Page 2 of 133 FirstFirst 12345671252 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Manila, Philippines
    Jun 2, 2012, 8:56 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #26

Awesome tips! Would try Making good use of them on my next build. Love the detailed stuff on how to Glue parts!
    From
    Belgium
    Jun 2, 2012, 9:11 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #27

Those are really great ! Thank you !
    Although I've been playing around with the lower forearm assembled in paper, and in its original size, it is quite short, and to get the right length, it would need a +20% scale but then it's too wide... I guess 10% would do, but still a bit short as it should go all the way up the elbow (the upper part of the gauntlet, that is)... Anybody else have this problem ? Or is it just me who has long arms ?
    Funny thing is the rest of the parts seems to be the right size without modifying anything even if I have not assembled them nor print them, I just compared the "assembled size" Pepakura Designer gives to my measurements.
  3. Member Since
    May 2012
    From
    Broseley UK
    Jun 3, 2012, 5:48 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #28

Awesome tips...LOVE the cola bottle. Will definitely be using that in my WARMACHINE suite!!

Cheers
  4. Plaster surgeon RPF Premium Member animefan's Avatar
    From
    Canada
    Jun 3, 2012, 9:09 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #29

thanks for the files, they should help out for my mk 7
  5. Member Since
    May 2012
    Jun 4, 2012, 6:59 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #30

Very cool, I think I might give this a shot.
    Few questions: Any advice on scaling your particular files? I'm 6'7 and 190 lbs, so I'm finding it a bit tricky to get a good fit for many parts.

What thickness of foam are you using?
    From
    Cleveland OH
    Jun 5, 2012, 11:33 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #31

@ JF-

How do you add the tabs in pepakura? I do custome unfolds all the time, but never play with add tabs back in. This could prove very useful.
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jun 5, 2012, 3:27 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #32

Dont Panic said: View Post
    Few questions: Any advice on scaling your particular files?
    What thickness of foam are you using?
    Hi guys,
    well, these files are scaled quite strictly the same than those from this thread : Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files because I've only rearranged the edge combinations of most of the pieces for each part of the armor. My advice is : scale it the same as if you were scaling Darkside501st's pep files, besause they are also stemmed from the single same Darkside501st's 3D model.
    I use rolls of 6.5mm thickness, that I can more or less harden with a light or heavy coat of Sikafill. Or Rubson. Or every similar coating that is called upon sealing roofs from rain.

teragon said: View Post
    Although I've been playing around with the lower forearm assembled in paper, and in its original size, it is quite short, and to get the right length, it would need a +20% scale but then it's too wide... I guess 10% would do, but still a bit short as it should go all the way up the elbow (the upper part of the gauntlet, that is)...
    One of the main plus we have to build with foam, in my opinion, is that once done we can easily cut or add foam pieces here and there and around, in order to fix these kind of issues.

Shades said: View Post
    How do you add the tabs in pepakura? I do custome unfolds all the time, but never play with add tabs back in. This could prove very useful.
    In fact, all the pieces of the object displayed in the half left of Pepakura are necessarily present too on the sheets laydown at the half right. If you do not see them, it's often because they have been aggregated outside of the white area. Scroll and you'll find them. Or use 'cut/join' function. Or undo/redo unfolding... You can't miss them. Anyway, you can't add a piece that does not already belongs to the (undolded or not) object.

1- 3D object
    2- unfolded pattern
    3- assembled foam

I don't add anything, I simply re-use unused pieces.

Have fun.
  8. Member Since
    Apr 2012
    Jun 5, 2012, 4:21 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #33

I love you. Thanks for this.
    Jun 5, 2012, 4:34 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #34

I'll likely never make an Ironman costume, but this tutorial is AWESOME for tips on how to think through foam/armor/3d pieces.

The smilies crack me up too.
  10. Member Since
    May 2012
    Jun 6, 2012, 12:12 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #35

Thanks for the info, I think I've tracked down some thin enough foam, can't wait to get started. I've been poking through your file, and had a few more questions. Some of the pieces have what look to be like large flaps on the edges, some times sperated by evenly dashed lines, sometimes not. Are these "flaps", for lack of a better work, supposed to fold a certain direction to help create a raised/lowered area, or am I misinterpreting this?
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jun 6, 2012, 3:06 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #36

You're in the truth.
    I've left some important lines where it was important to leave some lines. A large part of pep-foaming is based on this :

You'll often have to give a shape to a single piece of foam in order to decrease the amount of seams.

Let's play with a MKVII handplate :

_
  12. Member Since
    May 2012
    Jun 6, 2012, 4:28 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #37

Thanks, that drawing was really helpful. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out how to make small cuts on the underside of the foam to bend it to get the step... Now it makes much more sense.
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jun 6, 2012, 5:34 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #38

The main two usefull ways I use to make steps :

Here's drawn a third method to realize a half-step. Usefull for thicker foam, or for detailed areas such as helmet or gloves, neck, ARK area...

From
    Lorraine, FRANCE
    Jun 7, 2012, 6:07 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #39

Thank you for your help! And I can not wait to see your MarkVII!!!?
  15. Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Jun 7, 2012, 4:58 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #40

JF, got any tips for cutting the triangle out for the mountain fold without going through the other side? I can see people having trouble keeping the depth consistent.
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jun 7, 2012, 5:21 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #41

I must confess it did never happened to me, which explains my lack of tip about that. Anyway, if cutting at once each side of the triangle turns to failure, they may try to cut concentric triangles, starting with a small shallow one, and going larger to deeper until almost reaching the other side. The way a beaver would do...

Edit : conscientious that I am, I've just tryed out. At first I've sharpened my knife (ALWAYS resharpening, as soon as you feel that you don't cut warm butter), I apply my thumb on the side of the blade AND on the foam simultaneously, so as to prevent the blade from pearcing through it. My inch acts as a depth stop.
    Never had problem.
    Last edited by JFcustom; Jun 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM.
    Jun 21, 2012, 11:23 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #42

Any updates?
  18. eldonnaty is offline eldonnaty
    Jun 21, 2012, 12:36 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #43

Sir I Say sir i Tip My Hat To You For making this Much Easier for some of us thanks!!
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jun 25, 2012, 2:40 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #44

mizuno hadouken said: View Post
    Any updates?
    Given that I did not had time enough to even plug my brand new glue gun yet, it's not too late to change my mind and select an other suit. I've just unfolded the foam version of Iron Man Extremis Pepakura Files and will build this suit instead (or at first).

And anyhow still in 4 days.
  20. Member Since
    Apr 2012
    From
    everywhere
    Jun 25, 2012, 9:31 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #45

Hi! JF custom, i wonder if you are going to share, your extremis foam version files, i will appreciate if y ou do so. Best regards!
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jun 25, 2012, 10:02 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : FOAM Iron Man MkVII within 4 days. #46

The .rar package is in the first post of the link above.

EyeofSauron said: View Post
    Here is the full set of files for the
    Iron Man extremis armor!
    [...]
    and here are JFCustoms modified foam files!
    EyeofSauron's IM Extremis - JFcustom's foam version.rar

Cheers
    EoS
  22. Member Since
    Apr 2012
    From
    everywhere
    Jun 25, 2012, 10:35 AM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #47

Thanks for the files JFcostume and EoS.
    From
    Northridge, CA
    Jun 25, 2012, 4:25 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #48

thx a lot for the foam mod files, btw the link for the extremis on the first post is incorrect btw
    From
    France, Indre et Loire
    Jun 25, 2012, 7:11 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #49

Oops :\

Fixed
  25. msleeper is offline msleeper
    Jun 25, 2012, 7:31 PM - Re: Speed-building files'n'tricks : 4 days FOAM Iron Men. #50

This is such a great thread! Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge, JFcustom. I think what a lot of foam threads forget to mention (that this thread is dedicated to) is to not blindly follow your templates and to use your brain when cutting, gluing, and building your foam suits. The templates make things easy, but you still need to think about how to put it all together.