JFcustom's FOAM files

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : Sharkhead IM helmet

It's a chance, because it's also the cheapest I could find.
But in return, since it's provided in rolls, every piece I cut up always wants to spring back to its rolled shape. As a result I have to cut each piece in the way of the width or the heigh of the roll, but never in slantwise or the final armor part is distorded. The same problem for symetrical parts : the same foam piece for both leg for example must be cutted out in the same way, or your legs are not strictly identic.
It leads to an incredible amount of waisted foam.

Last edited:

Damn that Iron Man lid is incredibly fantastic considering it's made of foam.

Awesome job on this thread and the file mods. Thanks. Think I may have found my new helmet approach. (Halloween is coming, gotta hurry!)

I don't know if it's me or what, but I am unable to view any pictures uploaded to wintershade. Is there a way I can get around this?

Base zero. I'm currently 7 days into a 14 day speed build using jf's mk3 files, including full time job and I'm more than half complete. These files are awesome. Next Friday is the deadline.

I'll post a picture once he's complete. You will defo get it done by Halloween. One thing I did notice, because of the thickness of the foam, pretty much all the helmet files are to small for me. I'm 22.5 inch cranium lol. So I upped the scale on this one a bit.

... The full suit is complete and will be parceled soon, I'll take pics before packing it.
From 288 foam pieces...

...to a full markIV suit :

And here are some close'ups of the way I use the overlaps to build quite cleanly most of a suit's parts. Here, a back part.

Last edited:

Excellent work, JFCustom!! I hope my foam helmet turns out like that (on my fourth one now).

Couple of questions for you:

1) Did your helmet allow you to get your head inside it without having to remove the bottom back piece closest to the neck?

2) Do you have a recommendation for cutting smooth curves into 4mm or 6mm foam sheets? I just can't get clean round or curved cuts even with brand new Xacto knife blades. I attached a photo below of my lower forearm build (6mm foam)

3) I really like how your boots came out..what thickness of foam are they?

Thanks so much!

Cheers :)

Last edited:

Hi Mr Tallpirate, thanks for the feedback :)

1- My helmet allow me to put my head inside without removing anything, since I haven't glued the line between the front of the ear and the back of the jaw. I only have to splay it in two so my head can slip inside. When releasing it holds back its shape.
But the helmet shown above is not sized for me, and anyway it has been buit on demand in a single solidary part in order to be molded and casted. So are the boots, the neck, and all other parts we can't wear without cutting them somewhere.

2- cutting successfully smooth curves is always possible. Depending of the flexibility of the foam, pivoting the blade while moving it forward can be more or less arduous. With smooth foam it goes alone, as simple as you were drawing this same curve with a pen. But the more dense, thick, and rigid is the foam, the more you'll have to proceed 'jerkily', just like you where sawing a woodboard. But a very small woodboard and with a very small saw. Or a tattooist's stylus. Or the head of a dot matrix printer. Make several and several tiny up and down movements with an order of magnitude of few millimeters, and all in the meanwhile keep your blade fairly turned in the direction of the curve you want to follow. In principle the blade won't break, and at the end you'll obtain the clean curve you wanted. It is a slow process, and quickly boring, but you shouldn't stop and restart in the middle of a cut.
It doesn't work every time for very tight turns, like the top of the tree vents of your forearm. Here, a dremel can be welcome, or some coping saw. The best remains a scroll saw.

3- always my same favorite 7mm polyethilene foam from Oxylane fitness mats. Gives some few drawbacks which I'm used to, but it's so cheap I don't want to buy another kind! Available in red yellow blue and dark grey. Moded pep files for the boots shared here in the first post.

I think I'll have time enough tomorrow to edit and build a mkVIII helmet in the same vein. I didn't start anything yet for halloween... It will be the very rush.

JF... are you kidding me? AWESOME... it looks like that thing was machine made. I agree that the foam looks different than what I've seen. Wish I could find it in the states! great work

JF, Thanks for your detailed response. Much appreciated.

I was wondering if a hot knife would help cut the thicker foam (6mm and 4mm) curves much easier than Xacto/hobby knives. Would you recommend this?

Thanks

A hot knife... I can't say, because I don't know. I've never used any hot knife, but if cuting foam is its vocation, it probably works well.

I ordered this hot knife for crafts and foam from Amazon this morning, along with 2 extra blades.

Amazon.com: Walnut Hollow Professional HotKnife: Toys & Games
Hope you'll let me know if it's worth, and if it does not melt the foam down too much...

___

Pics of today's try at an unfold/build of a mkVIII helmet.

(I've removed this wip pdo. You'll find the final *.pdo file few posts below...)

Can anyone tell me whose model it seams to be, so I can add name and credit ?
Edit : ok, found. Thank you guys.

Last edited:
Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : #mk8 IM helmet

That helmet looks like the files from trojanwr21 mate, you'll have to ask him for confirmation...hope that helps

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : #mk8 IM helmet

Thanks. It appears it's basically Labsic's model. I'll have to perform some minor edits to make it more foam-friendly before releasing a definitive *.pdo.
I don't want anyone to be upset, but in my opinion I find its global shape closer to the 'real' one than skylu3Design's attempt, which for its part may seem rounder and somehow more freestyle. I'll have a go to it too later.

Re: FOAM speed-building files'n'tricks : Labsic's mk8 IM helmet

Damned!
Was about to glue all night long... and I've just broke the trigger of my glue gun. :facepalm :cry
The real life is much too pragmatic.

My Holy Destiny turns into going to bed.:lol

Last edited:
JF as always I'd like to thank you for all your effort and hard work. I'd like to show you some pictures of a suit I made using your files. It was a project with a very strict 14 day deadline, completed in 13.5 days, the first 2 of which were spent mentally preparing, so 11.5 day build total. I also have a full time job and completed 2 characters in resident evil 6 during these 14 days, so this is PROOF anyone can do it.

The suit was made for a guy that lives miles away from me and was scaled to his exact size using tons of measurements sent by text.

It's a piece I am VERY proud of so I can't thank you enough. The pictures do NOT do this suit justice. The finish is an extremely glossy pearl nightfire red and solar gold which literally gleams.

Here is the new owner in the completed suit (he's been advised to pull the thighs up):

uruvyby8.jpg

jepuvyge.jpg

hasuvahu.jpg

4eva7a9a.jpg

u6e6u2e7.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back