JFcustom's FOAM files

Hi all,

can anyone tell me what the gaps represent in the (Classic Iron Man) armor when looking at the parts in Pepakura Designer? Are they part of the design or do they represent gluing areas?
I also have a question for JF: would it be possible to create/release a OBJ file for the Classic Iron Man,as was done for the Extremis V2?

I appreciate your reply.By the way,thank you so much for the release of the zip files with all the different foam armor types,and credit for those who built them.

I think they are parts that would have to be done in fabrics. The suit was only helmet, neck seal, chest/cod, gauntlets and boots. The rest fit skin tight like a body suit.

Thank you for the reply,Electraflier.I may have used the wrong word in my question though.I meant to say that once a piece is assembled and glued,in the Pepakura Designer you still see cracks/gulleys in the displayed component.Do they represent creases/folds in the armor or are they actually gulleys in a smooth surface?
Thank you for your reply (and patience).

Thank you for the reply,Electraflier.I may have used the wrong word in my question though.I meant to say that once a piece is assembled and glued,in the Pepakura Designer you still see cracks/gulleys in the displayed component.Do they represent creases/folds in the armor or are they actually gulleys in a smooth surface?
Thank you for your reply (and patience).

Both folds and seams that need to be glued will show up as lines in the 3d view. If you want to see where the actual seams are, go to 3d Menu>View Setup...> and move the slider under Size of Opening (after folded). This will show the seams separated in the 3d view (It does not change the actual unfold at all).

@ Laellee & Electraflier:

these were the 'gulleys' I was referring to:
View attachment 374329
I wasn't sure what to make of it,since the final product for any Iron Man suit looks smooth.
Sorry for the confusion earlier.

Get on pepakura, 3D MENU>VIEW SETUP>Size of opening (after unfolded). Those are the seams that get glued, the function listed before allows you to make them larger or smaller, without changing the model. It is a tool to help you see joining points.

As a side note, Electraflier, I explained this in a post two days ago and then didn't post it, because I thought there was NO WAY this is what he was talking about. :facepalm

I see a lot of Iron Man suits with gaps between the thigh and codpiece where an undersuit shows. Is this unavoidable or did these people just not make the thigh pieces long enough?

I'm trying to avoid an undersuit for the bottom of the suit. I don't mind wearing underarmor under the top of the suit, but I'd like to be able to wear regular blue jeans under it in case I decided to change.

I've been working diligently on my cardboard suit, but I'm having doubts about it being done by Halloween :(

I think I'm going to do the abs and neck seal out of foam, and maybe after halloween I'll cover them with liquid latex as a final finish instead of paint.

I'm also on the fence about starting my own thread because there have been so many iron man builds already.

Dadpool: Awesome build,Dadpool :D very original.
By the way,when browsing through the different Iron Man folders I could only find one folder for the hands.Does this mean the hand template is universal and fits on any suit?
laellee: thank you for your explanation.Meanwhile I have found online manuals for both Pepakura viewer and designer,so I will sit with that for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone tell me though why some of the parts sometimes are piled up off-screen instead of divided over the white sheet when you view an object in Pepakura viewer?
View attachment 374644
Is that an error in the unfolding process?

Can anyone tell me though why some of the parts sometimes are piled up off-screen instead of divided over the white sheet when you view an object in Pepakura viewer?
View attachment 374644
Its most likely one side of the main chest piece. Since the main chest piece is symmetrical when you draw the templates on the foam you could simply flip the paper to get the template for the other half of the chest

View attachment 374644

Those are the flat edges and pieces that you don't need when working with foam. Trust the templates....but trust the image on the program when assembling too. I can confirm those are not needed on this project unless you want to build in a different style than what they are designed for. If you want to use them just drag them back into view.

Attachments

• 1899551_10203295064915307_1516442323_o.jpg
    1899551_10203295064915307_1516442323_o.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 497
Hi JFCustom,
I just saw GOTG for the first time this week.
I had two days to prepare (or around 12 hours total) to come up with this.

Foam build is fun!!!

Thank you, and thank you Helagak for the shoulder armor

Attachments

• 37898431043.jpg
    37898431043.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 484
I see a lot of Iron Man suits with gaps between the thigh and codpiece where an undersuit shows. Is this unavoidable or did these people just not make the thigh pieces long enough?

I think this is done for mobility's sake. Keep in mind if you have the edges of each piece aligned right up to each other in the ideal (standing) stance, then when you move around these edges will move as well. So the top of your thigh will collide with the bottom of your cod... either one or both of the pieces will 'give' or shift to accommodate, or you just won't be able to move that part of your body at all.

I think this is done for mobility's sake. Keep in mind if you have the edges of each piece aligned right up to each other in the ideal (standing) stance, then when you move around these edges will move as well. So the top of your thigh will collide with the bottom of your cod... either one or both of the pieces will 'give' or shift to accommodate, or you just won't be able to move that part of your body at all.

I thought that if the cod piece was large enough the thigh pieces would taper and fit inside and allow you to bend, kinda like a 4" G.I.Joe figure. Maybe I'm wrong. It appears even the movie iron man had a slight bit of undersuit showing.

vlcsnap-2014-09-11-21h52m01s86.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back