JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: FOAM speed building files'n'tricks ►Dredd helmet◄ added.

Lol.... oh you are going to have to stop someday....I keep getting sidetracked by the stuff you throw out. These helmet unfolds you do are super fun and easy....

i love this thread...anybody have the kickass bigdaddy pep file...that one would be cool.

A prototype quick attempt at a kid-sized common Predator.
Yes, it's far uncomplete yet.

I think the *.pdo file might be enhanced here and there... anyway everything is always more tricky when working on some child scaled stuff.

Quick question, guys.
If I am doing the speed-foam method, do I still need to make the underside cuts in areas where the thickness of foam should already compensate for the folds in the Pepakura file?

See attached image..

The two long pieces that go from ear to ear have dotted lines (Valley) cuts all the way through them...but if I'm using 4mm foam, I can just layer them to create the same effect..right?

Should I then cut on the valley dotted lines since I will be doing it this way? or do the underside valley cuts anyway?

thanks!

The lines you're talking about are not valleys, they are overlap areas.
Pepakura is not a software for foam, and so you have to make by yourself the difference between folding lines and gluing areas, just like on the cube template below :
unfoldedcubewtabs.gif

On the considered helmet, the result is that :

The lines you're talking about are not valleys, they are overlap areas.
Pepakura is not a software for foam, and so you have to make by yourself the difference between folding lines and gluing areas, just like on the cube template below :
unfoldedcubewtabs.gif

On the considered helmet, the result is that :

Ohh I see..in this case..but what is the clue for other body armor parts which is overlap and which are valley/mountain ones?

That would help me tremendously..:facepalm:D

...do I still need to make the underside cuts in areas where the thickness of foam should already compensate for the folds in the Pepakura file?

..but what is the clue for other body armor parts which is overlap and which are valley/mountain ones?

You just made yourself the question and its answer :
the clue to know which are overlap and which are valley/mountain lines is that it's an overlap everytime you don't still need to make the underside cuts in areas where the thickness of foam should already compensate for the folds in the Pepakura file.

gluing1_th.jpg

Wow! Nice job ! My daughter saw your post, and now I have to make her one. LOL

Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days.

RAR files are a type of archive file, like a zip file, designed to contain and shrink the file size of multiple or large files.

In this case the rar, when unrarred contains ALL of the PDOs for this suit.

A quick Google search should turn up free software to unarchive Rars.

-Nick

Grab a copy of 7Zip. It's free, simple to use and it rocks!

Thanks for sharing all this knowledge and effort, JFcustom and to all the folks who made the original pep files.

We all remember that we all at some time must stand on the shoulders of giants to reach higher.

Great work. :thumbsup

Thanks to Nick for RAR explanation......I'm no techy and haven't figured much out on my own! I can build most anything the hard way, like the mark I suit I built by eye. So...much thanks again. I'm sure this won't be my last hurdle!

Has anyone tried that Dredd helmet yet? Curious to see the outcome on that one...

master jf?. anyone?? can you guys help me with the right scale for a 5'5" person please? it would be a great help thanks guys.

PS master jf great work on the files. :D

Very interesting thread here. Especially because as I am approaching my first build I am in complete research mode. At the moment I'm battling a war in my head of foam vs. fiberglassing. I'm thinking that in my infancy I may start with foam and maybe someday do the fiberglassing stuff. Either way, I look forward to reading through this entire thread, thanks.

Just read through the first page.... he has every trick and example posted on there. Good luck!

master jf?. anyone?? can you guys help me with the right scale for a 5'5" person please? it would be a great help thanks guys.

PS master jf great work on the files. :D

I have found its better to do piece by piece using the measure device on pep designer. I am 5'6", and I can get a design that states it fits someone of my height. But then the legs are long, the chest is tight, so and so on. Unless you are of perfect proportions like Leonardo da vincis drawing of the man, you will have to tweak each part to fit you. There are several posts on measuring and tweaking the files on this sight. Maybe you could read up more on it.

Re: FOAM speed building files'n'tricks ►Daft Punk helmet◄ added.

I need a break.... I'm going to have to unsubscribe from this thread if I want to finish my stuff..... awesome you unfolded these.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back