JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days.

I must confess it did never happened to me, which explains my lack of tip about that. Anyway, if cutting at once each side of the triangle turns to failure, they may try to cut concentric triangles, starting with a small shallow one, and going larger to deeper until almost reaching the other side. The way a beaver would do... :)

Edit : conscientious that I am, I've just tryed out. At first I've sharpened my knife (ALWAYS resharpening, as soon as you feel that you don't cut warm butter), I apply my thumb on the side of the blade AND on the foam simultaneously, so as to prevent the blade from pearcing through it. My inch acts as a depth stop.
Never had problem.

Last edited:

Sir I Say sir i Tip My Hat To You For making this Much Easier for some of us thanks!!

Any updates?
Given that I did not had time enough to even plug my brand new glue gun yet, it's not too late to change my mind and select an other suit. I've just unfolded the foam version of Iron Man Extremis Pepakura Files and will build this suit instead (or at first).
Im_extremis_th.jpg

And anyhow still in 4 days.

Hi! JF custom, i wonder if you are going to share, your extremis foam version files, i will appreciate if y ou do so. Best regards!

Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men.

thx a lot for the foam mod files, btw the link for the extremis on the first post is incorrect btw

This is such a great thread! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge, JFcustom. I think what a lot of foam threads forget to mention (that this thread is dedicated to) is to not blindly follow your templates and to use your brain when cutting, gluing, and building your foam suits. The templates make things easy, but you still need to think about how to put it all together.

This thread is awesome, Can't wait to see the Ultimate Iron man files.

Quick question JF could you explain how you know where to do 45 degree cuts and in which direction they should be in, cause ive cut out all of robostealths mark 4/6 files on paper and i want to start cutting my foam...

Quick question JF could you explain how you know where to do 45 degree cuts and in which direction they should be in, cause ive cut out all of robostealths mark 4/6 files on paper and i want to start cutting my foam...
Cut all your foam parts first with no particular angle, some quite right angles would go well, and then, only while assembling, you can adjust inclination edge after edge.

gluing4.gif

Thanks so much for putting this together. I'm going to try to build the Mark VII costume in time for Dragoncon. But, since this is the first time I have build something like this, I have a few questions.

1. Why are there two different versions of the back? Which one do you think is easier to build?

2. Is the thigh the right thigh (or the left thigh)? Do I have to turn all the pattern pieces upside down to make the opposite one? Same question for the shin.

3. On the other hand, the upper forearm looks symetric. So, can I just build 2 of these? Or do I have to flip the pattern over? Which parts do I have to flip over?

4. What thickness of foam do you use? The same stuff you used here? (6.5 mm PE foam) Do you think it is ok to use 2 or 3 mm foam? Because, I am not sure if I can get the right foam easily here.

I have another question. When you tape the paper together, there is a border of 0.5" or so on the edge of the paper. Do you cut off this edge before taping the papers together? Or, do you just tape the papers together naturally and ignore that stuff isn't printed on that part?

1- Back 05 is a one-piece built, back 06 is the version with separate flaps. I think you'll save time when making the first one.
2- it's the right leg. Yes you'll have to invert all of your pattern pieces.
3- It's true, arms looks symetric. Even so, in doubt, and since you still have to build a couple of them, you may want to invert pattern however. It costs nothing.
4- I always use 6.5mm, because of its fexibility, and its price ! Using 2 or 3mm, why not ? After all pepakura is basicaly designed for building with paper.
5- Sheets of paper have to overlap one another (or must be cut), in order to avoid blank margins. I usually cut of top and left margins of all sheets, and tape each one above right and bottom margins of the previous neighbour sheets.

Thanks so much for your quick response.

It looks like I will have to modify the pepakura files slightly because I am printing on Letter sized paper rather than A4. Well, unless I can find some A4 sized card stock at office depot or something.

I'm so excited to get started. But, I am still pretty concerned that I am not going to be able to do it, since I am not very crafty. But, I am going to give it a try. I think I will start with the Cod piece. Because if I get that done, but don't have time to complete everything else, I can wear that to the Anything But Clothes party. :)

I just wanted to add that if you save the scraps from when you're cutting the angles you can use those scraps as spacers for when there's dips/crevices in the model that aren't there in the foam templates. I also used them to add size around some of the pieces that weren't quite big enough due to missing parts in the conversion to foam process.

Cut all your foam parts first with no particular angle, some quite right angles would go well, and then, only while assembling, you can adjust inclination edge after edge.

gluing4.gif

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back