 10:53 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #59

Thanks so much for your quick response.

It looks like I will have to modify the pepakura files slightly because I am printing on Letter sized paper rather than A4. Well, unless I can find some A4 sized card stock at office depot or something.

I'm so excited to get started. But, I am still pretty concerned that I am not going to be able to do it, since I am not very crafty. But, I am going to give it a try. I think I will start with the Cod piece. Because if I get that done, but don't have time to complete everything else, I can wear that to the Anything But Clothes party.
    From
    Vancouver, BC
    Jun 29, 2012, 2:40 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #60

I just wanted to add that if you save the scraps from when you're cutting the angles you can use those scraps as spacers for when there's dips/crevices in the model that aren't there in the foam templates. I also used them to add size around some of the pieces that weren't quite big enough due to missing parts in the conversion to foam process.

JFcustom said: View Post
    Cut all your foam parts first with no particular angle, some quite right angles would go well, and then, only while assembling, you can adjust inclination edge after edge.

Jun 29, 2012, 4:24 PM - #61

JF you da man!
    Im very slow at this but I have built a full arm so far will take some photos to share with you!
    Thank you for all the sharing you do to help us with our builds!
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jun 29, 2012, 7:34 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : added FOAM Iron Man Ultimate v2. #62

Now avaible too :

Iron Man Ultimate JFcustomized FOAM pepakura files.

Credits for the 3d model : unknown (?)
    Last edited by JFcustom; Jun 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM.
  13. Member Since
    Apr 2012
    Jun 30, 2012, 6:23 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #63

miroku000 said: View Post
    Thanks so much for putting this together. I'm going to try to build the Mark VII costume in time for Dragoncon. But, since this is the first time I have build something like this, I have a few questions.

1. Why are there two different versions of the back? Which one do you think is easier to build?

2. Is the thigh the right thigh (or the left thigh)? Do I have to turn all the pattern pieces upside down to make the opposite one? Same question for the shin.

3. On the other hand, the upper forearm looks symetric. So, can I just build 2 of these? Or do I have to flip the pattern over? Which parts do I have to flip over?

4. What thickness of foam do you use? The same stuff you used here? (6.5 mm PE foam) Do you think it is ok to use 2 or 3 mm foam? Because, I am not sure if I can get the right foam easily here.

I used 2mm and 3mm foam, def not as stable so fabric back it for stability and to make it stiffer!
  14. Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Jun 30, 2012, 11:45 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added Iron Man ULTIMATE v2. #64

Since I have "Letter" paper and not "A4", I believe that I can just go into the file->print paper and settings menu and change it to letter. Then, I can drag the parts around a little to save paper. I think this is the right way to do it.

But, if I just open the model and go to print it, it gives me a warning that the paper size of the model and the paper size of the printer don't match and asks if I want to resize it. I am guessing that this would be a "bad thing" and would make the parts the wrong size. Am I right about this?
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jun 30, 2012, 12:39 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added Iron Man ULTIMATE v2. #65

miroku000 said: View Post
    [...] Am I right about this?
    Yes, you're all right. It does not take a long time at all.
    From
    The Philippines
    Jul 1, 2012, 5:06 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added Iron Man ULTIMATE v2. #66

finally ultimate ironman files!
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jul 4, 2012, 6:14 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added War Machine. #67

Now avaible on this 4th of july :

Robo3687's War Machine, JFcustomized FOAM files.
    All included but heavy weapons. Helmet design by Stark1138.
    Last edited by JFcustom; Jul 5, 2012 at 7:04 AM.
    From
    Pittsburgh/Philadelphia PA
    Jul 4, 2012, 7:18 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added War Machine. #68

thank you!!!!!
  19. Plaster surgeon RPF Premium Member animefan's Avatar
    From
    Canada
    Jul 4, 2012, 7:58 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added War Machine. #69

your the best man thanks for all these
  20. RPF Premium Member electraflier's Avatar
    From
    Altamonte Springs Florida US
    Jul 4, 2012, 8:51 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added War Machine. #70

Thanks! What an incredible gift to the RPF Iron Man /War Machine Fans and builders!
    You rock!
    M
    From
    UK
    Jul 5, 2012, 5:10 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added War Machine. #71

Thank you dude!!! You are AWESOME!!!!!!!
    Jul 5, 2012, 5:52 AM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added War Machine. #72

Noooo! Speed Building foam edits released after I've completed all my WM parts but the Gatling! Just kidding, great work with this JF. I tried your soda bottle pivot trick, but I used cheap water bottles, and they crinkled and melted when I tried to glue them in . Now I'm using heavy duty snaps from the craft store. $.50 a snap, and they're much thinner than bottle tops. Plus if you over stress them, they release instead of tearing the foam. Love your arc tip too. Thanks again for this great thread.
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jul 5, 2012, 9:24 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added War Machine. #73

Thank you for your kind words

I had a doubt about the Extremis scaling, so I built the halmet as a check test.

It's very skiny, in fact it fits me as close as a sock. I must increase scale factor up to 11 or 12 and check again.
  24. RPF Premium Member electraflier's Avatar
    From
    Altamonte Springs Florida US
    Jul 5, 2012, 10:52 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added War Machine. #74

Wow! You are awesome. Those are some incredible seams and straight lines... master in the making there!
    M
    From
    Schaumburg, IL
    Jul 5, 2012, 10:55 PM - Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : added War Machine. #75

JFcustom said: View Post
    Thank you for your kind words

I had a doubt about the Extremis scaling, so I built the halmet as a check test.

It's very skiny, in fact it fits me as close as a sock. I must increase scale factor up to 11 or 12 and check again.

Oh my freaking lord!!! You are a master, what kind of foam is that? Amazing! just Amazing...