JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks ►Guyver files in progess◄

Do you sleep? That forearm spike looks interesting to make...

Got both thighs done and the most of the cod...makes me look like I got buns of steel...well foam.

I'm guessing you'll have a ton of Guyvers pop up after you finish this. Thanks!

Hey JF
Was just wondering if these could be made out of .50 eva? - The Kmart here in town is going out of business and I bought 12 mats (24x24x.50) for 20 bucks. I know some of the side pieces (mark 7 chest rib sections the stack) I am going to have to use some a smaller mm cause it will be to high. Also thinking about using it for most of the armor but I dont want it to look out of proportional. Thoughts?
Thanks

Hey lionyl. I used .5 on my first build and it damaged very easily. I use .8 since. No need to fluctuate widths in different areas either. Stick to the same width throughout.

0.5 inches makes something like 12mm... well I never had any feedback about any issue concerning a failed build with both my pdo files and some 12mm thick foam. The thing you must know is that of course the more thick is your material, the more narrow will be the 'habitable space' inside of your suit.
Even for the abs I'm sure you can also use some 12mm foam. You may applie these process if needed :

You can thin the foam on the gluing area,
or plainly cut up your pieces of foam without caring about the dot-lined overlap you'll see on the pep files. Illustration :

6vs12mm.gif

Last edited:
Re: FOAM speed-building ►added : Loki's helmet & Guyver suit & Iron Woman◄

Nice Loki helmet. I will definitely be building this. Any tips for the build?

Edit: Tips specific to the Loki helmet and not foam building tips since I know you have a whole thread on that lol.

Edit: Tips specific to the Loki helmet and not foam building tips since I know you have a whole thread on that lol.
Yes, I got it :lol

Some advice... well yes, at the horn gluing stage we have three loooong pieces to snap together. To be sure to obtain a well curved horn, you may want to face them up first and glue them point by point, this way :

lokihorntip.gif

Ha!!!! Awesome!!! Love the fact you did Loki's helmet. I've always been a fan of the prankster.

Thanks for the replies - Just to clarify - sorry - new to all this peping and foam. I have a helmet pepp'd from sharks files and I think it turned out ok not perfect by any means. but back on point- When looking at your files the dotted lines will be where I would cut the foam and apply glue and overlap as shown by 12mm? I think just butting them up would not be that stong. May I ask what are you guys using to make say a angle in a piece. I have been practicing making 45 degree cuts and glueing them together but I still get a small valley between the two edges. Would it be easier to maybe fill the valley with a product and than sand to make it perfect?
Thanks again -

That's it, the dotted lines along the borders of the paper templates are here to delimitate
- the real outter side of the suit (in grey)
from
- the strip that will recieve glue and will be overlapped (in blue) by another piece of foam.

If you're using your 12mm foam, by thinning the blue area you can act like if you were working with some 6mm foam, or you can also completely remove this blue edge depending of the method you plan to assemble your foam pieces.

I've been asked if I had used some 2, 3 or 5 mm when building Sharkhead's helmet, in fact it was some 7mm foam. The illusion was due to the fact that I used several ways to snap the pieces of foam together, depending of the rendering I expected at the surface. Low, medium, heigh, and progressive step :
indentations.gif

Gluing pieces side to side will probably be less strong, but will it be not strong enough ? I can't say. No dammage here so far.

To fill the remaining gaps, and unexpected valleys, and overall every 'factory-dammages', I don't think any sandable product can go well. Because foam is flexible, and something you can sand is not. As a result your join will keep on breaking at every bending. I've successfully tryed a simple and common alternative : the silicone bathroom mastic-glue-gun.
silicone-sealant-in-a-caulk-gun.jpg

It sticks, it fills, it's slick and smooth, and it can be shaped. The only thing is you must paint it or primer it with any spray you want before it's dry, or nothing will further hold on to this stuff.

ok -
I started with the lower forearm traced it out onto the foam and cut all solid lines line out of just the top piece to start - My question is do I also cut on the dotted line(non edge) as well to make smaller pieces and glue together or do I cut triangles to make a seamless edge? I tried several different things but the result is the same-- looks like something that I wouldnt even admit I did -lol
Sorry for all the noob questions - I think once I understand the what cut needs to go where it should go together pretty quick..

Humm... In fact the whole purpose of having unfolded each part with the less amount of pieces as possible is precisely to avoid spliting and gluing back two consecutive pieces.:facepalm

topforearm00.gif

On this part, every dotted line is here to show where to make a V cut on the inner side of the foam to obtain a seamless mountain, as shown on the 3D view. If we except that it's faster, and that it prevents from getting your 'small valley between the two edges' you don't even need to fill anymore with any product to make it perfect, well yes the result is roughly the same.:behave

One simple thing also is you don't have to mix the dotted lines that represent a mountain or a valley, with the dotted lines that delimit a gluing area. But it might not be much harder on the picture above that on the one below :
unfoldedcubewtabs.gif

In case of doubt, always refer to the 3D view of Pepakura viewer... :)

You're right to ask these things before instead of after. And I can only compliment you for trying several building ways. I aim to explain how I do, not how you must do. :)

So.... the Guyver shoulder can double as a Spaceballs helmet.....

:lol
Damn, should've joined few better ref pics... :facepalm

> WarHammer Spacemarine armor <

Overview :

Scaled for a 6' guy
Overall size of the suit = 186 cm

spacemarine00.jpg

Files :

spacemarine helmet.pdo

spacemarine boot.pdo

spacemarine shin.pdo

spacemarine thigh.pdo

...The remaining files are coming...

Shapes and parts are so simple that it will probably be the quickest suit to build.
But in return it will need A LOT of foam. A really very big lot.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back